I am curious is speaking in tongues a form of Tourette Syndrome?

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My mother speaks in tongues, she an Evangelical! It creeps me out personally. She use to be Catholic but things change and got worse. :(

Yeah, "corrola toyota" sounds silly and funny--especially because it comes from fundies. So (imo), SIT theory has religious baggage that deters significant neuroscientific research. The fact that religion "discovered" SIT long before science examined it is a handicap.

I suspect that the creepy feel of some SIT 1) is evidence of an aspect of it's human universality but 2) helps lead "objective" people to discount its relevance. I'll bet that SIT science will eventually overcome the dogmas, and just be quietly incorporated into linguistic neuroscience.

I spent a year living in Oklahoma and I worked with a girl who spoke in tongues at a Christian church.  My friend's boyfriend (Oklahoma, again) also goes to a church where they speak in tongues.  I was invited to attend a service and I almost went because I was so curious about it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  A co-worker of mine here (Wisconsin) is a Jehovah's Witness and were discussing this a few days ago.  She said that, according to her readings, that speaking in tongues referred to speaking another language, basically.  It was apparently a gift from god, that these people could speak different languages, and people have taken it and turned it into their own "personal" language with god.  I don't care what anybody says, it creeps me out.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 5 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service