Hello Fellow Heathens,

Long time no see. I haven't post anything in ages, but I'm back.

So, guys this is going to be a somewhat long post bear with me please. I REALLY want your inputs. From a theist friend I have gotten several complains that when he goes to atheist forums and he's curious about any question he gets insulted and banned from the forum and called a troll. I tried to explained to him that the problem is that we do get lots of trolls and it's a problem to differentiate who has a legitimate question, specially in this medium. He still defended his position saying that it was not fair, he honestly has legit. questions, and I can't deny that he does. In my opinion, this behavior gives us bad reputation, and I believe we are better than that. One thing I can fully grant is that sometimes we get carried away and we insult people needlessly. There are more eloquent, elegant, and productive manners to tell a person something along the lines "please go do some research first," than just calling him/her ignorant and some other unnecessary slang. Now this is where the long part of the post starts, because I got the chance to do just what I stated in Facebook. This whole post started because an acquaintance of mine said, "(my name goes here) does not buy into the whole god thing and not because she knows little, but, because regardless of who was pulling her strings, she found science suited her better… remember even science requires faith as what is still unseen, remains just a calculated theory while the search continues..." So, in response I went in length to explain that there's not such thing a faith based science, and I deconstructed the way the words faith, believe, etc. are used, and the semantics of it. Ok so far so good, nothing related to God just yet. But, this guy jumped into the conversation and geez here we go again.

First: One can see that there are several holes in his argument.Second: My first answer to his post. Bear in mind that I have been talking about faith based science for some time and I'm exhausted and this point. It's quite late. But, again, no insulting.

Third: Next day. His response:

As you can see, I underlined two particular phrases out of his response. The first one: "faith-based," because in my view, and I'm sure in many of you, the moment a person says "faith-based" there's no longer a conversation. The second underline is about educating him. And, this is where I feel where the problem lies when it comes to differentiate 'trollers' and people with legitimate questions.

Lastly my answer,

So far I have not received an answer. I might get one. I might not. Going back to my first point, the legitimate questions, I think this guy really don't know and he is trying to defend his view with the information he has. I have no idea if he's a Christian, I just made an assumption. By the way, if by any chance the blog I spoke of goes through I hope I can get some fellows from TA to back me up. Furthermore, as an agnostic atheist I get frustrated too with repeating the same information over and over and over again. It's tedious, time consuming, and I understand and feel our overall mentality and view, which goes something like that, "the research, and information is already there, if you don't want to read and take the time to educate yourself why on earth I have to do it for you. I'm a person, just like you, and I have other things to do than just sit down in front of my PC for hours on end educating you regarding something that's already been debated over and over again." But, could you we do this in a more civil manner? I know we have had some somewhat similar discussions, but I look forward to your inputs. Feel free to constructively criticize my responses too. If you think I could have used some other arguments or words, please let us all know. I'm sure we can all benefit from brain-storming here together. Feel free to talk of your own experiences also.

Thanks Everyone,

M.B.

Views: 678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@James Cox try tea in the morning. It's not as noisy ;-)

Do you know if they have a microwave with an optional 'silence' button? I quess I could go in and clip the speeker leds..;p) 

I would go so far as to say neither possibility nor probability can be applied to 'God', but I suppose you'd lose many a theist's attention saying such a thing.

Agreed, specially senior theists in Cadillacs that insists on driving at the fast lane bellow the speed limit, and have a bunch of nonsensical religious bumper stickers.

Don't move to Florida --

Kris - I would tend to agree that neither term should be applied but the Theist never sees it like that. I am sure we have all heard variations of it. I heard a great one recently – “ I mean even an Atheist like you (me) must sometimes look up at the stars and realise that there must be a god – it’s obvious enough if you even think about it for a minute” .  

I had no reply to that. I could have but my head was telling me to shut up as it was starting to melt. Some days I think to myself –If I could only remember where I parked my spaceship I would be out of here in a flash.

I see no draw to Florida. Costa Rica maybe!

I'm simply saying James, that there are a lot of elderly people, who have retired down there, who drive Cadillacs slowly, with their blinkers on.

After a weekend with many elderly family members two weeks ago, and being told by one uncle, that as the oldest grand child I had to set an example by wearing a shirt, when it was hot, it was clear that such a trip to Florida could be counter productive. Of course, by the time I get there, Florida might contain many older women, and fewer older men, making my liberality acceptable and even expected. It is more likely that a Prius is in my future, not a cadillac. Giving the time scale to my first appearance in Florida, I expect that much of the beach front property will have become morrings for slave ships.....

After a trip cross country years ago, it is clear that Oregon can offer a greater diversity of attractions than many of the other 50 states, IMHO.  

The Cadillac reference reminds me of my first visit to the USA. I was in Atlanta and was admiring an old Cadillac – in mint condition – and as a “petrolhead” –a real treat to see. I got to talking with the owner and we both launched into a classic cars conversation. I explained to him that I was about to drive my first Corvette (hire car) when he asked me if I was saved. That just killed the conversation for me so I told him I was an Atheist. The poor man nearly collapsed. He was lost for words and looked disgusted with me. He just stormed off as I wished him a pleasant journey. Later when I met my Atheist brother (a US citizen) he said something like “you’re only in the country 3 hours and at it already”. Haha.

Never let till tomarrow that one can do today! You as maybe the only atheist in that man's tight circle of friends, most likely caused him to look into his life insurance, and double his tithes....

I think you could have quickly dismantled most of his argument by explaining that science doesn't say that god does not exist. I can not think of a scientist who has said "I know there is no god".  That is the difference between science and faith. Science is not afraid to say " we don't know" or "we don't know yet". Some scientist even believe in god. Just like some smart religions accept evolution(catholic church for example)

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Judith van der Roos 5 minutes ago. 74 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service