Here's the thing. In my state of Pennsylvania, every year, schools are closed on the first day of deer season. I cant drive down the road without seeing a bloody carcass laying in the back of someone's pickup truck this time of the year.

Have you ever wondered why we still hunt? Or better yet, why do we do it for fun? Scientifically speaking, we our omnivores and  hunting wild game is not necessary. Especially considering all of the processed foods that we have today. I'm not going to lie..I love venison. lol I just find it completely ridiculous to actually make a sport out of hunting.

There are various reasons most people give for going out hunting this time of the year. Most people say it is to enjoy nature. My thoughts are...cant you enjoy nature without killing it? People often go hunting because of family tradition, or maybe just the thrill of it all. you know, as if being a complex being with a gun is a fair fight.

Also, I find it a little disturbing how desensitized people are to killing living things. We are all living things, what makes a human more sacred? And what is it about the human mind that gets pleasure out of making the kill? Is it an acomplishment? A right of passage? Probably. Personally, I just think that it goes to show us how barbaric we as humans still are. Some of us in particular have a lot more evolving to do.

Here's something else. I find it interesting how our government gets to make a profit off of our licenses to go hunting every year. The department of conservation even says that hunting is necessary to control the population of wild game. What exactly are they afraid of? Natural balance? Why do they feel that we have to play god?

I used to go hunting. I grew up into it. Every male member of my father's side of the family has been hunting ever since they were twelve years old, and until recently, I was no exception. I never really liked it. not because I'm vegan, or obsessed with animal rights or anything, I just never enjoyed getting up early in the morning and freezing my ass off in the woods for hours on end. That's another point. What kind of hunting is it when all you have to do is sit there with a loaded firearm? ah, but I am getting off of the subject again. anyway, the reason I went hunting when I was younger was because of our family tradition, but mostly because my father worked a lot of hours and the only time I got to spend with him, were our hunting trips to the cabin.

Well, that was my rant for now..I'm sure I'll have more to add later.

I'm looking forward to everyone's opinion on this mater.

Tags: deer, hunting, kill, meat, sport

Views: 1153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This reminds me of a few years ago, when one of our neighbors had a get together. They asked where we went to church, started telling us about their church and told us the men of the church went dove hunting together. DH came to me awhile later asking me if it made sense that they hunted the bird of peace. Ah, the south...

In my state of Pennsylvania, every year, schools are closed on the first day of deer season.
That is strange to me, but likely because I am not a hunter, my family members aren't hunters, and the schools here in GA aren't closed on the first day of hunting season.

Have you ever wondered why we still hunt?

Yes, in that we do not necessarily need to hunt anymore, however in some respects it seems more humane than eating an animal raised to be slaughtered, and kept in deplorable conditions until that time. As for getting back to nature, then go for a nature walk, or go camping. Maybe actually have to hunt and kill your own food gives you a deeper respect for it?

What exactly are they afraid of? Natural balance?
Not exactly, but something they sell as such. Since more and more land is developed, it displaces wildlife. Deer, not having many predators, proliferate quickly, and are basically eating themselves into starvation. I found this link from the GA Parks dept. http://www.gastateparks.org/item/6991
I find it intellectually lazy to suggest that the deer are somehow "doing it to themselves" as this page suggests, since we are the ones who have displaced them. However, it does offer and explanation of the thought process behind it. So, yes. They use the money to pay for the up keep of the parks and the reduction of the wildlife population, as necessary.

the reason I went hunting when I was younger was because of our family tradition

The reason people do a lot of things, most things in fact, are because of the culture they are raised in and the traditions the culture values. It is just how we primates work.
I understand how our developing takes away natural habitat. I also suppose I see how animals are dying because of over population. I always wondered though, how exactly do they determine how many deer our out in the wild and how many licenses to sell? I've seen newsletters from Pa's game commission, they obviously have a science behind it...I'm just pretty sure I know the amount of deer that are active were I live better then they do. I've been out in the woods..watching for deer for a long time. they dont.
I shot two dear in my life. We butchered it ourselves and ate all that we could.
I once stalked a pineapple for days before I was able to take it and lop off its antlers. It tasted twice as good because I had killed it myself.
-----------------

That was only half-facetious, I actually have no problem with eating meat. That's what livestock is for. But I fail to see the sport in hunting animals we already know we can kill at will without ever risking our own lives.

Doesn't seem fair to me.

Hunting rabbit wouldn't be much fun if the rabbit also had a gun.
Hunting rabbit wouldn't be much fun if the rabbit also had a gun.

Nobody wants a fair fight unless they are the one with the disadvantage.
Even with a gun, those poor rabbits have a hard time squeezing off a shot. And their holsters keep slipping off . . .

. . . Embarrassing to any self-respecting rabbit!
It's a killer rabbit, with big teeth.
Pull out the Holy Hand Grenade
pull the pin and count to three. no more, no less.

Not to put a wrench in the works but there's more than one way to kill a rabbit.

I've never shot a real gun. I used to hunt rabbit, only to eat, with a ferret. Yeah.

Walked miles with a couple friends to where they were actually considered a problem to farmers etc. Placed our nets over the burrow holes and send in the ferret.

There's no buckshot to ruin your $1000 dentures. There's no fun either in digging out your ferret to the shrieking screams coming from within the burrow. Even a blind ferret gets a rabbit once in a while. Not to coin a phrase.

Well, I suppose that's more sporting than hunting rabbits with greyhounds. BTW, while we think of wolves as top predators, you can google up videos of Asian hunters using golden eagles to kill wolves.

@Hopalong! - RE: "Not to coin a phrase" - maybe not, but that IS a good phrase, I think I'll save it for next time I'm in spit-n-whittle country - it helps to sound like a local.

I hunt Indian artifacts. Some people hunt deer.

RSS

Forum

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk 29 minutes ago. 0 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 59 Replies

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 16 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service