A friend of mine posted this on facebook. Of course this kid was the biggest, shady drug addict and thief when he was a teenager. Then he "found god". I try really hard to ignore shit like this the best I can. What would you guys do? Not specifically for this actual posting, just in general. When people you know post crap like this online, or you overhear friends making snarky comments what do you do? I didn't comment on this. It's kind of funny. If it was malicious, then I would have. 

Views: 2222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On facebook and wherever online I generally ignore things like this. I tend to respond only when someone comments on something I wrote. Stuff like this doesn't really mean anything, at least to me. It's bumper sticker stuff, not philosophically important.

When confronted with things like this, my philosophy is "Temper your integrity with compassion." But when in doubt, I guess I act like someone working in a mental health facility-- let it go if it doesn't harm anyone.

I only really speak up when it concerns children. I'd just about crucify someone for indoctrinating kids because I consider it mutilation and know how sick it makes the world, but short of that I usually just do what some other people posting here do; throw in some short and light sarcasm and go to sleep telling myself that their silliness is dying out with them.

And yet, indoctrination doesn't work in the end, does it? Most of us were probably indoctrinated and probably spent some years as believers. It isn't indoctrination which keeps people religious, it's mental inertia and sloth, liking the social aspects of going to church, and of course...fear of death.

Yeah but I'd say the "mental inertia" works in atheism's favor as well. Indoctrination has become exponentially less effective since the dawn of the age of information. The religious teachings being passed down are gradually diluted from generation to generation. People just don't care enough to preserve the teachings in their original context (Islam being the most resilient) because it's just not convenient for anyone living in a society as progressive as ours to go around treating women as if they're inferior, owning slaves, and bashing babies against rocks. It's ironic, but I'd argue that you can thank or blame America's laziness for religion's decline.

I can't help but to speak up when someone "flaunts" their religion by attacking someone else's beliefs or lack of beliefs. I find it very easy to hold back when someone says "god bless you" and stuff like that though because they are trying to be sincere to me. The only time I speak up is when someone is attacking someone else's beliefs or when my friends ask me about Atheism and ask me a few questions.

I spent years trying to force myself to believe in god, so now 99% of my facebook friends are Xtians. Honestly every single day is filled with this very same degree of shit which I ignore until they bring it on to my wall. At that point I let loose with a flood of pent up rage and frustration.

All in all I just sort of bottle it up until it is too late and then remove them from my friends list.

A facebook "friend" super-christian woman I used to work with posted some idiotic disparaging nonsense about how April 1st was atheist day. I informed her that I was a lifelong atheist and that it was so very christian of her to mock and put down a minority group. I asked her "what happened to the nice person I used to work with?" She responded with an insincere apology and more nonsense about the lord challenging her to acknowledge her mistakes and what amounted to pity for those who did not believe. I realized that the prospect of independent thought was, for this woman, as foreign a concept as subsisting on a diet of acid and broken glass. Most religious people are so fanatical in their beliefs that changing their mind is a physical impossibility - not to mention I would be just as hypocritical as them to try - so I never do.

We must handle it the same way they handle it when we post Pro-Athiest pics and links. Silence. My path to Athiesm was my own and no one could change my mind. I imagine their delusion of God and Jesus being real is just as unshakeable and it's better to ignore it. Kinda like dog poop on the sidewalk. Yes it's rude, in bad taste, ill-planned and a nuisance to everyone, but in the end, it will dry up and wither away...sort of like worshipping Zeus.

A friend of mine posted this on FB as well and I too, said nothing.  I debated over it since it totally makes no sense whatsoever.  I want FB to be a fun place, to catch up with friends and family and I try not to get into debates if I can help it.  It bothered me for a few days and I went back to it, but in the end, I said nothing because I know, that no matter what I said, there would be no "lightbulb" moment for my friend.

Such a silly description. I love the comment he makes about the saying. "Glory to Jesus!" lol :p

I agree with you, this was harmless, however if this person was posting this just because they knew you were an atheist and did it to smite you I would've said something.  I think that people post things like this because sometimes they want someone to make a scene over it but then you just blow it back in their face by not doing anything.

I don't feel the need to take a part in every single debate that I see, but I like reading them. But when I see an error, that's when I can't ignore it anymore.
It doesn't matter if it's the theist or the atheist who's making the mistake.
I have seen countless of debates about Creationism vs. Evolution where the theist makes a statement about evolution that is plain wrong.
I have also seen atheists make wrong claims about different religions.

That's when I intervene. I can't stand it if an argument is based on flaws.

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 3 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 25 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 7 hours ago. 9 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 9 hours ago. 134 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 16 hours ago. 27 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service