I have been hearing something lately that sounds rather odd to me. I hear some people using "to" instead of "than" when making comparisons. For example:

New York City is bigger to Chicago.

Anacondas are longer to pythons.

I was taught and have for years heard people use "than" rather than "to" in those situations.

Is using "to" rather than (or to) "than" being taught nowadays?

I feel like I've slipped into a parallel dimension when I hear this form of expression.

Tags: grammar, modern, usage

Views: 471

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds a little like Yoda-speak.

Reminds me of throw momma from the train a kiss.  Yeah, Yoda-speak.  Or Yinglish.

I have a friend who sometimes uses English words in Yiddish ways.  "It aches me," or thinking "bosom" means one breast, so she thinks she has bosoms, not a bosom.

The dictionaries don't agree on that and admit that one of the meanings of "bosom" is "a breast," though "bosom" meaning "chest" is still the #1 definition.

@SteveInCO;

"...thinking "bosom" means one breast, so she thinks she has bosoms, not a bosom."

It's a matter of cup size, two C or less is bosom, two D or larger is BOSOMS.

:D (sorry, I'm a bad, bad boy.)

Breaking news: woman claims to have multiple bosoms, scientists (and english teachers) baffled!

"Could you borrow me that bible for a few days. It's bigger to my other book."

Just reading this makes me want to tear my brain out and beat you with it...

Imagine what Shakespear would think if he could see how we had butchered the language now days?

Rocky, we get it. Language evolves, but it doesn't mean we have to lay down and accept noinsensical changes. Can you name one reason why we should accept "to" rather than "than" in comparatives?

And exactly how do you  differentiate between  what is nonsensical changes and what is just normal evolution of the language?

Something is nonsensical if there's no reason for it. Got a reason?

IF this usage persists, it will become standard despite making no sense, just like "refrigerator" makes no sense because (a) "frigerator" isn't a word in use anywhere and (b) how can you RE-frigerate something when "frigerating" doesn't mean anything to start with?

LOL

Ebonics.

Definition: Learning to speak so no one can understand you.

I used to speak "slang" as a young whipper-snapper...than I entered the real world and had to make myself understood so I could get a job.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 2 hours ago. 20 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service