Here are a couple of mine;
Christopher Hitchens. ~ What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

Views: 161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"The president of the United States has claimed, on more than one occasion, to be in dialogue with God. If he said that he was talking to God through his hairdryer, this would precipitate a national emergency. I fail to see how the addition of a hairdryer makes the claim more ridiculous or offensive."  - Sam Harris, during George W.'s reign.

I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them. --Galileo

The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.

-George Bernard Shaw

This crime called blasphemy was invented by priests for the purpose of defending doctrines not able to take care of themselves.

-Robert Green Ingersoll

Richard Carlin:  (In order to stop wars) "Tell the a---holes not to show up."

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

"It REEEEALLLY happened!!" - Carl Sagan, pointedly commenting about evolution on his TV classic, "Cosmos."  It earned him eternal condemnation from Christian fundamentalists.

Ok, it's lonnnng, but I love it:

“I look round doubtless upon men of man faiths, upon calvinists, unitarians, methodists, baptists, catholics, and I know not what beside, and yet, my friends, let us call ourselves by what names we will, are we not creatures occupying the same earth, and sharing the same nature? and can we not consider these as members of one family, apart from all our speculations respecting worlds, and existences, and states of being, for which, in ages past, men cut each other’s throats, and for which they now murder each other’s peace…

"I purpose to develope with you that just rule of life, which no system of religion ever taught, or can ever teach; which exists apart from all faith, all creeds, and all written laws, and which can alone be found by following, with an open eye, a ready ear, and a willing heart, the steps of knowledge; by exercising the senses, faculties, and feelings, which appertain to our own nature; and, instead of submitting our reason to the authority of fallible teachers, by bringing always the words of all books and all teachers to the test of our reason."

-- Frances Wright, from her lecture "Divisions of Knowledge" (1828)  Source: Annie Laurie Gaylor's Women Without Superstition, p. 42-3

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."  Thomas Jefferson

or

I tried to believe but I found knowing much more fulfilling.

or

W C Easttom: (on freewill ) "God says, do what you wish, but make the wrong choice and you will
be tortured for eternity in hell.
That sir, is not free will.
It would be akin to a man telling his girlfriend, do what you wish, but if you choose to
leave me, I will track you down and blow your brains out.
When a man says this we call him a psychopath and cry out for his gaoling or death.
When god says the same we call him 'loving' and build churches in his honour.

Go around the world, and where you find the least superstition, there you will find the best men, the best women, the best children ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

When I became convinced that the Universe is natural, that all ghosts and gods are myths, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood, the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

'I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years, and never suffered the slightest inconvenience because of it.' Mark Twain.

"I don't want to believe; I want to know."

~Carl Sagan.

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 3 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 13 hours ago. 15 Replies

"I'm Christian and I vote."

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by James Cox 13 hours ago. 40 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service