I have not thought of a person of faith that I can ask about the mention of unicorns in the bible. It seems like such a trap to put them in that it is almost cruel. But then some have harassed me about being a non-believer that I would love to throw it in their face. But maybe they would come back at me and say something like what Dr. Elizabeth Mitchell said on June 25, 2008 https://answersingenesis.org/bible-questions/unicorns-in-the-bible/ “Modern readers have trouble with the Bible’s unicorns because we forget that a single-horned feature is not uncommon on God’s menu for animal design. (Consider the rhinoceros and narwhal.) The Bible describes unicorns skipping like calves (Psalm 29:6), traveling like bullocks, and bleeding when they die (Isaiah 34:7). The presence of a very strong horn on this powerful, independent-minded creature is intended to make readers think of strength.

The absence of a unicorn in the modern world should not cause us to doubt its past existence.”

Let me pause for a minute because I am laughing so hard I can hardly keep my concentration here.

Will you have the courage to approach a friend of the faith with this? If you do let me know what they say, please.

Numbers 23:22

God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an unicorn.

Deuteronomy 33:17

His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

Job 39:9

Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?

Psalm 22:21

Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the unicorns.

Psalm 92:10

But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

Isaiah 34:7

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness.

Views: 1703

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, right, if it's in the bible it must be true because it's in the bible.  Where do these people come from?

There should be a point of view out there that the bible is the word of Satan, meant to mislead people and demean the real word of God! And one of the many, fleeting forms of Satan is the unicorn, of course.

The invisible pink unicorn would be so pissed off right now about its misrepresentation in the bible ... that is if the invisible pink unicorn gave a toss about human lunacy. Let us bow down and share a beer with the invisible pink unicorn!

I think the unicorns in the Bible are a problem with your translation, @Stephen. I'm not sure what comic book bible you are getting the translation from. NAB gives the Numbers quote above as "wild ox's horn", which seems the norm for most scholarly translations. It's also part of the recitation of a poem. I didn't go through all the others.

So sorry, as a person of faith, there aren't any unicorns. Besides, unicorns were from a different cultural tradition than the biblical Middle East.

First rule of argumentation: start with good data.
Dr. Bob: A quick search found the "unicorn" version of the verse in the King James bible (original, not revised) and in the 1599 Geneva bible. It appears that later versions changed it to "wild ox".
If it is just intended to be a recitation of a poem, why change it? Of all the bibles out there, which is the REAL one and which are the comic book versions? How can one tell which one to believe?
@Erock, I'm a Catholic, so it's hard to speculate what my English Protestant brethren were thinking if they translated that as "unicorn" in the KJV. It's not "unicorn" in the Vulgate or Ancient Greek or Hebrew as far as I know. Maybe the translators got really drunk one night.

If you're looking for something to believe as Fundamental Writ, I'm afraid that I can't help you. Most Christians don't believe that sort of thing, and even fewer believe it of any English translation. One might just as easily ask "of all the introductory physics textbooks out there, which is the REAL one?"

If you're looking for something to believe as Fundamental Writ, I'm afraid that I can't help you. Most Christians don't believe that sort of thing, and even fewer believe it of any English translation.

You're definitely not being helpful, Bob.

As I've pointed out elsewhere in this thread, most Christians in the United States are Evangelicals who DO believe in the Bible fundamentally and who overwhelmingly read the KJV which says 'unicorn'. One in three Americans overall believes the Bible is literally true.

So YOUR bible is the right one. What are the odds?

“ It's not "unicorn" in the Vulgate or Ancient Greek or Hebrew as far as I know”

Quite right Dr Bob …

the Vulgate refers to Rhinocerous …..

so nothing too outlandish there then …

however in Isiah 14:29 it does go off the rails with the reference to a “basilisk”

Link ..

http://vulgate.org/ot/isaiah_14.htm

Sorry … couldn’t let your “special pleading” go unchallenged ….

Any way ,to continue, it IS true the Torah has no unicorns but, also in Isiah 14:29 it does refer to fiery serpents flying.

Link ..

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/isa14.pdf

As to the Greek version … a little more difficult here … I confess I do not have a hard copy of the Bible in Greek ,mainly because my Greek is lamentable . however here is an Online version ,complete with English translation ….

Link …

http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/septuagint/chapter.asp?b...

If you read down to Numbers 23:22 ,you should see the reference to the unicorn …

Im pretty sure  μονοκέρωτος = unicorn but cannot be dogmatic about it …

Just for information ….

The rhinoceros unicornis, or any other species of rhinoceros never even lived in the Middle East during that period. Rhinoceroses live in Africa (all south of the Sahara Desert) and India.

Why do we have to rely on second hand copies of copies of hearsay of unreliable translations of copies of translations for "THE TRUTH"? Why doesn't god just his message on a file server somewhere or send everyone a dvd of the "real" bible? Can he do that?

He's worried that the NSA will get its hands on it and change it for their own purposes. <g>

More seriously, do you think it's possible to give anyone "The Truth?".  In teaching undergraduate or graduate physics, I can find a decent textbook and I can lecture them until I'm blue, but that doesn't mean that they understand.  Understanding comes from reflective experience and a lot of effort, coupled with guidance and feedback from a community.  It can't be delivered on a parchment or a file server. 

At least not until we get the direct-download USB ports installed in our brains.

I think God ought to be a better teacher than you, Bob. If nothing else he's more wise.

Seriously, though, when you lecture your class in physics, do you have 20 other professors teaching different, contradictory "facts", and just make the students muddle out for themselves which is right? Having a good teacher with a good textbook doesn't guarantee understanding, but it's a big step in the right direction.

And a USB port in the brain sounds like something God could do, if he wanted.

RSS

Forum

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 2 hours ago. 19 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 47 Replies

The Angelina Jolie Effect

Started by Belle Rose in Biology and Medicine. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 4 Replies

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service