----------------------------------------------------------------

MODERATOR'S NOTE:

Guys, let's keep this thread as it was intended– a thread about what Hitch meant to people. That doesn't mean that we can't say that some of the things that he said and wrote were wrong in our personal view. But let's keep it free of discussions about where Hitch is, in heaven or in hell, or why indeed an atheist would feel sorrow at the loss of another human being (As well as free of replies to those kinds of posts because they will be removed). Those questions can obviously be hashed out elsewhere in the forum of course!

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What Christopher Hitchens meant to me cannot really be described in words. He was such an amazing human being and I cannot believe he is really gone. Over the past few months he had even exchanged emails me with me on a couple of occasions. He was truly a hero.

Christopher Hitchens was a man of courage and honor. Hitch always spoke his mind and took the fight to religious bigotry and was unapologetic about it. In addition, he was not a cultural relativist or an Islamic apologist like is the case with many atheists. He called Islamic ideology for what it truly was: totalitarianism and oppression. In addition, he was a great friend for freedom and democracy and although he was a leftist all his life, he stood and supported the Iraqi people for their quest for freedom - particularly the great Kurdish people. And as an Iranian, he was a great friend of the Iranian people and it is a shame that he was not able to see a free Iran in his lifetime. Most importantly: he was genuine and one of the most insightful and intelligent human beings I have ever heard whom possessed great insight and a realistic foresight of world problems.

I will write more on him later but he was truly a hero of mine and I don't have any other heroes. He was someone that inspired me in ways that cannot be expressed. For the rest of my life, I will try to live with his ideals and inspiration as much as I can. To be honest, right now has become one of the gloomiest and darkest days, and my heart feels empty.

Tags: Christopher Hitchens

Views: 1732

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He simply put into words the things that I had no words for...

I'm sad today....

I'd hoped that I would be able to see him in person one day. No matter, his writings will live on and I will enjoy reading them. The man had a rare gift for writing. 

I didn't think his passing would hit me as hard as it has. I'm not in tears by any means, but I do feel a sense of loss. His death was not unexpected but its occurrence is no less startling. 

I look forward to seeing future generations of freethinkers being inspired by Hitchens' works.

My thoughts are with his family and loved ones in their time of grief. 

I couldn't hold back my tears anymore so I had to post his picture on my wall next to Albert Einstein

Hitchens help me to be released from the fear to be pointed out from religious people, his thinking did twist my mind toward the freedom of logic and reason. His book "god is not great" gave me the tools to understand how religion poinsons everything. Yes....! I am very sad today by his dead.

He was amazing to listen to, even if you didn't agree with what he said, you could reasonably understand why he was saying it.

He was a man who made me think.

He was one of the heroes that let me know it was not only acceptable to stand up for my beliefs, but that it was right and necessary to do so.

Goodbye.

Here is a short response Christopher Hitchens had emailed me back a few months ago: "Thanks for such warm words on what was a bleak day for me.
Persian civilization will outlive the hooligans!
CH"

this is the first I've heard that he has died.Perhaps its appropriate that i heard the news first on this site. I had the honour of meeting him once at the Hay festival.I am in deep mourning as I write.Must leave it there for the time being...

I can honestly say that no man has made me stand up and clap more than Hitchens. He will be sorely missed . The world has lost a champion of rationality and free-thought.

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by _Robert_ 10 minutes ago. 21 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 32 minutes ago. 4 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 10 hours ago. 60 Replies

An awakening.....radical acceptance.....

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Belle Rose 14 hours ago. 1 Reply

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service