I was sitting in my room on the computer when I suddenly got an urge to "try something new" with another woman. After I had repented, flogged myself several times, and promised to offer a burnt offering for forgiveness to the All-Powerful, All-Omnipotent, and All-Merciful Ruler of the universe, I skipped back to my bed and said a long, remorseful prayer. Refreshing.

Just kidding :p But, on a more serious note, is this common among either gender? I might just be asking some really weird questions, but does anyone else ever have a moment when they're attracted to the same sex? Is it offensive to people who are naturally inclined to be gay to "experiment"? Personally, even when I was a christian, I didn't know how to deal with the whole issue. It seemed so snotty just to say something like "I love the sinner and not the sin" (picture a victorian noblewoman fanning herself and in a fake, high-pitched voice going "hahahahaha" right after saying this). Now I don't really care. People should be able to be with who they love regardless of who it turns out to be. But I never thought that I'd ever have those types of feelings.

Any other thoughts?

Tags: homosexuality, morality, sex

Views: 320

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe thou protests too much.  Maybe not.  I am sure that there are those who are not in the least sexually aroused by the same sex.  Male, female, whatever.  Ever.  Never Ever.  I am not one of those individuals.  I recognize hormones, social mores, the whole biology of sex.  I just recognize that I have had those feelings, for whatever reason and accept them.  Have I ever acted on them, no.  It isn't in my nature.  But that is me.  I still will not judge another person's nature.  Statistically there is an expected variation of what is normal, or what is reported as normal and it isn't one side or the other.  Generally speaking, it will be a bell curve with most of the respondents in the center.  You happen to be on one of the polar ends.  It doesn't make the other polar end wrong or deviant.
I certainly don't claim that the polar end opposite to mine is wrong, or deviant, or anything else. Nor do I make this claim about anyone who falls in between, which I agree is likely the majority of humanity. The only thing I'm saying is that it's incorrect to claim that there are no people who sit on these far polar ends. I sit on the one end, as I'm sure plenty of other people do, and I'm equally sure there are many people who have never been attracted to a member of the opposite sex. That's all.
I would have to agree with the majority of replies here.  I think it is normal.  I happen to be hetero but there are plenty of women that I find extremely sexy.  The media makes sure of that.  My boyfriend and I even joke at times when he will say "I would do that actress!" and I will retort "So would I!"

"Is it offensive to people who are naturally inclined to be gay to "experiment"?"

Your sexuality is just that: yours.  You are accountable to the feelings of any partners your take, but outside of that, is it really anyone else's business?  If someone ever told me they were offended by my sexual experiences, I'd tell them to go fuck themselves in a heartbeat, regardless of what their sexual orientation was.  My sex life isn't about them; it's about me.

I do understand how fauxmosexuality could be frustrating or annoying to some people, but that's a bit of a different scenario.  There is something trivializing about someone pretending to be gay because it's the fashionable or trendy thing to do at that moment.  In that case it seems less like an expression of one's sexuality and more like social opportunism.  I still don't really consider it my right to pass moral judgment on such behavior, though I do find myself a bit turned off by actions that seem so insincere (though I can't always rightly say what is and is not sincere).

Thank you all for your replies. Kris Feenstra, fauxmosexuality was what I was afraid was happening. Although I certainly wouldn't be gay for social opportunism, I was more concerned that I might hurt their cause since so many christians say that if homosexuality is socially accepted then everyone will want to be homosexual. It's a dumb argument, and now that I think about it I've been viewing the whole issue based on their flawed morality. They believe it's wrong and I don't. I don't really care what people do as long as their not hurting others, but it seems to me that the more freedom we have in our lives (not just with sexuality) the more religious people seem to view us as damned and close their ears to whatever we have to say.

When it comes to the GLBT community, there are a lot of diverse views, but in my experience, the majority of people supporting the cause are ultimately supporting the right for people to be themselves and to pursue happiness.  Experimentation is part of pursuing happiness for a great many people.  Sometimes the experiment goes well, and sometimes it all goes wrong.  It's not as if people aren't constantly getting it wrong in heterosexual relationships as well.  It's part of life.

"...but it seems to me that the more freedom we have in our lives (not just with sexuality) the more religious people seem to view us as damned and close their ears to whatever we have to say."

The extremes will probably get louder the more agitated and anxious they get.  I think the fact that some groups are getting so riled up and irrational is a sign that the tides are turning against them.

Biologically speaking, evidence points to the fact that female sexuality is a pretty fluid thing. 

1)http://www.psych.utah.edu/people/people/diamond/Publications/New%20...

Thanks for the study!
I think people should be able to marry whoever they want, but I would get upset if a girl tried to turn me gay.
If she tried to "turn you gay"? What, with her magic wand? I think you simply mean if a girl were to make advances toward you. You don't actually believe you can be "turned" gay? Do you?
Turn you gay?
Do you think there is some magical wand of faggotry that will suddenly make you crave boobies with just a touch?
How do I get one of those? Cus I would LOVE to turn soooo many conservative hate-mongers gay.
Hey...maybe it is actually a potion. A Turn You Gay potion we could coat barbs with and hunt homophobes with?!
I would love to get Rush Limbaugh with a gay-dart. That would totally be the big-game hunting of homosexuality! Arm me with a blow gun and send me to Alabama, folks! I'm going on safari!
Wand of Faggotry...sounds plausible enough to be in the next Lord of the Rings. I'd rather see a bunch of hobbits fighting over a fairy-wand than a ring anyway.

Of course it's a potion, not a wand--why didn't I think of that? If you do get to go on safari, can I come with? I have a new gay-motion potion I'm going to sell in mass quantity to street vendors. I think if I get a big country celebrity to put their name on it, like Reba for the would-be lesbians and Dirks Bentley for the fairies-to-be, it could take Alabama by storm. Farm-hands with extra sway in their swagger. Barefoot and pregnant meets barefoot and butch.

...and before you say I was stereotyping and offending the gay populace--As a card carrying member I have certain inalienably rights of which I have chosen to exercise in this post.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 2 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 5 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service