This is not only for those in our community who consider themselves Republican but for those who are Democrat, Libertarian and everything in between; What do you dislike about Obama.

Here's what I see:

- Came into a shit-storm of a situation, economy wrecked and in two wars.

- He made decisions that can be criticized and should be however, the economy is on the mend.

- He has ended one war and is ending another one.

- He has restored the reputation of this country in the eyes of much of the rest of the world.

- He killed Osama.

- He created health care reform that will benefit millions (not perfect by any means, but a step in the right direction for sure)

- He ended DADT

He has disappointed us in many ways as well but all in all I think he has done well considering not only the circumstances he came into, but also the hostile and overtly racist government he has to deal with.

What are your thoughts on this? What do you dislike about Obama?

Views: 2151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

here's an except from an the Article When it Comes to Politics, Are "We" More Racist Than We Think? (the we don't mean African Americans)

"The state with the highest racially charged search rate was West Virginia, where 41 percent of voters chose Keith Judd, a white man who is also a convicted felon currently in prison in Texas, over Obama just this May. Louisiana, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, South Carolina, Alabama, and New Jersey rounded out the top 10 most-racist areas, according to the search queries used."

http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/comes-politics-more-racist-think-...

So we DO know who you are...

Oh, so this is your level of "research." I guess you didn't notice that that was an opinion piece, not a piece based on unbiased research.

It also included some very "duh!" facts. Like that google searches on "nigger" tended to end up at racist sites, or that West Virginians voted for an unknown against Obama. First off, I'm sure most people didn't vote at all for Obama since he was clearly going to be the Democratic nominee the next time around, and those who did knew that whoever the guy was running against him on the ballot, he represented a way to complain about the economy and jobs situation. Sure, some of them were making a racist vote, but the article offers no way to sort them out.

The article is meaningless, except to someone looking for racism behind every bush.

lol I'm pretty sure you can read, so the only other explanation I can garner is that you are like the closet republicans in congress. 

Listen, the opinions were the surveys and they used the surveys to form their conclusions not unlike market RESEARCH! 

<moderator>comment removed -- violation of forum policy: personal attacks</moderator>

That last sentence of yours relates to mine: "The article is meaningless, except to someone looking for racism behind every bush." Also, which state I live in is irrelevant since I didn't move here for racial reasons. In fact, I, a white man, live in Euclid, OH, a suburb of Cleveland, OH, which is at least 80% black if not 90%. Of course, maybe they're not black enough for you because they are mostly middle class and don't seem to resent having a white man in their midst.

Like another article you once pounced on, the article you refer to here seems to go way beyond the research in its conclusions. But why not? It's an opinion piece after all.

And for YOU of all people to call me a racist is the absolute pinnacle of blind hypocricy.

btw you must live in one of those states..lmao

unseen where you live in the "suburbs" is that 80 or 90 percent "black?"...if not why did you mention Cleveland having that ratio?

<moderator>comment removed -- violation of forum policy: personal attacks</moderator>

You also show me your racist qualities by thinking I'm racist by discussing it not from the white man's point of view. 

I know you unseen, just not your real motivations.

Ohio IS one of those states..lol

Interestingly Shabaka, you seem to tend to avoid discussions in which you feel you could be proven less than the sage you seem to think you are. You commented earlier about Europeans spreading their thinking around the world, based on power, to which I responded with the following post, which you've clearly avoided answering:

@ Shabaka - Wow, sounds like you're describing the spread of Islam during its heyday! Muslims conquered the Middle East, North Africa, and half of Spain - in what part of Europe did that originate?
It also sounds like, reducing "world" to "territory," you're describing tribal behavior since the first bi-pedal ape picked up the first stick and headed toward another ape antagonistically. How can you confine that kind of behavior to Europe - without getting racial, that is?
RE: "A better question would be what are European cultural values."
I'd love to hear your views on that --

I've never heard anyone say they were voting for Obama because he was black.  Possible though.

There are many real things to criticize about President Obama's first term, but I'd urge everyone to remember two important facts:

1) Politics is zero sum, so if Obama loses, Romney wins.

If just 300 of the 75,000 Florida voters who lodged their protest in 2000 by voting for Ralph Nader had instead voted for Al Gore, there would not have been a war with Iraq or massive tax cuts to balloon the deficit.

2) While the  candidate matters, don't forget that you are electing a party. 

The voters who protested Democrats in 2010 by electing Republicans probably did not realize that the Religious Right was going to use the opportunity to unleash their hatred against gays, immigrants and women, but they should have. 

@ Henry - do you suppose they have now? And will it make a difference in how they vote next time?

Nicely made points - thanks.

When the Florida ballots were finally counted - Gore was the winner.  The supreme court stopped that from happening on behalf of the republican party.  And since then they've stacked the courts even more.  There are going to be 2-3 vacancies on the court in the coming four years.  If republicans get in to stack the court even further - say hello to full on legal fascism.

Republicans only need elections to be close in order to steal them - which they routinely do.  I wish I saw an electorate that understood what was about to happen - but I don't.  It's possible the women's vote will do it for Obama but we can't count on that.

I will say - that as a woman - it's completely depressing that so few of the men here care at all about the women's issues.  I think they're being dismissed as "women's issues" - while thoughtful and insightful men would understand that if our freedoms are at stake - so are theirs, their children's and society's at large. 

The same goes for the unions.  Republicans need to destroy them because they are the only power-base that democrats have to help them win elections.  Republicans have stated specifically that their goal is to de-fund democrats - leading republicans (theoretically) to a permanent majority and White House occupancy.  This is easily found with a google search.  This is a stated goal of the party - so they must destroy unions. 

Republicans cannot win honestly.  They need to lie, steal and cheat in order to win.  And they fight dirty.  I can't understand how ANYONE can't see the direction they're taking this country and how it is going to destroy our democracy.  Take a look at the numbers - republicans SUCK at governing.  The most successful presidential terms for America have been democrats for the last one hundred years or more.

Obama is far from perfect - but he beats the HELL out of ANY republican.

And don't tell me to vote third party - I've been around long enough to know that I'd be throwing away my vote.  I've seen that again and again -we cannot produce a viable third-party candidate at this time.  Maybe - hopefully, some day.  After we tip all of DC back into the swamp and start over.

I too believe it's going to take a revolution ultimately.  How bad do we want it to get before this happens?  The longer we wait the more likely it is that it will be a brutal and violent fight.  Why are all the police departments being militarized?  That's not for terrorists - that's for us.

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Virgil 13 minutes ago. 130 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Belle Rose 16 minutes ago. 13 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by David Seidman 4 hours ago. 8 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 8 hours ago. 25 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Virgil 10 hours ago. 202 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service