This is not only for those in our community who consider themselves Republican but for those who are Democrat, Libertarian and everything in between; What do you dislike about Obama.

Here's what I see:

- Came into a shit-storm of a situation, economy wrecked and in two wars.

- He made decisions that can be criticized and should be however, the economy is on the mend.

- He has ended one war and is ending another one.

- He has restored the reputation of this country in the eyes of much of the rest of the world.

- He killed Osama.

- He created health care reform that will benefit millions (not perfect by any means, but a step in the right direction for sure)

- He ended DADT

He has disappointed us in many ways as well but all in all I think he has done well considering not only the circumstances he came into, but also the hostile and overtly racist government he has to deal with.

What are your thoughts on this? What do you dislike about Obama?

Views: 2781

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow. I posted this in March and it's just getting going now. Pretty cool and thanks everyone.

So:

@ Shabaka -

manipulation of the Black community - could you go into this in greater detail?

I dislike Obama's fear of European cultural power - again more please.

I agree with your stance on the patriot act.

I dislike his embrace of other ethnicities and his taking Blacks for granted just like other presidents before him. Example of this please.

Xian - well yes. But imo deep down inside he's more secular then anything else. The public is not ready for that type of leader. From what I get, he doesn't base his decisions on god, like his predecessor.

@Judith

I agree with much of what you have said. I repeat that he is not perfect in any way and I do not defend the actions which you listed and have been as harsh as a critic as anyone the promised which he has failed to fullfill. Having said that, I suppose I was so completely disillusioned with the past president that to me, he has been much better. In terms of international opinion, I have many friends and families abroad and do listen to BBC and Al Jezeera and from what I've read he is respected more and has returned some respect to the post of president that was destroyed by Bush. Look, bottom line, this country is in crisis. Money has to get out of politics and I hope albeit with a great sense of naivety that he will propose such a bill if he get re-elected. That will bring the process back into the hands of the people. Until that happens, we have no say regardless of who gets in.

@Ed - I agree this is a huge problem. However as others have posted this debt was created by Regean, Clinton's increase to it was interest only, and then Bush went ballistic. President Obama has added to it considerable which I agree is a huge concern but a lot of the increase was interest as well. But yes, it is of huge concern that if someone doesn't take it seriously my children will pay.

President Obama vs Osama. - We can argue about this and I am not one to celebrate the killing of another, but yes in essence we gave rise to Osama way before Obama. So his killing was a significant blow to terrorism whatever that means.

@Sassan - Please expand on "moral coward" and "colossal failure".  I agree with Syria has been a disaster and a moral disaster however, Russia and China are permanent members of the Security Council and they are opposed to any military action. I think this shows if anything the lack of morality of those countries. How many military interventions would you have the US unilaterally responsible for? And what are the consequences for that? I think Syria horrific. But how can you blame a lack of action entirely on President Obama? I feel he has taken very moral stances on issues like Gay rights and women's rights domestically.

Lastly - I like Romey's national security and foreign policy positions - Could you expand on this?

@Giakorina - I feel a third party with serious pull is essential.

@Patricia - The Supreme court is a huge concern of mine. Tilting it to the right in such a dramatic way would be a disaster for women's rights via abortion, gay rights via a national law to legalize gay marriage and religious right via more protection for religious institutions and creationism in schools.

Thanks again everyone for keeping it civil and I look forward to your responses.

Manipulation of the black community...he never truly recognizes the black community as a "power base" that he needs, he just takes them for granted while not bringing their issues to the forefront of public debate....(he champions the gays,(whites) the hispanics,(non black), women (mostly white women's issues) the jews (more subtle), and the middle class (that's predominately white)and there are many black issues that have been ignored since the 1800's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

His fear of European cultural power..he is very careful not to upset the "powers that be"..this is why the progressives/liberals think he has abandoned them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

lol of course you'd agree with the patriot act it's a non specific issues when it come to "race"..it's the privilege of white America...but I understand and ain't mad at you..you've been trained that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

do I really need to give examples of how presidents before Obama (democrats) took the black vote for granted?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

whether he's xtian in his heart or not doesn't matter, he promotes their values and their religion.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wrote I agree with YOUR stance on the Patriot Act if you read it more carefully, and I take issue with the comment on how i've been trained. You don't me that well.

He is more of a pragmatist and a diplomat with the powers that be. His "careful" nature not to make rash decisions does not make him a bad President.

lol u think me stupid?  I can deduce from you comments how you've been trained/educated.

sure he's a pragmatist and diplomate..but did the progressive vote for such?  And of course if he championed "black" causes he'd be a "bad" president, racist, and all that other B.S.

What black causes is he not championing? And if he's not championing them, could it be because he's operating in a democratic environment and isn't a dictator?

what black issues? you say it like the man is keeping the blacks down.

I can't see how Obama being a Christian (right wingers are Xians) - whether real or not, has anything to do with being president.  He is not "in our faces" with it the way Bush was, and other candidates have been - like ... Michelle Bachmann, Santorum and the rest of that phony xian crowd.  Obama has not espoused THEIR values - which include hating the LGBT community and denying women their own rights, including health care and a decent wage.  I agree with Robert that Obama may not be as christian as he makes out ... I also believe he is basically protecting himself from the charge on the right that he is NOT a christian.  Which of course would leave him with no political future at all. 

I am interested - who do you think would do a better job?  I too have arguments with Obama - but I can't think of anyone that could be doing a better job right now.

It's interesting - I have a "fb" friend - who is African American - who was off the map angry at Obama.  She had a list of grievances against him that was rather remarkable to read.  She had the same charge that Obama wasn't doing enough for the black communities.  I couldn't follow her arguments, but then - I'm not black.  One day recently I noticed she was singing his praises to the sun and is totally backing him for president.  I told her I was happy she was behind him now and that her concerns weren't getting in the way of supporting him for president.  She said "Of Course!!" as if nothing to the contrary had ever been said - and I'm not saying she and Shabaka are alike in that regard.  But in her criticisms I saw similarities - and I just never understood them.  Perhaps it's something that is real and completely understandable - to someone who is black - but not to whites or others who are not African American.

Pat but some white folks know everything about Black life in America..and what they don't know don't count.

As far as support, who else can she support?  and he knows it..

I'm very much in that trap myself.  So I support him as I know he's our only chance of turning this country around.  I agree with many out there that he may throw off the moderate to some degree in a second term.  But I am mostly hopeful - not at all counting on it.  Still - he won't have to worry about re-election and that should be to our benefit.

I absolutely love it that a "black" man is president.  I personally believe their deepest need to deny Obama a second term is completely because of his color.  The racism runs deep and strong on the right - they simply can't stand it that he is in the White House and is the "boss" ... they can't say it, but you know they're thinking it .... "Uppity" ... and they want to take him down so bad it's killing them.

For that reason alone we need him to win ... seriously.

Seriously, Barack Obama is NOT a "black" man..he just has dark skin.  He's more his mothers child and Harvard educated..When will people, not only whites but blacks too, stop thinking skin color and hair texture determines ones deep cultural structures?

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service