I am curious is speaking in tongues a form of Tourette Syndrome?

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't believe so. Tourette's is involuntary, while glossolalia (speaking in tongues) is a learned skill.

Alright, Mr. James.

We see here you that you are a fluent speaker of tongues. Is that true?

We require someone to speak to God. Do you think you are up for the task?

Congrats. We have the first prophet of Atheism.

No, it's just Christians talking incomprehensible bollocks.

Wait...

It's not a form of Tourette Syndrome, it's only useful and/or used in horror films and in the business of professional brainwashing. ;)
I always thought speaking in tongues was just some kind of hysterical ranting. I did a bit of reading and it's  mostly a learned behaviour that has no real meaning other than conforming to social norms.
No. I went to church when I was a teen once and "spoke tongues", to see if I could, and did so effortlessly even though I'm an Atheist. Tongues theory debunked. Does not require belief in God or Jesus, it's proof of nothing except how silly people are.

I saw a video on Ytube and the first words someone said when he was speaking in tongues were "corrola toyota". It was in the highest rated comments.

Checkmate!

There were some crazy priests (this is maybe an urban legend) that closed of boys so that they could not see the sun and so that they could not hear anyone speak because they believed that they will start to speak but with one true language, god's language, because god gave us language according to the bible. But what happened is that the boy started to die because they didn't have enough vitamin D because of lack of sun (we now know that, they of course didn't know this then).

RSS

Forum

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 15 minutes ago. 5 Replies

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 2 hours ago. 1 Reply

Genesis 3 - Quality Propaganda

Started by Aiken Drums Sister in Politics 3 hours ago. 0 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 3 hours ago. 43 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service