----------------------------------------------------------------

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Guys, let's keep this thread as it was intended– a thread about what Hitch meant to people. That doesn't mean that we can't say that some of the things that he said and wrote were wrong in our personal view. But let's keep it free of discussions about where Hitch is, in heaven or in hell, or why indeed an atheist would feel sorrow at the loss of another human being (As well as free of replies to those kinds of posts because they will be removed). Those questions can obviously be hashed out elsewhere in the forum of course!

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What Christopher Hitchens meant to me cannot really be described in words. He was such an amazing human being and I cannot believe he is really gone. Over the past few months he had even exchanged emails me with me on a couple of occasions. He was truly a hero.

Christopher Hitchens was a man of courage and honor. Hitch always spoke his mind and took the fight to religious bigotry and was unapologetic about it. In addition, he was not a cultural relativist or an Islamic apologist like is the case with many atheists. He called Islamic ideology for what it truly was: totalitarianism and oppression. In addition, he was a great friend for freedom and democracy and although he was a leftist all his life, he stood and supported the Iraqi people for their quest for freedom - particularly the great Kurdish people. And as an Iranian, he was a great friend of the Iranian people and it is a shame that he was not able to see a free Iran in his lifetime. Most importantly: he was genuine and one of the most insightful and intelligent human beings I have ever heard whom possessed great insight and a realistic foresight of world problems.

I will write more on him later but he was truly a hero of mine and I don't have any other heroes. He was someone that inspired me in ways that cannot be expressed. For the rest of my life, I will try to live with his ideals and inspiration as much as I can. To be honest, right now has become one of the gloomiest and darkest days, and my heart feels empty.

Tags: Christopher Hitchens

Views: 1695

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recall seeing a post on TA about Hitch – someone said they were thankful for Hitch because he taught us how to think….. not what to think. After pondering this, I can’t help but to disagree. I think Hitch did tell us what to think…..and he was right!

I have been an atheist for most my life, but in the beginning of my atheism…. I never had contempt for religion…… I had a – to each his own – attitude.

Hitch changed that. I owe a great deal of my anti-theist enlighten to Christopher Hitchens. “If you can call someone a man of faith or faith based – it seems for the moment like a compliment. I want to change that.” (Hitch on John Stewart). His brain was like a sponge…. soaked in history. His ability to reason and his awe inspiring articulation was like a shock to my system that has made me see the world with a better perspective.

And I would like to request all Hitch fans make a donation in his memory:
http://donateinmemory.cancerresearchuk.org/0002260
To anybody dealing all the theists saying 'He knows the truth now', the best response is 'He always did'

Been a long time since I posted here.....but Christopher's death has brought me back. Please forgive me if this sounds like a rant but his death has effected me in a way I did not see coming. 

My wife and I have been huge fans of the '4 Horseman' for many years. We were saddened to hear about Hitch's cancer and when the news broke of his death.......it was sad....very sad. I expected to have a mourning period but instead......I took it differently. 

Of all the things Christopher has written and spoke.....one thing rang true the most the moment I learned of his death......and that is for everyone to think for themselves, don't be afraid to have your idea's out there.....and bring the fight. I know several people that have said they want to carry Hitch's idea's forward and live like he did. Some have posted it here as well. I think the idea is a start but I have always interpreted Hitch in a way that......he does not want people to live 'like he did'. He wanted us all to form our own versions of reality and know how to back it up with words. To use his words and idea's as a guide is a start but continue the conversation anywhere you can. Move the argument forward and never relent. 

Sorry if this seems like a mess of words. My mind has been sideways about this whole ordeal. I just wanted to post my thoughts on his passing. I think Christopher would laugh at all the mourning......smile at all the religious hatred (cause they get the last word after years of being hitch-slapped!) ...and expect us to keep the movement going forward. Not just one to step up.....all of us. 

Cheers to you all......and cheers to Christopher! Accept no substitutes.......

I first discovered him while viewing a news clip on youtube and I ended up spending the following three hours going through debates and interviews with him. The following day I read "God is not Great" the day after that I came out to my family and begged one of my best friends and fellow freethinker to read his book. I might have been an Atheist before I discovered Hitchens but until I did I never really felt compelled to say anything against religion and I was never interested in other Atheist and their thoughts and Ideas. He changed my life and I probably would not be here on this forum if not for him. Over the years I've read more of his books and discovered other Atheist and their books and eventually ended up here. I'm sad I will never get to meet him but I am a better man to have known of him and what he taught.

OK, I think all the pleasant messages have been done, so please allow me to be a little less welcoming to the people of god. Religion Poisons *EVERYTHING*

Christopher went to Oxford, as did I, he went to Balliol College (I went to Trinity, but I'm sure he would haver swapped given the chance), he was always well known about the place, and usually treated with well deserved reverence. Christoper, Hitchens, or more usually 'The Hitch' But by god (and this was one of the few opportunities to to use the word 'god') *NEVER* Chris, was often referenced, but rarely specifically named officially. He was both loved and hated for his politics, he was also loved and hated for his views on religion. The later is how I came to be aware of his existence.

I really would dearly love to tell you all about mad drinking tales when myself, Hitch, and friends went on a rampage, but sadly I can't, Although I have on more than one occasion found myself incredibly inebriated with very close friends of Hitch, it sadly never happened with the man himself. But greatness by proxy in this case is fine by me.

Watching Hitch in debate (both live and over the internet) spurred me on to be the total unforgiving anti-theist I am now. I didn't always agree with what he said (well politically, as far a religion goes we were on the same page), but he was somebody you couldn't help but take a shine to. I have spoken to Dawkins a number of times, but still never had the connection with him that the Hitch created in people he never actually met.

Anyway, I have wondered into prattle now, so I will rise a glass from a bottle with a red label to you all and to the Hitch, and quote my favourite Hitch quote:

God is NOT Great!

I am not in the least ashamed to say I have shed more than a few tears over his death.

In terms of my reading, Hitchens was in line behind Bertrand Russell, Leslie Stephen, David Hume, Robert G. Ingersoll, Richard Dawkins, and Sam Harris, but his method of attacking his subjects was all his own. I think the first time I saw him was his appearance on Penn and Teller's Bullshit.  I even thanked Penn Jillette in Las Vegas after his show for having him on.   I started seeing his debates online and was astonished by his command of the English language. I have never seen him unprepared for a debate. 

Imagine being this little kid at the Freethought Convention in Houston this year and having inspiration at so young an age.

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2011/10/11/mason-crumpacker...

Christopher Hitchens was the man who left me with no doubt at all about my atheism. His debates were always brilliant to watch and his books of which I own a few are amongst my prized possessions. I am deeply saddened by his passing but at least I have the comfort of his writings to read and read again.

I think its time the Doobie Brothers remake the song.....all together now.

Hitchens is just alright with me, Hitchens is just alright, oh yeah
Hitchens is just alright with me, Hitchens is just alright 

I don't care what they may say
I don't care what they may do
I don't care what they may say
Hitchens is just alright, oh yeah
Hitchens is just alright 

I like this

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com