This is not only for those in our community who consider themselves Republican but for those who are Democrat, Libertarian and everything in between; What do you dislike about Obama.

Here's what I see:

- Came into a shit-storm of a situation, economy wrecked and in two wars.

- He made decisions that can be criticized and should be however, the economy is on the mend.

- He has ended one war and is ending another one.

- He has restored the reputation of this country in the eyes of much of the rest of the world.

- He killed Osama.

- He created health care reform that will benefit millions (not perfect by any means, but a step in the right direction for sure)

- He ended DADT

He has disappointed us in many ways as well but all in all I think he has done well considering not only the circumstances he came into, but also the hostile and overtly racist government he has to deal with.

What are your thoughts on this? What do you dislike about Obama?

Views: 2139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a non-American, this is the only president that I have ever respected. For the first time you appear to have a very clever (a first), and, as much as a politician can be, honest leader. I think he is a cut above nearly every leader except for the Queen (UK - the only true diplomat).
But then, as a non-American, my opinion doesn't matter.

Thank you Helena  - and your opinion does matter.  Not your vote perhaps, but your opinion certainly does.  Obama has genuine leadership qualities and I agree with you that he is an honest leader and worthy of our respect.  Here though - the money that is used to muddy the argument is stunningly out of proportion to what the left has to reveal the truth. 

Most important of all though, is that republicans in this country have worked long and diligently to decimate our education system.  They've been at it for over thirty years now.  They know that an educated electorate is not their friend.  We must have the most ignorant electorate in the developed world - and even among many undeveloped nations.

The republican party here is very big on propaganda and take pages directly from Hitler's play book to keep people scared, uninformed and uninterested.

Obama is a centrist - which I am sad about ... But he is honest, intelligent, and well-intentioned.  This country has been dragged so far to the right now by the republican's relentless propaganda that he could never have been elected as a progressive though.  I don't know if we can find our way back or not.  Certainly not on our present course where electronic voting machines have completely destroyed the democratic process, and the courts are stacked against the people.

i think our last great president, one that actually tried to do something right for rights sake, was jfk. but we all know what haooen to him.

Lyndon Johnson actually accomplished more and Jimmy Carter is underrated, if you ask me, and both of them were faithful to their wives, too, which should count for something. JFK was banging women ranging from college girl interns to Marilyn Monroe.

Carter had a deeply ingrained sense of honor - he declined to actively campaign as long as Americans were held hostage. I respect that depth of character in a man.

Love Carter.  He's an American Hero.

I don't care for many politicians, and Obama is no different. He is arrogant, full of empty promises, stands up only for himself and his cabinet, and apologizes to the world for the United States. I am an independent, but neither type of recent president (Obama or Bush) appeal to me. Specifically, I hate his health care plan. It sounds good on paper, but you cannot keep world class health care by offering everybody free health care. He needs to get his head out of the clouds and come up with something practical and rational. Most importantly, he needs to formulate a health care plan that HE himself would be willing to adopt for his own family...

Any idea how many countries have a national health care system in place?

Lots, but many of them have terrible health care quality and insane waiting periods. Its nice and free but you're screwed if you need something other than minor care. Here's another problem: he has a plan to make healthcare free or affordable to everyone, yet no plan to decrease the cost of med school...nobody is going to want to become a doctor or nurse. Most of Europe has free or very cheap education, so it works out there. 

I'm not sure to what countries you refer as having terrible quality and long waits, but I have a friend in Australia who appears quiite pleased with the health care system there.

I'm from Australia.  Our national health care system is in general very good (not perfect). The waiting lists are for minor non urgent things.  If you have a serious problem you get treatment immediately.  Its similar in the UK.  You can take out private insurance if you like,  it gets you a nicer hospital room, and your choice of doctor, no waiting lists. The same doctors work in both private and public hospitals.  For major or chronic problems you just go public, you will probably get the same doctor anyway,  just not quite as nice  a room. The public hospitals are generally better equipped than the private ones.   The competition between free public and payed private care helps to keep private care cheaper.  No one goes broke here due to medical bills if they have a major problem (though if you cant work and are not insured for loss of income you will have problems).   I am often amused by the inaccurate things I read on US web sites about national health systems,  I guess that there are a lot of vested interests in the US who would loose a lot of money if such a system was ever introduced in the US.

Then it's just as I was told in Australia - thank you, Robert. (A purely unsolicited testimonial - my friend is female)

RE: "The competition between free public and paid private care helps to keep private care cheaper."

This is an EXcellent reason for national health care - I once went to a doctor to get a mole looked at, and just for giggles, I timed how long he spent with me - 12 minutes. He charged me $125! Yes, I know how many years it takes to become a doctor, as well as how much money, but ten dollars per minute, when the country's in a recession?!!

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Erock68la 30 minutes ago. 8 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 70 Replies

An atheist book for children?

Started by Leonard Deke in Small Talk 8 hours ago. 0 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service