Here are a couple of mine;
Christopher Hitchens. ~ What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I think it's better to have ideas. You can change an idea. Changing a belief is trickier. Life should malleable and progressive; working from idea to idea permits that. Beliefs anchor you to certain points and limit growth; new ideas can't generate. Life becomes stagnant." --Rufus, Dogma (1999) Granted it was about on how to approach faith, but it does have a freethinking tinge to it.

"I don't know what that says to you, but to me it says that following these faiths based on mythological figures ensures the destruction of one's inner being. Organized religion destroys who we are by inhibiting our actions, by inhibiting our decisions out of, out of fear of some, some intangible parent figure who, who shakes a finger at us from thousands of years ago and says, and says, "Do it... do it and I'll fuckin' spank you." --Loki, Dogma(1999)

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -- Aldous Huxley

"He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dares not reason is a slave." -- William Drummond

"An idea is a greater monument than a cathedral. And the advance of man's knowledge is a greater miracle than all the sticks turned to snakes or the parting of the waters." -- Harry Drummond, Inherit the Wind(1960)

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!" -- Colonel Sanders

You cannot Reason someone out of a position they didn't Reason themselves in to.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
-Voltaire

Religion teaches people to be satisfied with trivial, supernatural non-explanation and blinds them to the wonderful real explanations that we have in our grasp. It teaches them to accept authority, revelation & faith, instead of always insisting on faith.
-Richard Dawkins, at an TED talk

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion
-Steven Weinberg

damn typo! In the Dawkins quote, its evidence at the end, not faith.

I had to lol at this: 'In Cairo I was a Mohammedan, in Paris I was a Catholic.' --Napoleon Bonaparte

Remember to join the quote group everyone :]

Why would a loving god condone the rape of virgin daughters? (Genesis 19:6)

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" 

— Epicurus

"Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over."

"The essence of Christianity is told to us in the Garden of Eden history. The fruit that was forbidden was on the Tree of Knowledge. The subtext is, All the suffering you have is because you wanted to find out what was going on. You could be in the Garden of Eden if you had just kept your fucking mouth shut and hadn't asked any questions."

"Tax the FUCK out of the churches!"

"He wrote this book here and the book says, 'He made us all to be just like him'
So, if we're dumb, then god is dumb. And maybe even a little ugly on the side"

-Frank Zappa

Mark Twain has another zinger:

"The mind that becomes soiled in youth can never again be washed clean. I know this by my own experience, and to this day I cherish an unappeasable bitterness against the unfaithful guardians of my young life, who not only permitted, but compelled me to read an unexpurgated Bible through before I was fifteen years old. None can do that and ever draw a clean, sweet breath again this side of the grave."

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit.”
-Richard Pryor

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet."
-Napoleon

“I like [the bible] as a book, just like I like the Cat in the Hat.”
- Marilyn Manson

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist, it is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."
-Stephen Hawking

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-Mohandas Gandhi

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
-Albert Einstein

“It is an interesting and demonstrable fact, that all children are atheists and were religion not inculcated into their minds, they would remain so.”
-Ernestine Rose

All thinking men are atheists. Earnest Hemingway

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Ari E. S. 3 hours ago. 67 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service