Hi friends,

I'm opening this topic up because I would like to hear from fellow atheists who have a religious spouse.

I have found myself getting less and less tolerant of the need to have an imaginary friend. I try to keep it to myself as much as I can, but we all know what happens from time to time eh?

I have some questions that I'd like to pose for anyone who cares to chime in.

Are you the dominant one in the marriage? Is that because of your atheism or some other reason? Do you think that would be even a factor? Is it the need for control or just the logical procession of the marriage? Or do you consider you and your spouse to be equally dominant?

I know that's a lot of questions there, but there are lots more to come.

What religious celebrations/ceremonies do you participate in with your spouse? Do you do this just to keep the peace, or do you do it as a supportive role ?

How much religiosity do you allow going on in your home? For example, the watching of Sunday worship shows or the persistent playing of christian music etc.

How much religious decor, symbols and statues etc?

If you have children, how are you handling the conflicting interests of raising your child, in so far as religious influence from your spouse or other family members around your children?

I'll continue for now by answering myself. Kinda like talking to myself. Here comes the straight jacket.

I consider myself to be the dominant one in my marriage. Not because of my atheism per-say, although I think that if I were too a believer it might be more swaying towards equally dominant. More so that it seems to be the logical procession in my case. Sole bread winner, and better educated in my opinion.

I do not and will not attend church service. That's off the table. I will go to the likes of a wake, but I'm probably not going to be at the funeral or the christening unless it's a really close family member.

I allow my wife a little slack on a Sunday to watch some mind numbing, sanctimonious bullshit. I can stomach a little bit in the background. As far as the music goes I'm usually complaining about it by the second song or so. "Surely there's something we all would like to listen to now honey?". I don't care about when I'm not there.

I have allowed a lot of slack in that area, but I have to say that my wife has not taken the piss in that department. She has a few angels and the odd cross here and there. There's no "Ten Commandments" on the wall or any of that nonsense. If you don't know how to act....there's the door.

I'm struggling with this whole thing because everyone I know is a theist. Therefore everyone my son knows is a theist. Now he understands what I tell him about them just being stories, and that a lot of people still live their lives in fear of the invisible and unproven, because they need to feel that there is a better place to go to when you die. And that all the religions think the same way about all the other religions. They will simply go to hell for not believing in their "One true God". I've explained about the facts of the ancient gods, whom no one believes in any more, and that the christian god will also be a thing of the past one day because the advancement of mankind and his intelligent discoveries are explaining the world around us with "TRUTH".

Anyways, that's enough to be going on with for now. If anyone has some questions themselves? Feel free to ask.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with a similar plight. I will soldier on for the mean time.

Views: 652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are many things about my wife that I respect and appreciate. I appreciate especially how she understands my feelings on the whole God subject. She knows no other way. Solely, in my opinion, because her mother is very strong in her belief. So strong that she is convinced she can convince me. And has instilled that very same fear into my wife. From birth until now.

I don't spend my entire time trying to convince her to stop believing in this old fairy tale and embrace life in a new light with belief in herself. But every chance I get, I do try to interject a thought or question. To which there's usually not any valid response. Mostly of late she just kinda doesn't know why she believes. I truly feel sympathy for her plight. I can help her because I'll always be here for her if she changes her mind or not. And as self conscious as she is, I'd doubt if she would because of her family.

As far as it goes with my son, well it will always be a struggle for me because I have "no back up" as they say. Meaning friends who agree with me. No one to be on my side. Looked at like I'm trying to deprive my son of the lord's love and stupid crap like that. I'm saving him. Screw them crazies.

To which there's usually not any valid response. Mostly of late she just kinda doesn't know why she believes.

That is the exact same feeling I get from my mother.  She doesn't really have very firm convictions anyore but isn't willing to look at why that is on any critical level, perhaps because she fears where it might lead... 

As far as your struggle with raising your son without a like-minded support system, I can only admire your resolve.  It can be very lonely, doing what is right.  Are there any atheist groups in a metro area around you?  I found a local group just in my backyard on meetup.com.  Maybe you could start one, if not.

RSS

Forum

Help Think Atheist!

Started by David Smith in Theistic Arguments and Debate Help. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 2 hours ago. 19 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Unseen 2 hours ago. 47 Replies

The Angelina Jolie Effect

Started by Belle Rose in Biology and Medicine. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 4 Replies

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service