"TomKat" (Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes) break up, probably over Scientology

Katie Holmes blindsided Tom Cruise with divorce papers in the last day or two, and many speculate that she wants to protect her daughter Siri from being dragged into Scientology.

Now, I always wondered what possessed her to marry into Scientology in the first place, but it's heartening that her duty as a mom has come ahead of being married to Cruise, which has undoubtedly been a boost to her own career.

I really don't get how anyone can take a religion seriously knowing it was invented by a sci-fi writer and has a theology involving space aliens. But, when you get right down to it, is it that much wackier than Christianity?

(My apologies to TA for posting in Small Talk, having been told to try to post in the more specific categories, but this does seem to be a Small Talk kind of item, though I'm willing to listen to any suggestions of a better category. Perhaps we need a category devoted to entertainment topics. If TA had one, I would have posted there.)

Views: 731

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I apologize in advance, Unseen, if my reply is rude.  But why did it take you 6 1/2 lines of text to realize that Scientology is NOT a lot wackier than Christianity ?   Come to think of it, it's not even more evil than Christianity !  Yes, it's true that Scientology is a money-making/laundering, tax evading, manipulating, power-accruing machine...but so is the Christian church.  And yes, it's true that Scientology has been involved in many cases/accused of manslaughter (read Lisa McPherson, Patrice Vic and others), fraud and multiple types of abuse.  But Christian church has been responsible for the crusades, the Inquisition, witch burning, not to mention church leaders being responsible for rape and child abuse.

So I wouldn't be totally surprised if a still naive 25-year-old-or-so accepted this maniac as her husband and embraced Scientology...after being raised a Christian.  It's not a huge step backwards, is it ?

You have a rather weird conception of my thought process? I didn't "realize" at that point that scientology isn't all that different in wackiness than Christianity. No, that was just the point where I decided to express that thought.

I do think that Scientology's members, by and large, have been brainwashed. This is different from Christianity where people are Christian largely due to familiarity. I also think it's probably easier for a Christian to decide it's a crock and leave, at least in most denominations of Christianity because they do not practice shunning. They are more likely to engage in order to get the lapsed Christian to return to the fold.

No, I don 't have a weird conception of your thought process, I was just "tongue-in-cheek". 

RE: "at least in most denominations of Christianity because they do not practice shunning"

Have you not read ANY of the myriad of posts of people coming on this site with stories of how their friends and loved ones have turned their backs on them, once they'd deconverted? Maybe you could benefit from concentrating a little more on what is said, than whether or not it's properly spelled and punctuated.

Oh, wow...you equate anecdotes with general truth?

First, what you are describing is not a church policy except in some (very few) cases, and in most cases like those you've described (and I've read), those who do it are doing the opposite of what most Christian sects would prescribe.

Maybe you should take a moment to think it through before making such a criticism. A little pondering might have saved you from writing something so obviously beside the point.

How many anecdotes have to add up before they become a "general truth"?

And is this your idea of general truth: "at least in most denominations of Christianity because they do not practice shunning"?

How many anecdotes have to add up before they become a "general truth"?

There are a lot of racist anecdotes, I'm sure. How many of them does it take to make them generally true? I think you know the answer.

And is this your idea of general truth: "at least in most denominations of Christianity because they do not practice shunning"?

That's just a fact.

And what, in your "mind," is the difference between "a general truth" and "a fact"?

A truth, general or otherwise, involves an assertion. A fact is a state of affairs. You should know that!

For example, if I say my range is to the left of my refrigerator, that is a truth (or a falsehood) based on what is the case. Whatever is the case is a fact.

So the stated location of your range is true, or it is not/ is a fact, or it is not - and the difference would be --?

I see no line, fine or otherwise, just semantics.

So the stated location of your range is true, or it is not/ is a fact, or it is not - and the difference would be --?

Gobbledegook.

I see no line, fine or otherwise, just semantics.

Oh, the old "it's just semantics" trick.

And that would be the old, "I'm going to try to win my argument by resorting to semantics, but then he is going to accuse me of using semantics, so I'll head him off by accusing him of accusing me of using semantics," trick.

I'm genuinely sorry that comprehension is one of your many handicaps, but I can't allow your shortcomings to keep me awake at night, and tonight is no exception. Buenos nachos  --

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 17 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 105 Replies

East German Shame

Started by Davis Goodman in Law, Trials, and Decisions. Last reply by Simon Mathews 2 hours ago. 10 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 6 hours ago. 200 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service