A friend of mine posted this on facebook. Of course this kid was the biggest, shady drug addict and thief when he was a teenager. Then he "found god". I try really hard to ignore shit like this the best I can. What would you guys do? Not specifically for this actual posting, just in general. When people you know post crap like this online, or you overhear friends making snarky comments what do you do? I didn't comment on this. It's kind of funny. If it was malicious, then I would have. 

Views: 2188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, my cousin posted this exact thing a few weeks ago! So I gave him a big lecture and have been posting atheist pictures whenever I get the chance.

So, in answer to your question: anything people post in appreciation of religion is a thing that I can't ignore.

This is the problem with things like Facebook and Twitter- an ability to push agendas, from all points.  A friend of mine once said that he disliked social networks because he felt a medium where you could instantly get any thought you have out to potentially millions of people is a dangerous thing.  How many things do we simply type into FB or Twitter that in real life we'd stop and think about first. 

I'm going off these sites and haven't used them for a few weeks now (Though did have to go on twitter recently to send a DM).  I no longer debate creationists either anymore.  I don't see the point, I'm not going to convince them and it's unlikely they'll convince me.  And besides, I wouldn't be conclusively swayed by their evidence as I'm not in the right fields of research to fully understand such levels of proof, hence I must defer to those qualified and as such it is their job to convince the scientific establishment and not to convince me.

I think we need to pick and chose our battles.  I've got a lecture to give next month on the myths of Christmas which will be posted online hopefully, but that's as far as my Christmas debate will go this year, after spending way too much time arguing over it with Christians.

My response to stuff like this is always the same:

I love the way the author of that quote doesn't seem to understand that believing in God as the creator of the universe is believing in a magical wizard who created a universe by invoking magic.

like.

I'm always amazed by the number of psychopaths that find Jesus and become televangelists.

I usually respond to things that are as false as that. Politely, of course, simply by saying something like 

"Actually, atheism has nothing to say about those topics, you're talking about abiogenisis and evolution. Here are some links to help you understand these terms a little better". 

I tend to ignore "pray for this person for this reason" type comments because you can't win (unless they post on my wall "i am praying for you"). 

The big thing to remember is, generally when people post stuff like that, a logical and reasoned response means nothing to them. 

I agree with those that suggest to pick your battles.  I have family members who really only repost unoriginal religious content.  I ignore most of it, as its crap fluff stuff anyway.  I most certainly respond to the posts where they are asserting someone elses opinion and spin it for themselves.  A recent example was when a cousin of mine posted about the apparent attack on religion for schools and the Pledge of Allegiance, and groups that are fighting it as unconstitutional.  Her post essentially said it was unconstitutional to have it removed, and I pointed out how it is actually unconstitutional to have it there.  It led to a good discussion, unfortunately (as my position was correct) I was unmoved, and the other respondents (all in counter to my position) seemingly dismissed everything I posted. 

Again, its all about picking your battles...

I also try to ignore that kind of stuff, but I had a friend who went to bible college and all that, and all he ever posted was bible quotes. I ignored them for the most part, but some posts were so hateful and ignorant that I debated with him and 4 of his religious friends, including one of his teachers for quite some time.

Another person from my college days does the same on her FB. Constant jesus quotes, and I just hide her posts and move on with life.

But if you want to poke fun, you can always post this image on their page.

http://bornagainpagan.com/other/028-zombie-jesus.jpg

Attachments:

I ignore it. I see soooo much crap I hate seeing posted to my friends' Facebook pages, and sometimes it makes me really angry to see it. But I just click on the "hide status" option and get rid of it and move on. I see no reason to confront my friends on their views when they show no intention to change them. I live and let live, I guess you'd say.

Only time I ever say anything is when they ASK for a friendly debate. And then I keep it very civil.

Yea, this I would respond to. Its not enough that uneducated people push their beliefs in schools to indoctrinate school children with this nonsense but they laugh at science. If there is one thing that deserves respect in this world it is science. It offers the only real source of truth that can be proven undeniable. And people still choose to ignore it and claim they are right because they take pride in their ignorance.

If anyone here has ever had to explain String theory or the beginnings of the Jurassic or Cretaceous periods then you understand.  

RSS

Forum

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 2 hours ago. 19 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 47 Replies

The Angelina Jolie Effect

Started by Belle Rose in Biology and Medicine. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 4 Replies

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service