Here's the thing. In my state of Pennsylvania, every year, schools are closed on the first day of deer season. I cant drive down the road without seeing a bloody carcass laying in the back of someone's pickup truck this time of the year.

Have you ever wondered why we still hunt? Or better yet, why do we do it for fun? Scientifically speaking, we our omnivores and  hunting wild game is not necessary. Especially considering all of the processed foods that we have today. I'm not going to lie..I love venison. lol I just find it completely ridiculous to actually make a sport out of hunting.

There are various reasons most people give for going out hunting this time of the year. Most people say it is to enjoy nature. My thoughts are...cant you enjoy nature without killing it? People often go hunting because of family tradition, or maybe just the thrill of it all. you know, as if being a complex being with a gun is a fair fight.

Also, I find it a little disturbing how desensitized people are to killing living things. We are all living things, what makes a human more sacred? And what is it about the human mind that gets pleasure out of making the kill? Is it an acomplishment? A right of passage? Probably. Personally, I just think that it goes to show us how barbaric we as humans still are. Some of us in particular have a lot more evolving to do.

Here's something else. I find it interesting how our government gets to make a profit off of our licenses to go hunting every year. The department of conservation even says that hunting is necessary to control the population of wild game. What exactly are they afraid of? Natural balance? Why do they feel that we have to play god?

I used to go hunting. I grew up into it. Every male member of my father's side of the family has been hunting ever since they were twelve years old, and until recently, I was no exception. I never really liked it. not because I'm vegan, or obsessed with animal rights or anything, I just never enjoyed getting up early in the morning and freezing my ass off in the woods for hours on end. That's another point. What kind of hunting is it when all you have to do is sit there with a loaded firearm? ah, but I am getting off of the subject again. anyway, the reason I went hunting when I was younger was because of our family tradition, but mostly because my father worked a lot of hours and the only time I got to spend with him, were our hunting trips to the cabin.

Well, that was my rant for now..I'm sure I'll have more to add later.

I'm looking forward to everyone's opinion on this mater.

Tags: deer, hunting, kill, meat, sport

Views: 1097

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Trophy hunting is great, as long as you use a camera instead of a gun.
Like!
I confess to bewilderment when, upon seeing frolicking deer, the spoken urge of an acquaintance to kill them. The thought never crosses my mind. But then, I have never hunted before.

I don't mind recreational hunting. I know many people enjoy it and that doesn't bother me as much as something like factory farming of meat. In fact, wildlife management and hunting keep deer herds healthy and prosperous. It is not like the massacre of the buffalo or the dodo.

I do not care for the large scale culling of wolf packs and other predatory animals. We have nurtured a hunting culture in part to replace predatory animals that were deemed a nuisance to livestock operations.

People need to eat less meat anyway.
Sport is a poor justification for death.

If you don't need to eat it, you don't need to kill it.

We ARE naturalists, after all . . . aren't we?
Do you think wildlife management is decent justification?
The only reason wildlife needs to be managed by us at all is because we built our cities and suburbs, thereby totally screwing up whatever balance there was for the millions of years before we made buildings. But, I happen to enjoy my house in the suburbs so...manage away, as long as you don't waste the carcass- if you kill it, you should use it.
Obviously we have created an imbalance that requires certain wildlife to be managed. I don't disagree with that at all.

I love deer jerky, BTW. So, I'm always happy when a co-worker hunts and has some made to share.
"Do you think wildlife management is decent justification?"

Yes, Reggie, I do.
I suppose it is...but it's a shame that it's our fault in the first place.
It's a 'sport', but some of the contestants don't know they're playing!
Ha!!
I don't mind responsible hunting.

I mind the idiots with guns such as the ones here in my state that killed 4 pregnant elk because they could and only took one.

My uncle loves to hunt. He got a moose in Montana recently. He shares the meat with the entire family. I don't like it but responsible hunters can be environmentalists. They hate the idiots with guns too and they hate waste. The want to preserve areas where they can hunt and have populations to hunt. People like that I don't mind.

RSS

Forum

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 20 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Davis Goodman 3 hours ago. 70 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Tor Hershman 5 hours ago. 3 Replies

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 9 hours ago. 21 Replies

What is the purpose of gender

Started by Christopher Swicegood in Small Talk. Last reply by Heather Spoonheim yesterday. 56 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 0 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service