THOUGHTS on stealing Christian’s tactics and providing a sense of community

Part of the allure of organised religion is the sense of community it boasts, individuals gathering once a week to dialogue their lives, bible, deity ect.  My question is should the atheist community also benefit from these tactics? Studies have shown that individuals (particularly young impressionable teens) feel a sense of belonging when part of a group… would it be wrong to take advantage of this like religious sects have?  A common concern may be that individuals may attend to follow “the crowed” but if in the preparation of these gatherings a conscious effort to educate and encourage critical thinking was undertaken, would it be so wrong to steal the Christians dirty tactics?

Personally I thought most atheists would agree that weekly meetings with like-minded individuals sounded ideal but after briefly mentioning it to a fellow atheist friend I was deterred, what are your thoughts on this matter?

Tags: Christian, atheist, community, impressionable, meetings, stealing, tactics?

Views: 267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps Gabriela you might be interested in looking into the Humanist organization.They are atheists but seem to be support a more social connection.

The success of religion hinges on community. Religion is a binding agent, so to speak, coercing disparate individuals into believing they are part of something bigger. Patriotism serves the same purpose. That we reject or dismiss arguments for ancient belief systems is the one thing we have in common--individually, we may have more than one thing in common; but collectively our rejection of certain belief systems binds us. I think creating social situations to encourage like-minded individuals to come together, to 'cement' this potential 'binding agent,' is, I think, a logical extension. The existence of this site, and of sites like it, is evidence, I think, of a yearning for broader social interactions.

I don't think you'd be 'stealing Christian tactics'; I think you'd be adopting the form of religion or politics for non-religious or apolitical means.
It just occurred to me: by my own definitions that last sentence is not true.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service