Even though I do not miss my Christian faith, I must admit, I do miss the church/fellowship aspect of religion. I am still a bit new to this whole atheism thing and feel a bit isolated from others who think like me. I have been wanting to find some sort of group where I can go and socialize, and I have looked a bit into Unitarian churches. I know they are open to people of a variety of faiths, but they seem to attract a number of people who consider themselves atheist/humanist/etc. I'm wondering if this might be a place to check out.

Does anyone have any experience or know anyone who is involved with the Unitarian Universalist thing? Good or bad feedback is appreciated!

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's nothing wrong with wanting to have a community experience. I'd say go ahead and visit a UU church. Be forewarned, though. Depending on where you're from, you'll likely come in contact with a wide array of wacky beliefs outside of Christianity. There's a local math professor I speak with on a regular basis who remembers the days when he visited a UU church, but was eventually turned off by the rest of it. At UU, from what I understand, you're expected to have an open mind and be respectful of all these different beliefs, no matter how zany they are.

I take the position that I don't have to respect people's beliefs, but I do respect their right to have them. As long as they aren't proselytizing, I just grin and nod.

Anyway, give it a try. What's the worst that can happen?

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 1 minute ago. 6 Replies

To assimilate? Or not to assimilate? That is the question

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Kairan Nierde 43 minutes ago. 26 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 1 hour ago. 46 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 20 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 3 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service