I study in a christian University and it is very common to get picked on by a lecturer to pray for the class before any given lecture commences. I havent been as unfortunate as to be chosen to lead "brethren" into a word of prayer but am sure a day will finally come when am picked out. So fellow thinkers, any ideas on how to go about it if the day comes? What reason can you give a lecturer whose age tripples yours, why you can not pray, and not sound like you are disrespecting him? suggestions highly welcome

Views: 638

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will be out through the window before i even say Satan...lol...

I'm just curious cause for the life of me I cannot figure out why you would attend a christian university?   

What I would do in you situation, I would write my own "prayer" one in which you mention why you don't believe in god and how pointless all prayer is.   Now I would have no problem being ostracized by a bunch of christians, but I'm guessing you would prefer not to experience this.  another alternative would(which I do not recomend) be to push down your own beliefs/disbeliefs and say a christian prayer.  Its a balance between who you are and who you want people to see you are.  But I must warn, many atheists cause themselves serious psychological damage by repressing who they are in order to fit in to a christian society.  Whatever you decide good luck 

There are three main reasons that atheists go to a Christian college or university.
1. The quality of education
2. They were still a Christian when they chose the school.
3. Parents made them go to a Christian School.
There may be other reasons, but those are the main ones that I have heard. As for myself, it is a combination of all three.

not to mention that some may go based on the financial aid offered to them by a xtian school...

2 and 3 were my reasons.

I began studying religion in a christian school because I wanted to be a minister.

In the course of studies I became and Atheist and tacked philosophy onto my major. I could still go in to the ministry if I so desired I guess. But I don't desire so.

1 and 2 are the reasons

Most educated Christians I have met are able to accept disagreement, in fact they are quite often respectful of those who do not share their opinion. I would apologize and request that he appoints someone else, as you are not a Christian and do not wish to affront their beliefs by falsely participating in their rituals.

Tough situation.  I agree that you should first look into what obligations you have to the university as a student there.  I say this because, the practice of calling on people as opposed to asking for volunteers makes it seem more like a requirement of class attendance than a choice for those who wish to pray.  However, you also state that it is common, which implies that it is not universal (e.g. not all lecturers in all classes follow this procedure).  You need to ascertain if this is just a cultural practice or a formal policy for the university at large.  If it's a formal policy and you still have an issue with it, then you may need to take that up with the university admin as opposed to the lecturers to see what your choices are.  If it is a cultural practice of certain lecturers, then I suggest privately approaching each lecturer to let them know that it is your preference to not be called on to lead the prayer.  I'd say that your reasons for this are your own personal matters, and that you shouldn't feel obligated to explain why.  Easier said than done, but if you remain calm, stay polite and consistent, and stick to the issue of mutual respect (rather than personal beliefs and who's right or wrong), you should be better off for it.  Good luck!

Simply say "I don't believe in prayer and I would feel intellectually dishonest if I was to pretend I did. No disrespect intended, but I don't share your faith."

Say your spirituality is deeply personal and making your relationship with "god" public makes you uncomfortable.

Remain silent. Don’t say anything. Don’t explain why you won’t start the prayers. Don’t even shrug your shoulders. Just look blankly over his head as if you cannot hear him or understand the meaning of what you are being asked. If he or any students ask you what you were doing or why you would not pray say nothing but adopt the same blank expression. Never explain to them what you are doing. Then continue as normal with everything else – as if nothing happened – which of course it didn’t. Never explain it – never complain about it.

If chosen, start singing the alphabet song, or counting, or ordering a big mac meal and try to get onion rings instead of fries (which McDonalds doesn't have), Even better, start your prayer by listing all the gods you know in alphabetical order and pray to them one by one.

Guarantee you'll only be asked once.

On a more serious note. Don't wait for him to call you, go to him after your next class and let him know you're not exactly personally comfortable with praying in public. You don't need to give him a reason unless he asks, and if he does all you need to say is that it's something concerning religion. Be honest, but sadly in this case I think you must be somewhat evasive if you want to stay "under cover", so if he pries just say something like "I like to keep my prayer life private." Yes you do not have a "prayer life" but that's why it's private... right? Basically what you want is to give him just the right amount of information to deduce that you are seriously not okay with praying in public, but to deduce nothing else at all.

RSS

Blog Posts

The Void of Silence

Posted by Carol Foley on July 31, 2014 at 11:02pm 1 Comment

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service