Here's the thing. In my state of Pennsylvania, every year, schools are closed on the first day of deer season. I cant drive down the road without seeing a bloody carcass laying in the back of someone's pickup truck this time of the year.

Have you ever wondered why we still hunt? Or better yet, why do we do it for fun? Scientifically speaking, we our omnivores and  hunting wild game is not necessary. Especially considering all of the processed foods that we have today. I'm not going to lie..I love venison. lol I just find it completely ridiculous to actually make a sport out of hunting.

There are various reasons most people give for going out hunting this time of the year. Most people say it is to enjoy nature. My thoughts are...cant you enjoy nature without killing it? People often go hunting because of family tradition, or maybe just the thrill of it all. you know, as if being a complex being with a gun is a fair fight.

Also, I find it a little disturbing how desensitized people are to killing living things. We are all living things, what makes a human more sacred? And what is it about the human mind that gets pleasure out of making the kill? Is it an acomplishment? A right of passage? Probably. Personally, I just think that it goes to show us how barbaric we as humans still are. Some of us in particular have a lot more evolving to do.

Here's something else. I find it interesting how our government gets to make a profit off of our licenses to go hunting every year. The department of conservation even says that hunting is necessary to control the population of wild game. What exactly are they afraid of? Natural balance? Why do they feel that we have to play god?

I used to go hunting. I grew up into it. Every male member of my father's side of the family has been hunting ever since they were twelve years old, and until recently, I was no exception. I never really liked it. not because I'm vegan, or obsessed with animal rights or anything, I just never enjoyed getting up early in the morning and freezing my ass off in the woods for hours on end. That's another point. What kind of hunting is it when all you have to do is sit there with a loaded firearm? ah, but I am getting off of the subject again. anyway, the reason I went hunting when I was younger was because of our family tradition, but mostly because my father worked a lot of hours and the only time I got to spend with him, were our hunting trips to the cabin.

Well, that was my rant for now..I'm sure I'll have more to add later.

I'm looking forward to everyone's opinion on this mater.

Tags: deer, hunting, kill, meat, sport

Views: 1142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That'll never happen, but perhaps it could be worked out what combination of weapons would make the fight roughly sporting. A man fighting a grizzly bear, for example, armed with a bear protective (but not proof) suit and, say, a sword or club or 22 cal pistol. I think what bothers most nonhunters is the fact that most hunting is done by blindsiding or ambushing the animal.

I have no problem with sustenance hunting, but those who just enjoy killing I have a problem with.

Here's a thought.... hunting is not a sport. 100000 years ago, people hunted to get meat and feed their family. It is a survival activity, not a sport.

Here's a thought. You have no right to judge others. My dog will, who's the sweetest dog ever, will kill a cat just to kill it, and simply put, there's no way to say that killing other species is wrong. You can't even remotely prove it.

James - Before, I was trying to take your "you can't prove it's wrong" argument to it's logical end.  I see no way that we can objectively prove that something is right or wrong, and you offered nothing to the contrary.  If this is the only measure by which someone can be of the opinion that something is wrong or by which a law may be formed, then I believe we would live in a world with no opinions and no laws.  The very nature of the words right and wrong is subjective.

What if someone killed your dog?

I didn't say anything about its rightness or its wrongness... I just said its not a sport since people were doing it before the concept of sport was concieved (probably).

My family never had a lot of money. When my dad killed a dear or two during the hunting season, it was a matter of lining the freezer with good, hardy meat for the leaner times of the year. For the price of a bullet and a bit of patience, we could fill our freezer with delicious, lean venison. We used EVERYTHING. Steaks, cutlets, roasts. We ground the excess into sausage and ground venison, and sold the pelts to reenactors to turn into proper period garments. Mind you, I'm only twenty years old. This is modern times. In my family, the idea of hunting purely for sport was abhorrent. Even when money was easier to come by, we still hunted because, again, it was a good way to preserve our funds.

Mother Nature is replete with predation. The cycle of life is vicious and unforgiving. Their is no compassion, no regrets. Survival has no conscious.

I am a part of that cycle of life. I respect the sacrifice of all animals I ingest and realize that life is not necessarily fair. Only the strong survive. 

Just sitting here in front of the computer, listening through my open window, as 6-feet men fire 12-gauge pellets at 6-inch doves - fun times --

Dove are  better tasting than Reese's  Peanut Butter Cups....

Just the same, I'll stick to gunning down Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - PULL!

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 19 minutes ago. 54 Replies

What a ride!

Started by Strass Strass in Small Talk 5 hours ago. 0 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by _Robert_ 11 hours ago. 82 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service