Here's the thing. In my state of Pennsylvania, every year, schools are closed on the first day of deer season. I cant drive down the road without seeing a bloody carcass laying in the back of someone's pickup truck this time of the year.

Have you ever wondered why we still hunt? Or better yet, why do we do it for fun? Scientifically speaking, we our omnivores and  hunting wild game is not necessary. Especially considering all of the processed foods that we have today. I'm not going to lie..I love venison. lol I just find it completely ridiculous to actually make a sport out of hunting.

There are various reasons most people give for going out hunting this time of the year. Most people say it is to enjoy nature. My thoughts are...cant you enjoy nature without killing it? People often go hunting because of family tradition, or maybe just the thrill of it all. you know, as if being a complex being with a gun is a fair fight.

Also, I find it a little disturbing how desensitized people are to killing living things. We are all living things, what makes a human more sacred? And what is it about the human mind that gets pleasure out of making the kill? Is it an acomplishment? A right of passage? Probably. Personally, I just think that it goes to show us how barbaric we as humans still are. Some of us in particular have a lot more evolving to do.

Here's something else. I find it interesting how our government gets to make a profit off of our licenses to go hunting every year. The department of conservation even says that hunting is necessary to control the population of wild game. What exactly are they afraid of? Natural balance? Why do they feel that we have to play god?

I used to go hunting. I grew up into it. Every male member of my father's side of the family has been hunting ever since they were twelve years old, and until recently, I was no exception. I never really liked it. not because I'm vegan, or obsessed with animal rights or anything, I just never enjoyed getting up early in the morning and freezing my ass off in the woods for hours on end. That's another point. What kind of hunting is it when all you have to do is sit there with a loaded firearm? ah, but I am getting off of the subject again. anyway, the reason I went hunting when I was younger was because of our family tradition, but mostly because my father worked a lot of hours and the only time I got to spend with him, were our hunting trips to the cabin.

Well, that was my rant for now..I'm sure I'll have more to add later.

I'm looking forward to everyone's opinion on this mater.

Tags: deer, hunting, kill, meat, sport

Views: 1123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that there are a few different things going on. The gun tradition, like the hunting, tradition, and religious tradition, are things that many Americans grow into always knowing. I don't remember a time as a child not getting up for church on a Sunday or getting up early and watching my Dad and uncles leave to go hunting. Today, I'm a 47 year old father of two, and my Dad at 82, is still trying to give me a gun he bought for me to have when I was a child. Much like the religious tradition, if you get your teachings and social group activities implemented early enough, you have a high rate of success that it passes to the next generation. And, not only do the traditions get passed along, but so do the excuses and reasons for doing so, not matter how ridiculous, illogical, and incomplete they might be. Besides, very few will admit to bloodlust, although I believe it prevalence is higher than one might think. Whether its a behavior that is made needless by our progress, or still lurks within many of us, I struggle with the idea of the 'sport' of hunting, though I will eat any animal protein put in front of me. I like alcohol a lot too.

Secondly, for many I think it acts as a continued justification for having guns around and at arms length (no pun intended) along with target shooting, whenever a 2nd Ammendment discussion pops up. If we keep hunting, no matter how critical it may or may not be to an individuals survival (as I do remember families growing up that got a lot of their meals from hunting and needed to), then the volume and flow of guns into people's hands stays high, and the idea of any kind of gun control is met with a high percentage of citizens with guns. That threat is also useful to keep the government in line as they tend to get 'uppity' from time to time.

For the record, I only hunt wabbits, so be vewy, vewy, quiet.

As I said elsewhere, here in the Cleveland, area we have a problem with urban deer wandering around residential neighborhoods. They are just as unwise about traffic in town as they are out in the country. A wholesale deer hunt is needed by responsible hunters who can be counted on not to shoot people thinking they are deer.

RE: "not to shoot people thinking they are deer."

I've personally always felt that people who think they are deer should be shot, but that's just me --

We have lots of deer here, if I see a dead one, the bodies(mostly) are on a road that is along the river, where the speed limit is higher. Else the deer are just on a afternoon walk, sometimes with their family, nibbling at what ever plant takes their fancy. It might help here to have lots of tree cover and rather dense forage.

My brother in law grinds a small amount of hamburger meat in with his deer meat and they make fantastic burgers. The cow meat gives you just enough of the grease necessary to keep your bad cholesterol levels properly elevated.

Not to get off topic or anything but did you know that there is a very small group of people who actually stop and harvest, eh, pick up, carcasses off the highways of more than just our country. There is a bloke in England who has a huge freezer full of all sort of road kill. He has a party every so often and invites fellow road kill enthusiasts over to sample the different entries. Would that be a taboo activity for you?

I'd have to say that would depend on how long they'd been on the road before they made it to the freezer - and under no circumstances am I overly partial to skunk.

Don't misunderstand me Ed, my Daddy used to take me hunting with him when I was just a kid, and at 12, I'd bought my own .410 with money from doing odd jobs. I've certainly shot my share of birds, rabbits, squirrels and deer. I fired "Expert" in the Army.

But like Clint Eastwood whispered in The Unforgiven, "I don't do that no more --"

..hmmm. I have no problem with hunters killing deer, etc (in proper season). The caveat being.. if you're going to kill a little woodland creature, you should eat the meat (or give it to a hungry family who WILL) & the hide should be used in some fashion.. by someone..Don't be wasteful of a life you've chosen to take; without any real necessity whatsoever. In short, heading out on a trophy hunt, for no other reason than to mount some damned antlers on a piece of wood in your living room, is utterly reprehensible; plain and simple. 

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service