It's my opinion that all of the major religions are based on the idea of the soul. That religions are simply a means of explaining what happens to your soul when you die. That denouncing the idea of the soul automatically denounces all the subsequent religions. Do you agree or disagree?

Tags: soul

Views: 322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the soul or essence the idea of it came first same with seasonal celebration of the pagans an the philosophys high jacked an perverted an held for ransom by religion so denouncing the soul is not denouncing  religion the way you denounce religion by denouncing religion

cuase im a humanist /atheist/agnositc and i believe in the soul

Yours is a general explanation of religion. The idea of a soul is not a necessary component in many religious belief systems. Granted the soul is an element portrayed in the current big three religions which arose after literacy and language was developed. Religion engrosses much more psychologically than just a soul.

I am nearing the end of anthropologist Pascal Boyer's Religion Explained- the evolutionary origins of religious thought. It is a profound read and has opened my eyes to a better understanding of religion's development from the perspective of evolutionary biology and cognitive psychology.  

Interesting. I'll look into picking it up...

I'm aware that many religions do not include the concept of a soul. The word religion itself in fact leans more towards a way of life than it does towards the idea of a god even. The religions that do not include the idea of a soul actually aren't my problem. I might not even take issue with some of those religions.

The religions i'm concerned with in fact ARE the ones with the level of irrationality that include the soul. They also happen to be the 4 largest religions on Earth which encompass more than half the people.

Humans fear what they don't understand and what do they understand least of all.. even today. Death. I could imagine our ancestors coming up with these stories... of the soul. This coping mechanism to comfort themselves and loved ones in times of loss. I watched this movie last year and thought... HA.. guess i'm not the only one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7TKxV5wwLA

The Boyer book is excellent and might very well change your viewpoints on religion and it's origins. It has helped me immensely.

This is one of those questions that sounds like it best belongs in a barroom. Something of a 'chicken and egg' question, which really doesn't matter too much since religion, souls, and any other supernatural stuff are all equally bullshit.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 25 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service