The title says it all, was Jesus the right choice? To give a little back ground Jesus was not the only Messiah during the firt century. There were many others claiming to be the child of God, so why was Jesus picked out of the hay stack?

Tags: Belief, Choice, Faith, History, Jesus, Matrix, Messiah, The

Views: 1092

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

and and and - The Gospels give the location for this mass feeding but there is no evidence of that either.

if 5000 people ate fish in one location, there would still be evidence of that today.

Have you read Exodus? Hundreds of Jews marching through the desert for 40 years and magical bread fell from the sky, and not one shred of evidence. I heard a great analogy for finding truth in the bible. It's like digging through shit for corn, sure there's a little there but is it really worth it?

Yep well ... Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence ...

This is true, I really don't think that anyone has brought any physical evidence to prove any claims of the bible.

Have you read Exodus? Hundreds of Jews marching through the desert for 40 years and magical bread fell from the sky, and not one shred of evidence.

Because it never happened.

No evidence for Jews ever being slaves in Egypt, no evidence of the 40 year desert trek because there was no need for one. Imaginary Jewish slaves leave no real tracks.

According to Exodus, Milos, there were 600,000 men on that little hike (the misogynistic god of the Bible only recognizes men as having relevance), which, translated, would mean at least 2.5 million men, women and children, roughly 1/2 of the entire population of Egypt at the time. Such an Exodus would have totally disrupted the Egyptian economy, yet no word of it was ever mentioned in the entire annals of Egypt, and those guys were anal about annals.

Oh, and the Red Sea, better known in the Middle East as the Gulf of Aqba, descends from the shoreline to a depth of 2600 feet in the middle, then back up again to the shore on the other side - I don't know its width, but I'm sure it can be Googled.

If there are any mathematicians out there who would like to calculate how long it would take 2.5 million people, moving at I would assume an average 1.5 miles per hour, to pass a single given point, I think that would even further demonstrate the unlikelihood.

If in a single file line with each person taking up 4 feet of space the line itself would be almost 1900 miles long.  So at 1.5miles per hour it would take over 52 days for the back of the line to reach where the front started.  Single file is unlikely though, so if they walked 15 people per row the line would still be 126 miles long and take 84 hours for the back of the line to reach the front.  All that assuming 2.5million people is a semi accurate estimation of total population moving.

The 600,000 men, Ryan, comes directly from Exodus - I extrapolated the women and children, and having observed the Bronze Age obsession with large families, likely underestimated them at 2.5 million. We know children cannot walk fast for long periods, and that average walking speed under normal conditions, is 3 miles per hour, so children, and women carrying objects, would be much less than that.

But I find your single-file notion unlikely, as these people were being pursued by Pharaoh's army, and would probably be crossing the Red Sea like patrons leaving a theatre after someone yelled, "Fire!"

Thank you for all of the effort you went to, though I realize you likely did the whole thing in your head, in the future, here's a little something that might make it a bit easier: https://defuse.ca/big-number-calculator.htm

It's not surprising to me that there aren't any first hand accounts of Jesus outside of the bible.

The bible has no first hand accounts of Jesus. Written 40-70 (or so) years after Jesus supposedly lived and died.

There are many second hand accounts of Jesus

Debunking the Historical Jesus

Did a man named Jesus exist in the Middle East during the first century? Possibly. Was he a wizard who claimed to be the son of god, who was born of a virgin and became a Lich upon his death? Nope.

RE: "Did a man named Jesus exist in the Middle East during the first century? Possibly."

You might want to revise that upward Milos, ""Yeshua" was as common a name in those times as "John" is today. The man who, according to the NT, was released as the Passover Prisoner, Barabas - remember him? As you may know, but some do not, "Bar" in Aramaic Hebrew means, "Son," so Barabbas would mean he was the son of a man named Abbas, much like Olson meant, "Son of Ole" in the ancient Nordic countries. Jesus would have been named, Yeshua bar Yousef - Jesus son of Joseph.

The point of all this, is that Barabbas' first name was also Jesus.

Is "Lich" just another word for "zombie"?

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service