And I mean the nonreligious stuff. We talk about that all day long here. I'll start...

People who insist on turning against heavy traffic from the driving lane even though there is a middle lane set aside for turning.

People who can't take two additional seconds to push their shopping cart into the stacked carts, but leave it laying around two or three feet away from where it should properly be put.

Men who piss into toilets without putting the seat up and/or don't wipe the seat. (Were you raised in a barn or is it that you're afraid of the germs on the seat but are also afraid of washing your hands after touching something "dirty"?)

Otherwise intelligent people who can't pronounce "nuclear" without putting two u's in it.

Tags: complaints, gripes, groans

Views: 1208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It could be that they turn their fear into anger as part of a coping mechanism... I'm not a psychologist but it should plausible enough.

It actually also means general antipathy, not just fear.

According to the OED (Canadian Second Edition)

• homophobia: a hatred or fear of or prejudice against homosexuals or homosexuality

I think there can be a tendency here at TA to take the literal or traditional meaning.  Ex.: homo=same(sex, from homosexual) + phobia=fear MUST mean fear of homosexuals.  But language isn't a chemical formula.  I do the same sometimes.

Working in a retail store:

When people fill their carts with a ton of stuff then get to the register and decide they only want 2 items.

When people get to the checkout and think everything is 50 cents or free.

When people pick shit up and bring it ALL THE WAY around the store and through it on a random shelf.

When people let their kids run through the store and tear shit up.

Shopping with that person.  I end up cleaning up their mess out of embarrassment.

people who were clearly there at a stop sign before you, but act like they don't understand how all-way stops work. 

and visa versa, of course

also, i hate when people talk over you right as you're trying to start talking. and they don't even give a courteous pause to see if you really had anything to say, just keep on going.

At the risk of starting a flame war, I find the overly-polite driver typically is a woman. One thing that was drilled into me as a youth is that you cede right of way when it's owned by the other driver, and you take it (with appropriate caution, of course) when it's yours. Otherwise, you're creating an ambiguous situation and potentially putting the innocent party in a bad legal position of they take the bait.

I hate it when people seem unaware of the give and take of conversation. When you want to interject an observation that's pertinent to something the other person just said, it's just good conversational manners to relax, shut up, and let the other person jump in. That thing our parents taught us, to never interrupt another, may apply to people giving speeches or sermons or making announcements, but not to friendly banter.

Forgive my ignorance but I've never heard of all-way stops...I guess we don't have them in Australia. What is it and how does it work?

Drivers entering the intersection from every direction have a stop sign.  It's also referred to as a four-way stop or a three-way stop (other numbers may exist in uncommon situations).  If you really don't have that there by any other name, then drivers have right-of-way based on the order they stop at the intersection.  If there's a tie, then the driver to the right has right-of-way (though I'm told there are regional variations).

People who yield their right-of-way when they have it, despite their good intentions, tend to just create confusion and actually increase delays and the risk of an accident. 

In line with the all-way stop confusion, people who think that stopping behind a car that is stopped at the intersection acts as a 2-for-1 deal are also a nightmare.  It only counts if you stop at the stop line.  Nowhere else counts.

Oh interesting...I'm fairly sure Australia doesn't have any of these... usually in that situation we would have one of the roads not having to stop at all and the other road would have to stop all the time. That way one road is essentially unbroken and the other road intersects it.

People who insist on petting my guide dog thus distracting her while we are out and she is clearly working in her uniform coat and harness. Last time this happened I walked slap into a crotch high bollard in the pavement (sidewalk) as a result, the bruises were impressive and in a very delicate place ! Please don’t disturb our guide dogs when they are working.

People who start talking to me but then as soon as they realise I am deaf switch to talking  over me to whoever I am with. This said, as much as it annoys me it enrages my wife who is very likely to slap the face of anyone doing this when she is present !

Seeing children in diapers past the age of three.

Going to another parents house and not seeing children's toys and books about the main living area of the home yet big screen TVs, laptops, multiple smartphones and iPads all on display. Every time I come across this I come across this I know its a home of children missing out on the simple joy of parental interaction and play, it makes me weep - why have children at all when you do not spend all the hours you can playing with them.

“I h8 it whn ppl use inet spk n ask ASL?”  What the hell is this gibberish ! Perhaps I am a bit too anal when it comes to language because I have such restricted access to it, but language is utterly wonderful and it deserves some respect, so use it well.

Being addressed as “Dear, Honey or Sweetie” by people who are not relatives or a lover, so rude.

People who think public parks and spaces are a waste of tax payers money, that wild flowers which encourage bees and insects are a menace to their children and should be eradicated - I just want to put a bullet in the worthless brains of those people !

4x4 (SUV) drivers who park in the disabled parking bays simply because they were dumb assed enough to buy a car of idiotic dimensions that they cannot fit into a normal space.

Women in Europe who wear the hijab and niqaab, for goodness sake stop being slaves to that misogynistic  religion, you are not in the middle east now !

Regards,

judith vd R.

It always strikes me as odd that people don't put two and two together on the guide dog thing.   People will say 'Sorry, I didn't l know', but I'm not sure that's really a valid excuse.  Common courtesy means thinking about your actions and considering how they impact others.  If the dog was, for example, a seeing eye dog, stopping the dog to pet it is practically stopping a person to pet their eyeballs.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 13 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service