Here's the thing. In my state of Pennsylvania, every year, schools are closed on the first day of deer season. I cant drive down the road without seeing a bloody carcass laying in the back of someone's pickup truck this time of the year.

Have you ever wondered why we still hunt? Or better yet, why do we do it for fun? Scientifically speaking, we our omnivores and  hunting wild game is not necessary. Especially considering all of the processed foods that we have today. I'm not going to lie..I love venison. lol I just find it completely ridiculous to actually make a sport out of hunting.

There are various reasons most people give for going out hunting this time of the year. Most people say it is to enjoy nature. My thoughts are...cant you enjoy nature without killing it? People often go hunting because of family tradition, or maybe just the thrill of it all. you know, as if being a complex being with a gun is a fair fight.

Also, I find it a little disturbing how desensitized people are to killing living things. We are all living things, what makes a human more sacred? And what is it about the human mind that gets pleasure out of making the kill? Is it an acomplishment? A right of passage? Probably. Personally, I just think that it goes to show us how barbaric we as humans still are. Some of us in particular have a lot more evolving to do.

Here's something else. I find it interesting how our government gets to make a profit off of our licenses to go hunting every year. The department of conservation even says that hunting is necessary to control the population of wild game. What exactly are they afraid of? Natural balance? Why do they feel that we have to play god?

I used to go hunting. I grew up into it. Every male member of my father's side of the family has been hunting ever since they were twelve years old, and until recently, I was no exception. I never really liked it. not because I'm vegan, or obsessed with animal rights or anything, I just never enjoyed getting up early in the morning and freezing my ass off in the woods for hours on end. That's another point. What kind of hunting is it when all you have to do is sit there with a loaded firearm? ah, but I am getting off of the subject again. anyway, the reason I went hunting when I was younger was because of our family tradition, but mostly because my father worked a lot of hours and the only time I got to spend with him, were our hunting trips to the cabin.

Well, that was my rant for now..I'm sure I'll have more to add later.

I'm looking forward to everyone's opinion on this mater.

Tags: deer, hunting, kill, meat, sport

Views: 1120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't really see a problem with hunting. I try to get all of my meat from either ethical hunters whom I know personally, or from the local farmers market, where they sell free range meat. (TRULY free range meat, the stuff you buy from the store that says "free range" really isn't). I don't like to support factory farming.

Also, living in Texas, there is a HUGE wild hog population. They are incredibly destructive, and breed like crazy. It's almost a necessity to shoot them if you live in a rural area, especially if you have a farm or animals. The wild hogs here have evolved from peoples pigs that escaped breeding with wild boars in the area, and every year there are more of them.

I personally don't hunt and never would, because I am too sensitive to that kind of thing. I don't even like to fish, the whole thing makes me queasy. My boyfriend goes hog hunting, and either brings the meat back, or donates it. There are a few charities around here that take meat from hunters to give to poor populations. The hunters kill the hogs because they are destroying their land, but don't want the meat, so donating it is a good alternative.

Although I don't personally hunt, I understand it's place, and I'm glad some people do it. Also, I am completely against trophy hunting.
In my opinion killing an animal for sport is a sign for a sadistic nature. Why even own a gun? I am anti agression.
I own a gun...guns actually, because I used to hunt, now I just love target shooting. It's a fun hobby. I have a permit to carry a pistol for protection...but I never carry anyway. It's not like I need it were I live.
If you don't use it, don't need it, then why have it? I live in a big city where there is the usual violence. Still I've never felt the urge to buy a gun, I've never even held one.
A lot of accidents happen with guns, a gun makes it that much easier to kill a person. it creates a distance. This is only my opion, he.
like i said, I've been handling guns ever since I was young...so we come from different perspectives here.

I've been raised around them, and tought how to handle them safely.
I live in a small town surrounded by forest. target shooting is as much as a hobby for me as stamp collecting would be, and beleive it or not, it's one of my safer hobbies.

you can have accidents with anything, learning the proper way to handle them is the only way to really make sure there are no mistakes. of course, mistakes DO happen with everything.

so yeah..I dont NEED it, but I do use it. I have a reason to own it. I actually have a few firearms that are very old and worth a lot of money, and have sentimental value. most of them were passed down through generations. those guns, I dont use. they are displayed in a safe place.
It's too bad that the people who came over here from Europe weren't interested in learning anything from the Natives. Most tribes had a general philosophy about not letting any of the animal go to waste. Use the meat for food, the hides for clothes and shelter, and even the bones - maybe for adornment? They thought that you shouldn't be wasteful and you should be respectful of nature. Interesting to note that they had such a good handle on the eco-system and that knowledge was totally ignored. Their origin stories were a lot better too. Now that we are industrialized, why hunt at all when you can get the same adrenaline rush and sense of danger while hunting up healthy, affordable food at the grocery store and waiting in line at the one check stand that is open?

They say that the only part of a pig that isn't used is the "oink." I suspect it's much the same with farm-raised beef and chickens.

Well here's from one ex-hunter to another. I used to do the same thing. Although I've shot game birds,squirrels,rabbits and other small stuff, I'm glad to say I never shot a deer although I tried. I think what really turned my heart was when I found a kitten in my garage after we got back from a vacation.It took a little while but I fell in total love with this beautiful animal. Although I stopped hunting well before this event, this really made me realize how lovely animals are. No hangups, predudice,pride,etc. Just pure natural beings with feelings, a need to accept and give love back. As a matter of fact, I used to think that animal rights freaks were nuts when I would hear them say, " animals over humans ". Times are a little rough right now financially for me since I was recently divorced but even though, I saw a Humane Society commercial the other night and actually joined. To hell with the cost. For me, I'm helping the little critters that the lousy bastard humans mistreat.

As long as you eat it, I'm good with it...
is that a red squirrel? They are rare where I live.
I think so.
I talked about hunting as a "right of passage"...this picture proves my point. This is a picture of the first dear I shot when I was twelve years old.

I wasn't going to post any pictures, but since we already had a picture of a dead mammal..I guess we already crossed that point.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service