I'm talking about all religions and every religion in general. What are your reasons? 

TEN. 
Religion and religious persons impose their faith into public policy and politics. Where it clearly doesn't belong.

NINE. 
Religion is still very much mediatory in the schools of nations such as Republic of Ireland, where it has no place. Churches were built for a reason. This makes many members of other faiths and no faiths feel uncomfortable and excluded during a time when young persons find it difficult to fit in as it is. It isn't a matter of talking about religion, but actively telling young persons to practice it mandatory. 

EIGHT. 
Many nations make it difficult for the non-religous to have any sort of successful career in politics (and being honest about their lack of faith at the same time)

SEVEN. 
Many religious groups impose their views of abortion on others and seek to make abortion illegal. Because of religion in other nations it now is or has been for sometime, outlawed medial practice. Abortion is not murder, murder is the illegal killing of a human being, not a pre-human being. 

SIX. 
Religion demonises many educational fields in contrast with its doctrine, such as certain aspects of history and many accepted theories 

FIVE. 
There have been cases in the United States and some other country where person's have lost their jobs due to lack of faith or alternative faiths and sometimes on the bases of sexual orientation (which is thought to be justified because of certain beliefs)

FOUR. 
Religion tries to justify many forms of discrimination including but not limited to, homophobia, sexism, racism and class

THREE.
Certain nations such as Iran and Uganda take their discrimination justified by religious beliefs a step further by improving atheists and murdering homosexuals

TWO. 
Religion has caused many to rebel against its corruption. While this mostly occurs in changing religions or declaring oneself atheist; that is not always the next direction for some. For some they take that faith and change it for their own purposes, often resulting in more extreme and harmful faith systems mostly regarded as cults. These cults involve all sorts of dangerous acts, such as mass suicide and sometimes violent attacks of non-beleivers of their faith. 

ONE:
Religion has literally caused people to go to war due to the influence of the faith and disagreement with certain policies based on religious beliefs (especially when a doctrine influences such actions)

Views: 2108

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"all democracies are comprised of people, some people are evil, there is nothing about democracy that precludes the ascension to the office of President, by a person with evil intentions, which doesn't make, by association, the democratic process evil"

Hear!  Hear! 

@archaeopteryx, exactly my point.  I think we have to be careful about labeling all religions as a "Negative Force" for the same reason.  Religions are comprised of people, and there have been wicked religious people, and stupid ones.  That does not make all religion wicked, or all religious people stupid, any more than the bad things our American democracy has done means that democracy as a form of government should be rejected.

@Keith referred to the Crusades and the Inquisition as religiously driven wars.  Though I'll note he's not clear as to which crusade, or which inquisition, it's interesting that he had to go back many hundreds of years to find relatively weak examples.  The argument would be much stronger if he were to label governments of all types as the bad guys for starting wars, then he could find plenty of examples in just the last century. 

I wonder, though.  Is that enough to condemn human governments?  They start wars?  Shouldn't that also be balanced against the good roles governments have played?  Building bridges?  Providing stability?  Resolving disputes? 

If that's the case, shouldn't the bad things that people have done in the name of religion be balanced against the good as well?  Just to be fair, and rational.

All the crusades were motivated by a combination of Christianity and Islam. 

I've already stated many Governments are run by religious leaders. Former President Bush admitted on many occasions that his actions were an act of God.  Be believed God told him to attack the middle east. 

At least you might have a chance of reasoning with a non religious leader going to war. 

RE: "B(H)e believed God told him to attack the middle east." - I'm thinking that would be the great god, Dick "Haliburton" Cheney --

I appreciate the compliment that we think alike in some respects, but, RE: "I think we have to be careful about labeling all religions as a "Negative Force" for the same reason.  Religions are comprised of people, and there have been wicked religious people, and stupid ones."

Sorry, can't go with you there, Bob - while I'll be the first to admit that there are "wicked" and stupid religious people, I'll be the first to admit that there are good, caring ones, as well as those who are highly intelligent, but I can't accept that belief in anything magical or supernatural is anything but negative - it's not the people with whom I have a problem, it's the belief system.

Those wicked and stupid people, have been stupid enough to follow a wicked and stupid doctrine.  They have been influenced by it.  Adolf Hitler and Anders Breivik are good examples of this.  They interoperate their faith based on the doctrine and act on it.  

The bible implies Jews are bad. So Hitler orders for them to be gassed. The bible says some negative things about homosexuality, the Westboro Baptist Church protests against them by making websites stating that their god hates them, picket their funerals and just spread general hate about them.  

Well, we've run headlong into Godwin's Law.  I win!

@Keith, those claims just aren't supportable on the evidence.

Aders Brevik testified his crimes and has been very clear on his reasons. People don't believe like he does and so he acted on it. 

There have been plenty news articles documenting the goings on of WBC, they even post notifications about their planned picketing of funerals. They have websites self documenting their hatred of LGBT. There was a documentary called "Jesus Camp".  Every single one of their websites has the word "hate" as part of its title.  Every single televised interview with Shirley Phelps Roper is evidence of itself that they do in fact view themselves as Christians and opposed to the rights of LGBT

As for Hitler he has been quoted many times stating that he is a Christian.  There have been interviews with holocaust survivors former nazis etc.  Now I know and most people may be skeptical about taking the word of eye witnesses' etc. But we know one thing for certain, the holocaust did happen, it is a factual part of history and a lot of Jews were murdered due to Hiltler. There are photographs available of the actual gas chambers used to kill the Jews. 

So yes my claims are supported with evidence. 

RE: "Religion does a better job with these than the principles of physical science, because the religions that have survived over the millenia did so by encouraging healthier societies.  They are the survivors of natural social selection."

I could spend hours refuting every word of that tripe, but I have neither the time nor the inclination - let those here accept what you say at will --

Lol or we could simply tell him he is wrong and leave it at that

10. If by "belief" you mean correct science and evidence that can save lives (like vaccines, information of when major storms or earthquake will hit a certain place, etc.) then yes.

9. In no science class is "God made the world in 6 days and rested on the 7th". In no PUBLIC school that is payed for with TAXES should there be any religion. None, no electives, nothing. Keep it at home or in your catholic school that is not funded by TAXES.

8. I'm happy to say that there are many governments world wide (England, New Zealand, and other places in Europe) that DO have Atheists in them. The founding fathers knew the importance of keeping religion and those certain pesky (not all) religious people OUT of politics. 

7. Put yourself in someone else's shoes Professor Robert. A working class person (or any person really) who was raped and got pregnant as a result. They have no interest in keeping the child or giving birth at all. Should they be allowed an abortion? 

6. I think that you are mistake. Your religion preserves what history? The bible? You call Noah's Ark, Exodus, Adam and Eve, the life of Jesus, Genesis Creation, the tower of Babel, Soddom and Gemorrah or any story from the Bible history? You want some history, in about 1616 the Church almost executed Galileo for disproving Biblical accounts of Astronomy (mainly that Jupiter has 4 moons and the solar system is heliocentric).

5. If by mass murderers you mean Hitler (who was a CHRISTIAN by the way). So he wasn't an Atheist. Stalin, Mao Zedong, Kim Jong Il, Kim Jong Un, etc. - these people are ANTI-THEISTS. There is a different. They simply don't believe in God (like Jainists). There are religions that DON'T involve God. So no, Atheists don't mass murder, dress up like Jesus and shoot doctors, protest soldier's funerals, discriminate based on race, sex, religious preference, etc. These are things RELIGIOUS people do. That is not to say that they don't do good things either, but let's be real, over the course of history, they have done more harm than good. 

4. Really? So the Vatican ISN'T anti-gay. If I remember the current Pope thinks that adoption by gay couples is child discrimination. If someone is gay, a priest would tell them to remain celibate. Let's turn to the bible, Leviticus 20:13; Exodus 35:2; Exodus 21:20-21; Titus 2:9-10; 1 Peter 2:18; and if I recall, Abraham (the so-called founder of this religion) used slaves, lied to all the powerful people he met about his wife out of his own self-interest, and mutilated his own, his slave's and his children's penises because God told him to. 

3. You see Democracy isn't claiming to be led by a divinely good being. Democracy isn't claiming ANYTHING divine. However, many of the people in THIS Democracy ARE making these divine claims, and are the ones authorizing these drone strikes. So it looks like there IS some sort of religion to these strikes. 

2. Junk science is always bad. No matter where it is. It undermines real science and takes us back to the dark ages. Its like trying to use ancient remedies to cure the flu. You know that the Egyptians used honey mixed with dates as contraception (inserted into the vagina). If you don't think that should be in the modern world, then neither should this junk religion science. 

1. As Keith pointed out, the crusades, the inquisition, 30 years war. Not to mention the wars fought for other religions. So yes, religion has started many wars and killed more people in history than anything else. 

I think it is you, professor, who needs to do more work. 

Let me just pull one claim from all of that @007, to highlight a point.

"Religion has started many wars and killed more people in history than anything else"

The evidence just doesn't support such a claim.   Here's Wikipedia's list of wars by death toll: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_and_anthropogenic_disaste... 

Why hold to a belief in spite of clear and convincing evidence to the contrary? 

Most of what you write above is similar in character.  You're holding on to it as a personal belief, but reality is saying something different.

There were a number of wars I didn't see listed there - all of the battles the OT tells us Joshua "fit" in order to reclaim the Levant, the Crusades --

Of course you're aware what WWI was fought to establish Germany's right as the center of the Holy Roman Empire, and WWII was a continuation of that, Then there's the Thirty Years War - I could go on but I'm an hour and a half past my bedtime, and I'm sleepy.l

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service