Random question of the day :]

Enjoy!

Okay, mine is lame! When I was a kid I thought sky scrapers were the con trails of passing jets.

Share yours!

Tags: misconceptions

Views: 13

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I was about 3 or 4, I thought everything I saw on TV was done by little people inside the TV set.

Like the others, I thought Jesus and his father were real & like the boogie man and Santa Claus, they watched over me and would punish me if I was bad. Took me a while to crawl out from under that paranoia.....

When I was 12, I thought I would be too young to be the first human on Mars (in 1972 during the last Apollo moonlanding, Apollo 17). At that time, NASA was still talking (or had recently finished talking) about manned Mars missions by 1986.
When I was about 3 or 4, I thought everything I saw on TV was done by little people inside the TV set.

I knew the scenes were filmed with real humans, but I had no idea about special effects and pretending so I thought that everything I saw was real. Imagine the horror of thinking that people being shot in the movies, would actually die. I even asked my mother why did they agree to be shot. Was it just for the money?

Also, I used to ask really awkward questions about sex at ages other kids don't even know there is such a thing.

I used to believe I could wake up some day and discover I have supernatural powers. This belief was mainly fueled by the TV and some dreams I had about being able to fly and things like this.
On the TV I thought that it was being acted out each time. I thought that Gilligan must be getting bored with doing the same show over and over and that the people on MASH worked all of the time. What an idjit!
One night when I was a wee lad, our car broke down on the Interstate. We weren't far from home, so we just walked back. In order to keep me well away from the road and especially the semi trucks, my parents told me that the airflow from a semi could suck me underneath and I'd get run over. I believed it. They don't even remember telling me this, but to this very day if I happen to be on the side of the road and a semi passes me, I tense up.

My mental image of God was pretty amusing. I pictured him in Heaven, on his throne. He was a giant, of course. The funny thing is, I very clearly recall that I pictured him as an Asian man in a suit. Why was God an Asian giant in my young mind? I have no freakin' clue.

I can't really think of any more.
I ate a lot as a kid. Who am I kidding, I eat a lot now. My mom used to ask, "Do you have a hollow leg?" I actually thought that I was hollow and filled up on food by filling the void through out my body instead of the stomach.
So, I started training in the martial arts when I was 5 and I loved it. I loved martial arts movies and stories, especially the usual movie stuff like kung fu monks and ninjas and such. I don't recall ever being afraid of the dark. I've always felt safe in the dark. But due to my thoughts of martial arts, as a kid I was terribly afraid of well-trained assassins coming after me. I would plan a trip to the kitchen, making sure I knew how to be stealthy to avoid the ninjas that were hoping to catch me unaware. It seems so silly now, but there were some times when the thought that ninja assassins were waiting for me around the corner that I would actually carry along a weapon or prepare myself for the inevitable sneak attack...
Ninjas in the kitchen robbing your fridge of all the ketchup!
I know, isn't that a scary thought? Scared the rationality out of me...
I was convinced that if I stepped on a crack in the sidewalk, my mother would be seriously injured.
My mother was still a researcher during my early childhood. I figured she'd forgive my curiosity in evaluating the veracity of this claim through extensive testing.
I believed I could make my bicycle fly by taping cut-out wings (from notebook paper) to the pedals and top-tube. As I was cutting out the wings, I was trying to solve the problem of landing, which seemed the precarious conundrum I had to solve. Needless to say, the wings were quickly torn to shreds as I began pedaling *sigh*. In previous attempts to fly, I wrapped my favorite blanky (dubbed "Favie") around my shoulders and leaped from my grandmother's recliner. That didn't work, either. A couple years later, after church, I sat in the back of our VW van and earnestly prayed to God to give me wings, weeping all the while. I had faith! That damn God never comes through...
I was a huge fan of a goofy TV show called The Greatest American Hero. I thought if I had a cape and jumped off the top of the monkey bars, that would be able to fly, or at least glide. No dice. Luckily I didn't kill myself.

RSS

Forum

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Quincy Maxwell 29 minutes ago. 10 Replies

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 1 hour ago. 27 Replies

Ken Hamm at it again

Started by Noel in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 7 hours ago. 2 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 9 hours ago. 75 Replies

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Ed 11 hours ago. 22 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 10 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service