Let's start it off with a simple one.

xtain :
"Well what if you're wrong?'

Rebuttals?

Views: 216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you hit upon the most important and troubling point. MOST theists believe that an extremely large number of theists are wrong.

Think about that for a second....or even a minute or two.

Most believers in God believe that other believers in God...are wrong... They either worship the wrong god or the wrong way.

They believe that others believe the wrong book...Why?.... because Their book says that IT is the only, best, last interpretation of the truth.

When you have multiple books and faiths that lay claim to the sole truth....they can't all possibly be right... BUT... They can certainly all be wrong.

These theists aren't just against the skeptical mind.. they are against the believers mind if they don't follow in theological lockstep with themselves.

so what we have is theological opposition with no way to determine the veracity of truth claims. Each have their miracles, saints, prophets, visions etc.

Is God playing the field? How do you judge between miracles of one faith vs miracles of another? Prophecies of one faith vs prophecies of another?

Is the Devil granting prayers and miracles to fool people so that they believe the wrong religion? (I have actually had this argument put before me)

Its not enough to just 'believe' a God exists.... but you have to believe in THEIR 'definition' of God otherwise you are just as bad off as the atheist.

Think about that. Even if you DO believe in God.... its not enough. You have to believe in the correct definition and follow the correct religion.

If the hypothetical god does exist and asks 'Why did you not believe'.... you can seriously answer ' Because there were too many choices and not enough evidence to judge between them.

They all make the same claims... all claim the same evidence and proofs...and all ultimately fail on the same grounds.
What if YOU'RE wrong? lol
Pssh! I'm never wrong! ;-)
I'm always wrong. I get by on other people's ideas.
Personally, if I'm wrong, which I am most probably not, I'd rather burn in hell than sit in heaven with the people I used to sit in church with.
If the god described in the bible exists, I would consider it a moral imperative to oppose him.
"Well what if you're wrong?'

Rebuttal: I'm not.
Awesome. FTW
This one's easy.

Dawkins did it for me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mmskXXetcg
Then I'm wrong. At least I lived doing and thinking things my way. I wouldn't have it any other way. Ha!
*plays Sinatra singing "My Way"*
I tend to keep it simple when asked that by just asking in return "what if (insert religion besides the one they follow) is right?" It tends to end up in a quick illogical loop of backtracking, but it makes it easy to show how stupid the question was.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com