Time for some grammar nazi fun. Things people say that bother you.

Give pet peeves and discuss.

"I'll take who's next."

If that sounds right to you, you have a tin ear. It should be "I'll take whoever is next" or "I'm ready for the next person."

Checkout signs that say something like "Ten items or less."

No, no, no. It's "fewer," not "less."

Here's a biblical one:

"The wages of sin is death." What the hell? Plural noun and singular verb?

It should be "The wage of sin is death" because "The wages of sin are death" is just as messed up as the original and for the same reason. 

Your turn.

Views: 1460

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Words people regularly misuse in various ways:

"kudos" is not the plural of "kudo." It's singular...a Greek word meaning "praise."Or, better yet, don't use the word "kudos" at all. It's pretentious.

"ultimate" actually means "last" not "best." And "penultimate" means "second-last."

"irony" refers to something unexpected, not something funny.

"which begs the question" does not mean to raise a question. It means to assume or presume something without stating as much.

"flaunt" and "flout" are not synonyms. The former means to show something off whereas the latter means to make a show of defying or disobeying a rule or convention of some sort.

When you hang someone (until dead) that are not "hung," they are "hanged."

"ironic" means incongruent or unexpected and does not mean unfortunate.

"literally" means exactly as stated. Not to be confused with "figuratively," which means in a manner of speaking.

"refute" means to counter with definitive proof. It's often wrongly used as a synonym for providing a counter argument or reply.

"tortuous" and "torturous" are two different words. The former means twisty or winding whereas the latter refers to something extremely unpleasant.

"an effect" means an influence; "to effect" means to bring about; "to affect" means either to influence or to fake; "an affect" is a behavioral mannerism.

Those are more vocabulary orientated than grammar related.

My pet peeve for erroneously used words, is 'enormity', which does not mean huge, but rather means horrific.

Me too (despite your n./adj. inconsistency). It seems, however, that common usage is supplanting our sensibilities. Many modern dictionaries now equate "enormity" with "enormousness". It is, after all, the role of the dictionary to report usage rather than prescribe definitions.

Apparently the word "silly," over the centuries, has gone from meaning holy/spiritual, to, well...silly.

Maybe to us that's no change, but to most speakers it is.

I see 'tenant' used where 'tenet' is meant.

And I've seen discrete and discreet confused as well (but I may have mentioned that already).

yeah tenant and tenet frequently...so too perspective and prospective and lets not forget about realators instead of realtors

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, "realator" isn't even a word; it's just a mangling of a real word, like people who insist on "legnth, width, and heighth."

not a word...was in law...and seemingly half of clients called em realators...but it is more fun to say than realtor

Only half?  Really?

Related to the extra syllable in "realator," my late father used to drive me nuts when he talked about his "arthuritis."

I heard people use "Old timer's disease" for years before I realized they were serious--they really thought it was called "old timer's disease" and weren't trying to make a joke.

"I'm a guy with an unusually large vocabulary"

Yes, Unseen, I'm certainly impressed with the enormity of your vocabulary. I can't wait for the next lesson.

;-)

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service