Here's the thing. In my state of Pennsylvania, every year, schools are closed on the first day of deer season. I cant drive down the road without seeing a bloody carcass laying in the back of someone's pickup truck this time of the year.

Have you ever wondered why we still hunt? Or better yet, why do we do it for fun? Scientifically speaking, we our omnivores and  hunting wild game is not necessary. Especially considering all of the processed foods that we have today. I'm not going to lie..I love venison. lol I just find it completely ridiculous to actually make a sport out of hunting.

There are various reasons most people give for going out hunting this time of the year. Most people say it is to enjoy nature. My thoughts are...cant you enjoy nature without killing it? People often go hunting because of family tradition, or maybe just the thrill of it all. you know, as if being a complex being with a gun is a fair fight.

Also, I find it a little disturbing how desensitized people are to killing living things. We are all living things, what makes a human more sacred? And what is it about the human mind that gets pleasure out of making the kill? Is it an acomplishment? A right of passage? Probably. Personally, I just think that it goes to show us how barbaric we as humans still are. Some of us in particular have a lot more evolving to do.

Here's something else. I find it interesting how our government gets to make a profit off of our licenses to go hunting every year. The department of conservation even says that hunting is necessary to control the population of wild game. What exactly are they afraid of? Natural balance? Why do they feel that we have to play god?

I used to go hunting. I grew up into it. Every male member of my father's side of the family has been hunting ever since they were twelve years old, and until recently, I was no exception. I never really liked it. not because I'm vegan, or obsessed with animal rights or anything, I just never enjoyed getting up early in the morning and freezing my ass off in the woods for hours on end. That's another point. What kind of hunting is it when all you have to do is sit there with a loaded firearm? ah, but I am getting off of the subject again. anyway, the reason I went hunting when I was younger was because of our family tradition, but mostly because my father worked a lot of hours and the only time I got to spend with him, were our hunting trips to the cabin.

Well, that was my rant for now..I'm sure I'll have more to add later.

I'm looking forward to everyone's opinion on this mater.

Tags: deer, hunting, kill, meat, sport

Views: 1133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that it is better then animals who are raised to be slaughtered. That is a good point.
Hunting is a game/sport.
Humans like games/sports.
---------------------
Humans like hunting.

They also like feeling powerful ( guns ). Like in video games, killing is fun when it doesn't have grave consequences.
Prey animals are always playing the game. They just don't realize how disadvantaged they are in a match up.

They aren't disadvantaged or they'd be extinct. Most predator animals fail a good deal of the time. Sometimes they starve.

Good point. I stand corrected.

Some people just like to shoot stuff... mostly living stuff. I guess it makes them feel good, or even god-like, to end some animal's life.

I, for one, don't even kill bugs, unless I have to.
Some people just like to shoot stuff... mostly living stuff. I guess it makes them feel good, or even god-like, to end some animal's life.

I, for one, don't even kill bugs, unless I have to.

I am the same way.

And while I do enjoy shooting, I find hitting paper targets to be satisfying enough and have no desire to hit anything living.
Similar to me. Bugs in or near food or bed will die. If I can shoo certain bugs outside, I will. Spiders I always try to usher out, if possible. Other pest bugs I am more ruthless about. I need to start spraying my house again (which removes me from the in your face kill!).
Wasps/bees/hornets etc I am completely phobic about. Might have something to do with a childhood misadventure involving peer pressure, a stick and a really big wasp nest. It didn't end well for me.

Anything else creepy crawly is cool. The Wife screams whenever anything that has more legs than a cat even looks at her sideways, so I get to be a big man and transport it outside (with my bare hands!). Upon my return I gratefully receive the rewards due any true hero.
If you want to eat deer meat, what is the alternative in obtaining it if you eliminate hunting?
They usually aren't, but they support conservation efforts because it gives them a place to go kill shit.
I am not a hunter personally but here in Michigan, huting especially deer hunting is big here in the northern parts of the state and in the U.P. Even though I have never been hunting I think if you kill the animal and use all it's meat or fur for food and clothes then it is OK to hunt. But if you hunt for trophy or just for the fun of it then I think you should not go hunting.

RSS

Forum

Genesis 3 - Quality Propaganda

Started by Aiken Drums Sister in Politics 23 minutes ago. 0 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 27 minutes ago. 43 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Aiken Drums Sister 1 hour ago. 17 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service