Canadian Atheist has posted a new item, 'What do Canadians think is important for being Canadian?' 

Pew Research Centre recently released the results of a group of surveys asking respondents worldwide a question about what “national identity” requires. Canada was included in their results.

You may view the latest post at http://canadianatheist.com/2017/02/what-do-canadians-think-is-impor...

Views: 225

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I knew on December 14, 2015 at 5:47am one thing that Canadians understood to be important.

To me, having worked and spent time in Canada, kids school there, etc...its more like being in the US except sentences tend to end with a higher pitch, as if every sentence was a bit of a question, and "eh" replaces "you know", and a few other seemingly unimportant deviations.

And sections speak French, the way parts of the US speak Spanish, and so forth.

I had a girlfriend who only spoke French, but was a knockout in her bikini when I picked her up when at the beach, and, I already could speak French...so, it worked until distance not language or culture became problematic.

In the US, I had an analogous GF who spoke only Spanish well, and so forth, which was OK, as I also spoke Spanish.

The long and short of it was, to me at least, daily life in either country is pretty damn similar.

;D

Having lived in Canada and then visited several US states/cities...there is an unmystakable difference on many levels. When walking through the downtown area of Baltimore or Philidelphia (let alone Detroit or San Francisco or Brooklyn) at night time...you feel very unsafe and are horrified by the vagrants and nutcases around you pushing shoppingcarts and tripping out (even during the day). You're highly aware that people in most states are stressed out over how they'll pay their hospital bills and send their kids to university, you're disturbed that the state you are in probably has the death penalty, you have to deal with random strangers asking you if you've accepted Jesus into your heart, the slight sense of "red alert" in public in large cities, the extreme inequality and blatant discrimination against african americans, the immense marketing and adds everywhere you look, a much more flamboyant atmosphere with extremely chatty open animated energetic fun people, a much higher variety of products available and opportunities, stronger venture and entrepenurial spirit, strong and unappologetic sense of Americanism, extreme ease in making aquaintances with people...

So while for an American visiting Canada it may seem like it's very similar (perhaps refreshing), as culturally beyond politics it is so similar (and culturally its like 95% the same), a Canadian visiting America may not find it pretty much all the same. The political/economic/social differences run deep and while your conversations may be mostly the same and the products you buy, use, eat are very similar...the long term issues and experiences aren't. I'm sure it's much the same for an American living in Alaska for a year and finding the experience not exaggeratedly different than living in other states and yet an Alaskan living in New York or Iowa and finding many things similar yet there being long term profound differences.v

I am curious about Canadian Atheist's views on Canada's blasphemous libel law

For what is touted as a much more progressive country than the US it seems pretty anti-atheistic and backward to me.

http://centreforinquiry.ca/canadas-blasphemous-libel-law/

I lived in Canada and never once faced any inconvenience by the religious nor unwelcome religious talk except for a couple door to door fenatic and some insane street preachers in Toronto.

The blasphemy law is an obsolete dormant law most Canadians have never heard of that has only been tested a couple times in the modern age (without success). The law should go. But if you base your understanding of a country on the dormant forgotten laws that are still tecnically on the books...you'll find Canada could not possibly compete with the US

http://toprightnews.com/20-craziest-laws-america-still-exist-today/

It certainly doesn't have any meaning now as far as I can tell.

I would hope this is true now. But this and many archaic laws do need repeal or some zealot may later use these against the people.  I agree many US laws are in the same category. 

Maybe the 2 repeal for any 1 new law will address some of this for the US at least?

I suppose in many legislative sessions you only have enough time for so many bills...and repealing rediculous unheard of laws may not seem as urgent as regulating toxic emissions or giving rich corporations more subsidies and tax breaks. I can easily imagine opposition parties demand that not only the bill be repealed...but replaced with a new progressive bill related to tetopic that parties cannot agree on. The nitpicking and committee part of the legislation might end up with other parties trying to add irrelevant amendments to the bill or an entirely new discussion may emerge that slows things down. Imagine the law to be repealed is the banning of anal sex. The republicans agree to repeal it but the democrats demand it is replaced by a bill that protects all consensual sexual behaviour from religious descrimination. They try to add amentmebts to the repeal bill and slow it down during the various readings. Anentirely different debate (say the age of consent between young gay men) may take over. What should be a simply quick repeal of a stupid law becomes a sluggish tedious time wasting affair. And in the end...is it so essential the law is repealed? If anyone ever tried to charge someone a higher court would likely strike down the law making a potentially complicated repeal prices unecesary.

RSS

Forum

Proof Near Death Experiences may in fact be real

Started by Violeta Babacan in Small Talk. Last reply by _Robert_ 17 hours ago. 1 Reply

Belief

Started by Chris Russell in Small Talk. Last reply by Ron Humphrey Jul 29. 1 Reply

Agnosticism

Started by Chris Russell in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen Aug 3. 12 Replies

I'm not an atheist anymore...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie Jun 12. 19 Replies

Blog Posts

Equuleus - the little horse

Posted by Brad Snowder on July 9, 2017 at 1:08am 0 Comments

Horrified

Posted by Mary smith on July 2, 2017 at 12:35pm 0 Comments

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service