Today I met someone that told me that they were not going to vaccinate their child because it causes autism. Sometimes I get really tired of this type of person and I know some of you do too.

I was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and how did you handle it. Me, I just walked away from that particular person.

Tags: advice, autism, examples, vaccines

Views: 717

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good follow up Dave. 

Valid. but allowing someone to inject your children is a pretty big leap of faith, and people who would dispense pharmaceuticals on a who can afford it basis, or push dangerous and inferior drugs to replace Superior products as a matter of securing new patents and maintaining industry dominance, just do not deserve that kind of faith. Again I think people should vaccinate, but I understand their distrust. There may be good people working for pharmaceutical companies, but are there good people running these same companies? I sincerely doubt it. You don't become the head of a major corporation with sunshine and good intentions, you get there with the wining combination of psychopathy and undeserved privilege.

As for the auto industry, they have suppressed technology to meet their own fiscal desires, at the expense of the environment and regular people, it's been proven. Look, for example, at the documentary entitled "Who killed the electric car?". They only care about money. Does that mean the guy on the assembly line is a bad person? No, certainly not. But the person running the company, and actually making these decisions is a monster.

As for the bit about "the Elders of Zion", that seems like painting with a broad brush, an attempt to link the very real misdeeds of big-pharma, with a very fake and greatly discredited hoax. Do Jews control international finance? No, certainly not. But the people who do run the worlds financial markets, very publicly in fact (I.e. politicians, investment bankers, the Vatican, the robber barrens) are a bunch of jackals, and like the people behind big-pharma and the auto industry, would gladly eat your children in front of you for a couple extra dollars. 

Oil is another good example. Is the idea of the oil industry suppressing, or seeking to control, any other emerging energy sources that they see as a threat to their profits a whacky conspiracy? No, its the reality of our shameful system. Those people don't care about the ozone, or carbon emissions, or deforestation, or oil spills. All they want is more money, on top of the ridiculous amount they already have. They say "screw the earth, screw it's people, screw our children's futures, little green pieces of paper are all that we care about". BP for example, look at their reaction to the oil spill, they look so nice and shiny on television. But what if that had happened somewhere else, where there's no money to be made through a shiny PR campaign, nor any to be lost by ignoring the problem. A place like maybe Somalia. The outcome is different and it's all because of money. 

I saw "Who killed the electric car."  The cars were released in beta testing to a small group of private consumers.  They were running great, the charging stations functioned as designed, an overwhelming majority of drivers loved their electric cars.  The feedback was positive--perhaps a bit too positive.  One day people were enjoying their cars and the next morning cars were being towed away.  Drivers were upset and never got a plausible explanation. 

I know pharmaceutical companies are there to make a buck, but (a) it isn't pharmaceutical companies who recommend vaccination but medical researchers and pediatricians, and (b) it's really irresponsible to say stuff like they'd willingly kill people to turn a buck. True, greed can blind one to the consequences of one's actions, but to say that they wake up in the morning wondering how many people they can kill today, if that's what it takes to make some money, which would be evil, not only don't I believe that but if anyone does, I'd have to question their mental faculties. When you say they are "no better than common crack dealers," that is very hyperbolic and you shouldn't be saying stuff like that. You're coming very close to falling into the crackpot conspiracy theory crowd.

(a) It's the pharmaceutical companies the people are afraid of, that is why the medical professionals have such a fight on their hands. The pharmaceutical companies have earned this distrust. It's sad that something so essential is linked back to a monstrous industry. It's like the food industry, they're involved in illegal labor, cruel slaughtering practices, and using harmful additives. Does that mean people should stop eating altogether? No.

(b) I just disagree here. It's not irresponsible to say, more people die from prescription drugs then illegal drugs. Drug companies sell crap that kills people, they know it kills people, and they do it for the money. That is a lot like a crack dealer, the only difference is that the crack dealers are typically poorer people who actually need the money. At least crack isn't backed by some phoney clinical trial that convinces people its safe, like with the opiates and anti-depressants. At least when a person buys crack they know what their buying and harbor no delusions that it's healthy for them. Not that there aren't responsible applications for opiates, benzo's, and whatnot, but the pharmaceutical companies are not interested in responsible applications, they are only interested in profitable ones.

You may think my standpoint is "irresponsible", but I could argue that yours is as well. basically your saying "Sure, the primary goal of the pharmaceutical industry is to turn a profit, but we should just blindly trust them with our health and safety anyway." to me that sounds pretty irresponsible. I have no faith in religion, why would I put faith in corporations or governments? They are all mechanisms for controlling people, and they do not have the best interests of the people they control at heart. As for "they don't get up and say, How many people can I kill today to make a buck" what do you think the leaders of German chemical giant IG farbin thought, when they contributed to the production of zyclon B during the Holocaust? I think it was pretty much "how many people can I kill today to make a buck". Sorry man, that's just how I feel, I didn't mean to offend you or anything but I don't think questioning authoritarian corporate structures amounts to a "crackpot conspiracy theory", and I might question the mental faculties of anyone who feels differently, so I guess in that respect we're similar. Both of us willing to question the sanity of other.

Much respect.

(a) It's the pharmaceutical companies the people are afraid of, that is why the medical professionals have such a fight on their hands. The pharmaceutical companies have earned this distrust. It's sad that something so essential is linked back to a monstrous industry. It's like the food industry, they're involved in illegal labor, cruel slaughtering practices, and using harmful additives. Does that mean people should stop eating altogether? No.

(a) Who are you alleging is afraid of the pharmaceuticals industry? My primary care doctor? What hold do they have on him? On industry critics and watchdogs? What do they have to fear? It's unclear to me if you are saying that the pharmaceuticals industry is involved in illegal labor, cruel slaughtering practices, and harmful additives? If not, then your point escapes me.

(b) I just disagree here. It's not irresponsible to say, more people die from prescription drugs then illegal drugs. Drug companies sell crap that kills people, they know it kills people, and they do it for the money. That is a lot like a crack dealer, the only difference is that the crack dealers are typically poorer people who actually need the money. At least crack isn't backed by some phoney clinical trial that convinces people its safe, like with the opiates and anti-depressants. At least when a person buys crack they know what their buying and harbor no delusions that it's healthy for them. Not that there aren't responsible applications for opiates, benzo's, and whatnot, but the pharmaceutical companies are not interested in responsible applications, they are only interested in profitable ones.

(b) The pharmaceuticals industry simply makes the drugs. It's not possible to buy hydrocodone or oxycodone directly from the manufacturer. It has to be prescribed. The people who misuse these legal drugs, often for "recreational" purposes, are the ones to blame, because addictive pain killers have a useful and reputable purpose. If someone decides to use them for partying purposes, blame the stupid user, not the pharmaceutical company.

You may think my standpoint is "irresponsible", but I could argue that yours is as well. basically your saying "Sure, the primary goal of the pharmaceutical industry is to turn a profit, but we should just blindly trust them with our health and safety anyway." to me that sounds pretty irresponsible. I have no faith in religion, why would I put faith in corporations or governments? They are all mechanisms for controlling people, and they do not have the best interests of the people they control at heart. As for "they don't get up and say, How many people can I kill today to make a buck" what do you think the leaders of German chemical giant IG farbin thought, when they contributed to the production of zyclon B during the Holocaust? I think it was pretty much "how many people can I kill today to make a buck". Sorry man, that's just how I feel, I didn't mean to offend you or anything but I don't think questioning authoritarian corporate structures amounts to a "crackpot conspiracy theory", and I might question the mental faculties of anyone who feels differently, so I guess in that respect we're similar. Both of us willing to question the sanity of other.

That's a ridiculous, self-serving, and dishonest characterization of my view. I don't "just blindly trust them." If I trust anyone, it's the Food and Drug Administration, industry whistleblowers, investigative journalists, and industry watchdog groups. Perhaps they are dishonest. In that case, I am truly truly stupid. However, I don't think that is the case. Your comparison between IG Farbin and the American pharmaceuticals industry is laughably beside the point. First off, to my knowledge Zyclon B was being produced for the express purpose of killing people. Hydrocodone is being produced to spare people pain. Any deaths are due to self-abuse by stupid people who are willing to trade their health and possibly even their life for a buzz or a rush or a chance to relieve their psychic anguish by ignoring the instructions on the bottle.

I can tell how you feel. I'd be more pleased if you thought with your brain rather than letting your feelings take over.

(a) The people who refuse vaccines are the ones who are afraid of the pharmaceutical companies, that was my point.

(b) the pharmaceutical companies do not just make the drugs, they pay people lots of money to write positive peer reviews to convince other medical professionals. They also provide financial incentives for doctors to prescribe their junk as much as they can. Without the influence of the pharmaceutical lobby, doctors would not have incentive to give people narcotics when otc's, or just rest would suffice. Oxy users are not born, they are made by prescriptions, it is a very addictive drug with high potential for overdose or other complications. In some places they just give people marijuana in one form or another, but not in most places, and that is also related to the pharmaceutical lobby. 

http://www.sfms.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&TEMPLATE=/CM/H...

http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/newsarticle.aspx?articleid=10...

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/538044

As for the FDA you place so much trust in. Here's a brief list of incidences in which they failed to do their job. If you want to talk about dishonest and self serving then look at your comment "Any deaths are due to self-abuse by stupid people who are willing to trade their health and possibly even their life for a buzz or a rush or a chance to relieve their psychic anguish". People with serious injuries who are on oxys for a long time, even at doctor recommended doses can suffer serious damage to the liver. People with breathing problems can die in their sleep from oxys.   

http://www.citizen.org/hrg1759

Sorry, I didn't realize that people who don't agree with you are not thinking with their brains. Damn me for having emotions and thoughts of my own, I guess I should ask the FDA what my opinion is from now on. And I don't care what circumstances please you, you can go please your damn self. 

Less respect.

(a) Who are you alleging is afraid of the pharmaceuticals industry? My primary care doctor? What hold do they have on him? -Unseen

(b) the pharmaceutical companies do not just make the drugs, they pay people lots of money to write positive peer reviews to convince other medical professionals.They also provide financial incentives for doctors to prescribe their junk as much as they can. -Hank

Sadly, I think Hank is correct here.  Pharmacy reps manipulate people through the way our medical system and medical education system are structured. My cousin's psychiatrist all but confirmed this scenario.  When she told him what her GP had put her on--the nightmare drug that landed her in the hospital for a week of observation and monitored medicine adjustment--the psychiatrist told her:

'Your General Practitioner put you on that!?  Of course, GPs are the only people who perscribe that drug.  Everyone in the psychiatric and pharmaceutical community knows that this is a bad drug--lots of side-effects and it never works.  The only reason that drug is still perscribed is because pharmaceutical reps. target GPs.  They go in and tell them this is a great drug for [X condition] and they really push it.  GPs have no idea how bad it really is but no psychiatrist would ever have given you that.  This drug should really never be used.'

My sentiments exactly. The process your describing also results in young children being prescribed drugs that were never tested on people in their age groups. Very young children on powerful drugs like antidepressants and stimulants.

As I stated before, I don't agree with refusing to vaccinate your children, but distrust toward the pharmaceutical industry is an earned distrust, there are valid, tangible reasons not to trust these people. 

I had a somewhat similar experience with an in-law who believes in homeopathy.  I didn't walk away, though; all my other relatives dragged me way, kicking and and screaming.

I gently but firmly argue against homeopathy.  I placed a seed of doubt about ear candling last year for my Grandparents to cultivate.  Recently, I heard them bashing ear candling.  I was relieved to hear they won't be scalding their outer ear canals with drops of wax any time soon!  People have their pride, of course, so I just smiled inside.

i guess im not as eager to inform people. i sorta laugh make a mental note to not let me or my kids anywhere near their barbarian cave babies.

RSS

Forum

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 51 minutes ago. 1 Reply

Genesis 3 - Quality Propaganda

Started by Aiken Drums Sister in Politics 2 hours ago. 0 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 43 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Aiken Drums Sister 3 hours ago. 17 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service