And I mean the nonreligious stuff. We talk about that all day long here. I'll start...

People who insist on turning against heavy traffic from the driving lane even though there is a middle lane set aside for turning.

People who can't take two additional seconds to push their shopping cart into the stacked carts, but leave it laying around two or three feet away from where it should properly be put.

Men who piss into toilets without putting the seat up and/or don't wipe the seat. (Were you raised in a barn or is it that you're afraid of the germs on the seat but are also afraid of washing your hands after touching something "dirty"?)

Otherwise intelligent people who can't pronounce "nuclear" without putting two u's in it.

Tags: complaints, gripes, groans

Views: 1193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OMGerd--do I hate the vicarious living through your children thing!  I want to free the children.  Run away, run away.  My aunt has always wanted a girlie girl and after raising a tom-boy she's out full force with the pink fluffy accesories on the second daughter.  Cheerleading was inevitable...but at age five?  The poor kid frowns the entire time.  I want to say, "you don't have to be a cheerleader, little cousin.  Go play.  Be happy."

People who categorize all anti-gay sentiment as "homophobia" which means literally "fear of homosexuals." Sometimes it's just outright hatred and has nothing to do with fear. I think it's comforting in an ego-inflating sense to think that one's homosexuality strikes stark terror in the hearts of the opposition, but I doubt if that's always (and perhaps not even mostly) the case.

It could be that they turn their fear into anger as part of a coping mechanism... I'm not a psychologist but it should plausible enough.

It actually also means general antipathy, not just fear.

According to the OED (Canadian Second Edition)

• homophobia: a hatred or fear of or prejudice against homosexuals or homosexuality

I think there can be a tendency here at TA to take the literal or traditional meaning.  Ex.: homo=same(sex, from homosexual) + phobia=fear MUST mean fear of homosexuals.  But language isn't a chemical formula.  I do the same sometimes.

Working in a retail store:

When people fill their carts with a ton of stuff then get to the register and decide they only want 2 items.

When people get to the checkout and think everything is 50 cents or free.

When people pick shit up and bring it ALL THE WAY around the store and through it on a random shelf.

When people let their kids run through the store and tear shit up.

Shopping with that person.  I end up cleaning up their mess out of embarrassment.

people who were clearly there at a stop sign before you, but act like they don't understand how all-way stops work. 

and visa versa, of course

also, i hate when people talk over you right as you're trying to start talking. and they don't even give a courteous pause to see if you really had anything to say, just keep on going.

At the risk of starting a flame war, I find the overly-polite driver typically is a woman. One thing that was drilled into me as a youth is that you cede right of way when it's owned by the other driver, and you take it (with appropriate caution, of course) when it's yours. Otherwise, you're creating an ambiguous situation and potentially putting the innocent party in a bad legal position of they take the bait.

I hate it when people seem unaware of the give and take of conversation. When you want to interject an observation that's pertinent to something the other person just said, it's just good conversational manners to relax, shut up, and let the other person jump in. That thing our parents taught us, to never interrupt another, may apply to people giving speeches or sermons or making announcements, but not to friendly banter.

Forgive my ignorance but I've never heard of all-way stops...I guess we don't have them in Australia. What is it and how does it work?

Drivers entering the intersection from every direction have a stop sign.  It's also referred to as a four-way stop or a three-way stop (other numbers may exist in uncommon situations).  If you really don't have that there by any other name, then drivers have right-of-way based on the order they stop at the intersection.  If there's a tie, then the driver to the right has right-of-way (though I'm told there are regional variations).

People who yield their right-of-way when they have it, despite their good intentions, tend to just create confusion and actually increase delays and the risk of an accident. 

In line with the all-way stop confusion, people who think that stopping behind a car that is stopped at the intersection acts as a 2-for-1 deal are also a nightmare.  It only counts if you stop at the stop line.  Nowhere else counts.

Oh interesting...I'm fairly sure Australia doesn't have any of these... usually in that situation we would have one of the roads not having to stop at all and the other road would have to stop all the time. That way one road is essentially unbroken and the other road intersects it.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 1 hour ago. 22 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 1 Comment

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.