Recently, in chat, someone pointed out that there are fewer female than male Atheists.  That prompted a comment on sexual differentiation of intelligence.  I suggest that most women make the best choice for themselves and their children by opting for an 'outlook' that is not confrontational with family.

In other words, I feel that most women care less about whether or not there is a god than they do about whether or not they can maintain a harmonious relationship with their extended family.  In such a situation, what benefit would there be to adopting an Atheist stance - either psychologically or inter-personally?

Views: 731

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think for most women like the way we hide intellect we hide being atheist. There is a social pressure to be pretty decorations when we are young. WE get told by media from childhood what the perfect woman is. she is pretty, caring and dependent on the mythical prince. In school we are pushed to sidelines on education.  we show intellect we are called nerd or worse.

Being atheist requires us to accept all aspects of ourselves. Its okay to be smart and ask questions. It means that we let go of the conditioned emotional responses to apply logic. Add nature made sure to make us emotional by design, It becomes a bit harder to fight the emotion versus logic.

Things are getting better slowly girls are encouraged to think. As time moves on women will ask the questions that eventually will lead them to atheism.For now though society makes being different in any way very difficult. . Its going to take time. In the atheist community I have found most men to be accepting of women however there are those who do tell us we don't belong. So even once we make the leap to atheism we still have to deal with varying degrees of sexism. 

The only way things will get better is if we raise our children to be free thinkers. We have to stand up for what is right, not comply for the appeasement of others. It is hard, but it is worth it.

I would say I was fully Atheist by my early 20's.  That being said, I had no reason to bring it up.  I never 'came out' as Atheist until I happened to move to a small town full of people who were very religious and very weird.  Quite frankly, they creeped me out, and they only way to express why was to tell them that I found their beliefs and idiosyncrasies really bizarre.  That was when I came to identify as Atheist - in contrast to an incredibly religious, old fashioned environment.  That is also when I happened to join this site.

I was recently told that I was “such an Atheist all the time!!”

That's ok Reg, part-time atheists don't get full benefits.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com