Putting on my devil's advocate cloak...

I think that one thing holding the progress of blacks in America is the way their activists are always stirring the pot with regard to race. 

The biggest problem is no longer overt racism or even covert or unconscious racism. It's white guilt. White guilt makes whites reticent to associate with or hire or help black people. It make becoming friends more difficult. This is a far bigger problem than the Ku Klux Klan or people who think black folks are inferior or more likely to be crooked or violent.

Black folks need to learn that no white person today owns field slaves, even including folks descended from slave owners. Many folks, like my family, weren't even in the U.S. when slavery was practiced. We feel no responsibility for the aftereffects of slavery. We don't like the implication that it's our responsibility nonetheless.

It's time to get over it and let black people improve their lot so that when it finally happens THEY can claim the victory and not have to give half the credit to helpful white folks or black activists like Rev. Al Sharpton or Rev. Jesse Jackson.

Contrary to hopes and expectations, all of this talk of having a national discussion about race, if pursued, will actually make things worse, not better.

Blacks should just get busy becoming less threatening and less guilt-tripping. Time would be better spent working their way up the economic and educational ladder and rebuilding their family structure. Many of us are quite willing to help, but not based on some mythological guilt.

Tags: blacks, dialog, discussion, national, race

Views: 554

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And yet, here we are, celebrating the atheist tribe, talking about our superiority, their inferiority.

our skin colour is determined by our genes, why discriminate against someone just because they have different genes from you? we shouldn't be discriminating against people with different skin colour any more than we should discriminate against someone with different genes for their eyes colour or hair colour, or the genes that regulate their height, or their distribution of fast and slow twitch muscle fibres. the HUMAN race has such a vast diversity of genetic individuality, trillions upon trillions of possible combinations of genes, why treat people so differently over one single genetic trait out of the millions of things determined by our genes??

Discrimination, in one sense, literally means "noticing differences" between people or things. 

Like Morgan Freeman said, we need to stop talking about race. It just keeps us noticing differences and treating people differently. With the best of intentions, we have been treating black folks differently and it manifestly has had the opposite effect of helping them.

Like Morgan said (and I'm saying), "Stop talking about it."

I want to see the debate between Rev. Al Sharpton and Rev. Unseen, it should be quit interesting. :)

I think one between Al Sharpton and Shelby Steele is one that would be REALLY interesting, assuming Sharpton didn't filibuster it.

I have a great deal of hope, the children really ARE our future:

Everyone saw the biracial Cheerios commercial, but kids saw it diff...

This video will restore your faith in the new generation. Here, kids watch the needlessly controversial Cheerios commercial featuring a biracial family and comment on it. None of them can tell the interviewer what’s wrong with the spot.

When it’s pointed out that people were upset about the races of the parents, the children are all confused.

I love that ad! It is encouraging that kids didn't "get" the gimmick.

I want to elect those kids to fill the House and Senate and Presidency NOW!

GZ is back;

"George Zimmerman, who has been in hiding since he was acquitted of murder in the death of Trayvon Martin, emerged to help rescue a family who was trapped in an overturned vehicle, police said today.

Zimmerman was one of two men who came to the aid of Dana and Mark Gerstle and their two children, who were trapped inside a blue Ford Explorer SUV that had rolled over after traveling off the highway in Sanford, Fla. at approximately 5:45 p.m. Thursday, the Seminole County Sheriff's Office said in a statement."

It's soooooooooooo shocking that he didn't just shoot them, after all he shoots random 17 year old innocent children, at least according to good ol' Al Sharpie that is.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service