I was sitting in my room on the computer when I suddenly got an urge to "try something new" with another woman. After I had repented, flogged myself several times, and promised to offer a burnt offering for forgiveness to the All-Powerful, All-Omnipotent, and All-Merciful Ruler of the universe, I skipped back to my bed and said a long, remorseful prayer. Refreshing.

Just kidding :p But, on a more serious note, is this common among either gender? I might just be asking some really weird questions, but does anyone else ever have a moment when they're attracted to the same sex? Is it offensive to people who are naturally inclined to be gay to "experiment"? Personally, even when I was a christian, I didn't know how to deal with the whole issue. It seemed so snotty just to say something like "I love the sinner and not the sin" (picture a victorian noblewoman fanning herself and in a fake, high-pitched voice going "hahahahaha" right after saying this). Now I don't really care. People should be able to be with who they love regardless of who it turns out to be. But I never thought that I'd ever have those types of feelings.

Any other thoughts?

Tags: homosexuality, morality, sex

Views: 319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And I, like a good sheep, will pay. I won't have my evangelists running around in shabby cars while others have private jets and million dollar houses in every state! That just won't do when it comes to having ready transportation and comfortable places to stay while preaching to the poor now will it? I'll send a check immediately.

You make an argument against Romans 1:26 as being vague. I could agree with that. But it would be a contrived argument to make Paul is referring to bestiality instead of lesbianism or bisexuality as "unnatural use" as the context there does not allow for such licence with the text and the following sentence/ verse 1:27 the word "likewise.." as in "..likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another.." suggests Paul is quite explicit in listing lesbians, bisexuals and homosexuals among those "worthy of death."

The point is not I think how liberal minded Christians could if they so please reinterpret stuff in the Bible that is immoral, wrong, stupid, inconsistent, (self-)contradictory and so forth and turn it into something mildly sane with accompanying exegesis, however clever that might be constructed, but what the text actually says and more importantly what Bible thumping Christians believe it says.

If they believe your version and only male homosexuals should be put to death, then I guess we saved the better half, but it is still a depressing story nevertheless I'd think.

Indeed, still a depressing story. But I think the point for me in making that video was to challenge believers within their existing mind set. If you can challenge and change a less-central belief, it can also shake a person's core beliefs. (That was the net effect for me, anyway.)
The bible does condemn female homosexuality:

Romans 1:26 NLT:
"That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other."
The NLT is not a very accurate translation. The ESV isn't perfect but is a lot closer.

I agree with that, it is in fact very far removed from that, but it does betray an uncomfortable consensus among Christians on what the text means:

http://scripturetext.com/romans/1-26.htm

It's normal. Human sexuality is complicated, and viewing it in terms of "you're either attracted to one gender or the other" is far too simplistic and confining. Even labelling people "gay, straight, or bi" is probably too simplistic.  I'm a lesbian, but I'm not afraid to admit that Morgan Freeman's voice sort of turns me on.
I don't know about all this smart stuff people are talking about, but this is getting hot!
hahaha
Lol I didn't know what to expect in terms of answers, but they've been really smart answers.

The varieties of human sexual behavior are many and varied.  The only one that is not a sin is pro-creative sex between married members of the opposite sex.  So, all the rest of the sexual behaviors humans exhibit, though not necessarily rare are taboo, but the majority participates in at least some of them, sometime in their lives.  Masturbation, fornication, adultery, homosexuality, polyamory,  bestiality, sodomy, oral sex, anal sex, bondage and domination, sado-maschosim, frotterage, etc. etc. etc.

My bottom line is: if it feels good and is pleasurable to all involved, enjoy yourself. 

I would disagree with the overall statement of this post. As has been said above, sexuality runs through an extremely broad range; why would the polar ends of this range be non-existent? I say this as a straight male who has never been attracted to another male in the slightest.

RSS

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service