----------------------------------------------------------------

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Guys, let's keep this thread as it was intended– a thread about what Hitch meant to people. That doesn't mean that we can't say that some of the things that he said and wrote were wrong in our personal view. But let's keep it free of discussions about where Hitch is, in heaven or in hell, or why indeed an atheist would feel sorrow at the loss of another human being (As well as free of replies to those kinds of posts because they will be removed). Those questions can obviously be hashed out elsewhere in the forum of course!

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What Christopher Hitchens meant to me cannot really be described in words. He was such an amazing human being and I cannot believe he is really gone. Over the past few months he had even exchanged emails me with me on a couple of occasions. He was truly a hero.

Christopher Hitchens was a man of courage and honor. Hitch always spoke his mind and took the fight to religious bigotry and was unapologetic about it. In addition, he was not a cultural relativist or an Islamic apologist like is the case with many atheists. He called Islamic ideology for what it truly was: totalitarianism and oppression. In addition, he was a great friend for freedom and democracy and although he was a leftist all his life, he stood and supported the Iraqi people for their quest for freedom - particularly the great Kurdish people. And as an Iranian, he was a great friend of the Iranian people and it is a shame that he was not able to see a free Iran in his lifetime. Most importantly: he was genuine and one of the most insightful and intelligent human beings I have ever heard whom possessed great insight and a realistic foresight of world problems.

I will write more on him later but he was truly a hero of mine and I don't have any other heroes. He was someone that inspired me in ways that cannot be expressed. For the rest of my life, I will try to live with his ideals and inspiration as much as I can. To be honest, right now has become one of the gloomiest and darkest days, and my heart feels empty.

Tags: Christopher Hitchens

Views: 1722

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He did have some of the best pictures I've ever seen.

he was one of the reasons why i became a militant atheist  him and richard dalkins made me proud to be an atheist and taught me to be myself and speak out  so i came out about being bi and all the dipression  slipped away so in a form he helped me save my life  decay without disturbance C.H.

I have tears running down my face as I type this and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

We have lost a champion of common sense, rational thought, & critical thinking, who can possibly take up where he left off?  

Take a look at some of the terrible things these loving Christians have said about Hitch on www.yahoo.com, these delusional idiots surely do not practice what they preach.

i put my own oppions on some of them because i started getting mad at the imbisiles who where insulting him

Hitch got me past some rough times to honor him and to make a point to the theists I'm starting the phrase "Happy Hitchmas"

I love That!

I just toasted the man and his legacy with some Johnny Walker Black.

New Atheist Holiday: December 15, HITCHMAS!

Thanks Jonathan.

I'm marking it on my calendar for next year! 

Maybe we should start an annual get together in different areas, I'm in San Antonio, TX., USA, Dec.15th or the nearest weekend, anyone interested?

Though Hitchens would land pretty far down on my list of personal heroes, he was nonetheless a brilliant writer, a fascinating character, and the impact he had on so many people cannot be denied. His presence will be missed by many, but his words will live on and have a profound influence on many more.

I recall seeing a post on TA about Hitch – someone said they were thankful for Hitch because he taught us how to think….. not what to think. After pondering this, I can’t help but to disagree. I think Hitch did tell us what to think…..and he was right!

I have been an atheist for most my life, but in the beginning of my atheism…. I never had contempt for religion…… I had a – to each his own – attitude.

Hitch changed that. I owe a great deal of my anti-theist enlighten to Christopher Hitchens. “If you can call someone a man of faith or faith based – it seems for the moment like a compliment. I want to change that.” (Hitch on John Stewart). His brain was like a sponge…. soaked in history. His ability to reason and his awe inspiring articulation was like a shock to my system that has made me see the world with a better perspective.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service