We seem to encourage prison rape as a justifiable punishment

So me and a friend had a discussion about prison and it occurred to me that prison rape seems to be, "A-OK!" or "Don't DROP THE SOAP!" Sure its funny as a laugh and as a joke but the reality of it is NOT funny!

If someone was to ever joke about raping a woman in order to "teach her a lesson", or to encourage it as part of her pennance for commiting a crime what do you think would happen?

Why the disconnect?

To recap, it is socially acceptable and funny that someone locked up is going to get raped.

What the fuck?

Reactions?

Views: 1045

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

True it is a double standard. I think much of it comes from a belief in an eye for an eye or that there exists some sort of social justice based on karma (which we know isn't real). Say a child rapist goes to prison and for some reason isn't kept out of general population and is raped by other prisoners. Many would see that as sweet irony and find satisfaction. I'll admit I've laughed at the prison rape jokes as much as the next guy but I don't really feel bad for doing so. Of course I am not pro prison rape because its wrong and there a lots of people who would never in million years in any way deserve such a horrible thing but I can't lie and say that its not slightly funny irony if a rapist or child rapist is raped in prison. So I guess my view point is that I'm against prison rape but not above laughing at irony in some cases. I know it's not a fully logical view point.

Obviously prison rape is horrible and should never be tolerated. So much about our prison system is incredibly fucked, and that's one of many problems. 

Two simple explanations. They're prisoners so no one gives a shit anyway. This is a country that has huge support for the death penalty and in fact cheers when talking about how many people a Presidential candidate had executed.  People feel like prisoners have very limited rights and depending on the crime no rights.  So basically the attitude is fuck it, they deserve that and probably more.  The other explanation is that the prison rape that everyone laughs about (dropping soap, etc) happens to men.  In America, adult males cannot be raped. It doesn't even exist in the conversation about general rape, unless it's in reference to children.  So couple that with people basically hating prisoners and you get the socially acceptable action of making/laughing at prison rape.

I think most people have very little sympathy for people in prison and if they get raped well they had it coming. You are right it is a double standard and when the victim is a nonviolent offender or some one actual innocent and wrongly convicted then I can defiantly feel some empathy. When the victim is a sociopath, murderer or child molester or rapist I feel no pity for them let them suffer all the pain they inflicted on others. I know that's wrong but its still just how I feel about the subject maybe I am a heartless bastard but I do think some people deserve to suffer horribly for there actions.  

I watched a documentary on this and it is extremely disturbing.  Part of the problem seems to be that there isn't a single man who can comprehend that he would ever be raped before giving his life, with the exception of all the male rape survivors.  Anytime I've brought this topic up, even with puny little guys whom I could toss around like rag dolls, they all say that there is no way they would ever get raped without fighting to the death, and they will not waver in the belief no matter how much evidence they are given to the contrary.

All of this leads to the widespread belief that male rape victims actually wanted to 'assume the position' and therefore no real assault has occurred.  It's really disturbing to me, but there seems to be no room for discussion with men, and not much more with most women.

I don't remember the name of it - I saw it online and it seemed to be taken from discovery channel.  I've seen clips from it on youtube.

Well, people have been killed for lesser offenses than rape. It only makes sense that you should end their life if they're trying to penetrate you. This is how we extinguish the primal in the greater sense. Like swatting a mosquito. I'm sure there are other ways to stop someone's doing something than to twist their head 180 degrees, but none as absolute that I can think of. I'd like to see some of this evidence, because the only way I can currently conceive not trying to kill someone who's attempting to brutally stick something into your person is if you don't really want to kill them. It's not so much submission as it is the lack of an instinct to end a life, assigning the act some degree of brutality, regardless of how swift and relatively painless it might be, and not being under the impression that you have it in you to do that, to BE that. It depends on the person really. Have you talked to any of the people that killed their attackers during the assault?

Nathan smashed 'em up with baseball bats.  He's got my vote. 

I really don't know if this was a critique of my reaction to what happened or what, but how can any of us have been expected to act in any kind of rational manner when it happened?

Well, it... does sound fair, depending on whether or not you mean "smashed up" like fractured skull ground into the pavement or "smashed up" like beaten black, blue, and bloody. Because the former might be considered heinous murder.

Black, blue, and bloody. The cops showed up before we could do any long-term damage.

Well... I did manage to fracture the nose of the monster who was... erm... I guess... the ringleader of the whole thing and the one actually... you know... doing the main part of ... well... yeah...

But that was the worst damage we dished out, I think...

Nathan, I absolutely applaud and agree with what you did - if only I had the same opportunity with a certain person.  In the heat of the moment, in warm blood, how do those people think they've got any rights?  Even in cold blood, I would get that **** if I could. 

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 1 hour ago. 18 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Ed 2 hours ago. 1 Reply

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 4 hours ago. 60 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service