This is what I need to know.  I don't want to comment, only listen. 

Views: 2531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So when will the Vorlons come by to ask who women are?

I'm more worried about a Vogon spaceship showing up to make way for some sort of intergalactic hyperspace bypass.

Unseen - I was positive that you would have replied with -

'A good bonking'.

: )

I'm a little more sophisticated than that. PLUS...I'm a nerd.

A "sophisticated nerd"

Well now I want to ask you if your asexual but I better not.

Hahaha!!!

Women are not some monolithic single being. We're people. We're complex and we don't all want the same things. If you're wondering what a specific woman wants, you'd have to ask her, and honestly, if the answer is, "Not you." you need to accept that like an adult and move on.

You make it sound like every woman on the planet are all special individuals but you fail to understand the scope of his question.  There are in fact generalizations that can be made and things that most if not all women share in their needs and desires.  

That's just not true. Some women want to be in love, some don't. Some want to be successful in a business endeavor, some don't. Some want a quiet life, some want something more exciting. These wants are ever-changing and never quite the same for any woman -- let alone any person. Would you say there are things every single man wants? If so, you'd be wrong again. We're all individuals, we all want different things, and even if we do want the same things, we have different ideas of how to get there. Generalizing a group of people based on gender can never work, because there's always someone breaking the generalization.

That's why this whole glass ceiling thing is such a red herring. There are women who are successful and powerful, and the one thing they all have in common is that they accept the values of the institution they want to rise in and don't expect someone to go ahead of them smoothing the way. In other words, if the institutional values are "male values," the woman who accepts them probably stands much the same chance as a male counterpart. 

One problem feminism has been fighting from the beginning is the superwoman syndrome. The belief that a woman can be a successful homemaker, respected scholar, or business powerhouse. They never stop to consider that most men succeed by choosing just one, at most (and rarely) two of those things and going for it. Men generally accept that they can't have it all.

Yeah, we all want sex.  Next question?  :)

I said 'special individuals'...of course women can be lumped into groups, but it doesn't mean that EVERY SINGLE woman is TOTALLY different in 'their own special way'.  So yes, you can still make generalizations as you just did by addressing the different 'lumped groups' that you mentioned.  

This is what I'm banking on. I figure the rest comes naturally.

RSS

Forum

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk 14 seconds ago. 0 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Physeter 24 minutes ago. 25 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Gregg R Thomas 1 hour ago. 107 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 18 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service