I recently heard a discussion on christian radio about a person calling him or herself and atheist. The gist is that to call yourself what is essentially a negative, discounts your ethos. People in sobriety do not call themselves "non-drunks" but the more positive and self-affirming "sober". So, the question is, what do you call yourself and why? Personally, I refer to myself as an Evangelical Atheist because I am actively expressing my position and am always willing to join a religious conversation to expound the Atheist point of view. My wife, on the other hand, prefers nontheist. Whether there is a god or not, she could hardly care less and gives neither side any thought.

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is god taken?

I’ve always liked “Enlightened Individual”.

Yeah - god is already taken -  it's me.  But you can always be another one, What the hell, people have been creating them for centuries,so I decided it was a good job & made myself one.  I'm not a real prick like the Xian one. I don;t even want to be worshiped. And I don't need your money.Just don't expect very many favors or interference in either your personal problems of, for that matter - WORLD problems.  I have a whole goddam Universe to look after.

I know, William. Trying to save the planet from itself is really hard, and sometimes depressing, work.

labels are useless and lead to prejudice. I can myself a satan loving islamic terrorist atheist to see how dumb people really get. And yes they come that dumb.

ps i just use atheist...it's easier

The last label I used was "non-believer". It was on a site of a woman who pushes her religion. I mentioned that I am also a volunteer for Secours Catholique here in France. I said I respect Christians who attempt to live a Christ-like life but have little respect for religious fundamentalists. I got a positive response. In this case, I needed to identify myself.

I haven't really thought about what I consider myself. In most online forums/social networking sites, I'm atheist. If asked in person while my mother is around, I off-handedly say "I'm not religious". It doesn't invoke near as much retribution from her than if I said I was an atheist right out.

I've been reading through these comments and I feel like a newbie, or that I came to class unprepared, because I haven't heard of Secular Humanism before. Of course, as of this moment, all my non-religious debating/discussing takes place on the internet alone...so I can't say much.

Carol. We come into this world innocent and vulnerable. We have different pressures, especially from family. It takes awhile to be able to be whom we really are.

On occasion, I have replied that of course I believe in Zeus - with a smile. (And prepared to accuse the other of being an Atheist if he didn't believe in Zeus.)

Zeus? Zeus!  What's wrong with you?  It's THORS DAY!

I've begun the study of one god each week.  I like to know who I don't believe in.

I've also made references to Greek or Norse gods.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service