Atheism is an oxymoron.

I can only assume she views atheism as a religion.  Any other conclusions?  Arguments?

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, they do.  It is one of the many lies they tell.  This lie, like so many others, is subtle.  It is a lie of omission.  Religious arguments, and creationist arguments in particular, are often based on lies of omission.  Such as omitting the fact that belief and faith have more than one definition.

Religion. All definitions have something to do with a higher power, a spiritual lider, a god, etc.

I am curious. Does he believe that the belief in Santa is also a religion?

You can tell him something like: "I believe you are stupid. Does that mean I have a new religion?" It shouldn't matter whether you believe he is stupid or not; just to see what his response is.

I considered doing something similar to that, but feel I am wasting energy and brain cells.  He and the other person are now in a shouting match on my fb page.
Thanks.  This discussion now has 236 comments.  I hope the madness ends soon.

Definition of RELIGION

a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
This is from Merriam Websters dictionary which is the dictionary that I have always understood to be the most accepted dictionary.
I can see from that where some people would consider it a religion, but if they consider atheism a religion they have to also consider all superstitions religions, or hockey a religion. or yoga a religion, or meditation a religion.. As a matter of a fact they have to hold every single belief they have in life as a religion. So there is really no point in arguing .. That is my opinion..

I was getting annoyed just reading this.  How can any clear thinking person attempt to water down the definition of religion so much as to make it mean 'A belief in something'?

We already have a word for that, it's called belief!  Let alone his atrocious reasoning for the falsity of evolution.  Ugh!

Is it that believers in a religion can't for the life of them imagine a person who is NOT part of a religion?  

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 1 Comment

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 5 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service