I don't want this to be a chance for you to tell me what is wrong with the theocratic abscess burrowed; the thorn in your side or the vacant imperfection imposed upon the resident scapegoat. I care not to afford you the opportunity to lick your wounds in my sight or to appease the cultural norms subscribed.

Without the fear on the other side of the fence nor the ruckus in the alley way I want you to tell me what the benefit of an atheist lifestyle is had the social and political majority not absolved you and the necessary protestation of that artificial insemination had manifested itself in hindsight.

In other words, had there been no myth where would you see yourself rather than where would you see yourself in light of it.

Views: 3057

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I guess I'm an "incomplete person" too - I was born without a gullibility gene --

Haven't we been down this road before. Atheists are such because of some mental defect that we have? Or was it the other way around for theists?

I think it's more accurate to say that theism is a communicable disease (or meme, if you will), and it weakens clear thinking. We're all born vulnerable to various diseases. But I wouldn't try to convince theists of that, in those words. The cure comes down to improving one's critical thinking.

Thanks for the reply Patrick and welcome to the group, how's the weather in Romania?

I'll respond later I have to go to dinner with some non-theists right now.

Patrick, that is one long metaphor! I reckon you saw a glazed look in the eyes of a few xians.

Do you have any faith in whether readers here have the patience to fathom it?

@pat the "A" in Atheism means with out.

"The main danger of atheism is the likelihood of its becoming a religion in its own right,..."

I've heard it said "Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby". It's true. Atheism notes what we don't believe not what we do believe.

"how can it remain fundamentally non-religious,..."

Not hard at all: Don't be religious or have a belief in god.

"...as is the very idea at its core, when, alas, it has all the data, and all the traits common to, and characteristic of,..."

I think the word "all" is a bit strong here. Obviously the belief in god is non existent. Among others. Just because religions have borrowed from certain philosophies doesn't make those philosophies inherently religious. Any tool can be a weapon depending on how you use it.

"For atheism is, no matter how they might understand it, an anti-philosophy, a meta-philosophy, but a philosophy nevertheless."

Again "philosophy" isn't synonymous with religion. It is simply a lack of belief. Assuming you don't believe in pixies would you call this your philosophy on pixies? Do you believe in "magolotonicatronicon"? You shouldn't. I just made it up. You've never had to consider that before. Would you say that because you don't it is you philosophy or that your non belief has all the trappings of a religion?

No matter how you might understand it, not posting isn't the same as posting.

magolotonicatronicon!!

You only THINK you just made it up, I've been worshipping it and sacrificing ground squirrels to it for years!  Clearly this is a sign!!

Are the ground squirrels virgins?

Damfino.  magolotonicatronicon never specified to me that they had to be.

You might experiment a bit to see where you get better results. Have fun checking those mean little fuckers though.

I suspect it's really a trick to get us to make human blood sacrifices without realizing it.

Good looking out. The bigger problem is that any ground squirrel one can easily catch is most likely sick with disease or parasites. The transfer of these make me wonder if that is not the true identity of magolotonicatronicon.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

An atheist book for children?

Started by Leonard Deke in Small Talk 32 minutes ago. 0 Replies

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by captain kingsway 39 minutes ago. 2 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Gary Clouse 5 hours ago. 69 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service