Are peaceful people irrelevant? During a Heritage Foundation (conservative think tank) panel discussion about Benghazi, some poor Muslim girl tried to make the point that while some Muslims are radical, they are the minority. That set off this response

Tags: Islam, Muslims, peace, peaceful, people

Views: 529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would only add that the closest they come to condemning is to say the extremists are not REAL muslims/xians/what have you, which less condemning than it is dodging responsibility.

…and the extremists will say that the moderates are not “real” believers because they have not submitted 100% to their god. The moderate everyday theist is just less deluded than the fundamentalist and cannot or will not condemn them because they all fall for the same delusion. It is just a matter of degrees.

Ever try telling a fundamentalist that he/she is not a true believer? Try it sometime and sit back and watch what happens :-)

They should be screaming “STOP” from the top of every mosque.

Why? I'd think from their perspective it's apparent that they are not one and the same people. But tell me, if an Imam did shout his criticisms of terrorism from the roof tops, are you sure you would hear it?

The moderates of all religions are allowing the extremists to hijack their faith by not speaking out or at least not speaking out loudly enough. By their very inaction they are giving their tacit consent. There is no point in the Pope asking the faithful to pray for world peace if he does not condemn the violence perpetrated in the name of his god. Recently he condemned the Mafia and threatened them with ex-communication so I guess that is a positive PR step.

The Imams in Saudi Arabia and Iran go to great pains to explain to the world that Islam is the “religion of peace”. But they won’t condemn the violence of the Jihadists that crucified Syrian rebels last week. I hear them on the radio and Internet talking in platitudes and trying to explain “the context” of such behaviour as the perpetrators shout “Allah Hu Akbar” and setup their barbaric and primitive Sharia Law systems. I am still waiting to hear any Muslim leader demand that they stop. They may not think they are associated with them but they all profess to believe in the same god. I am still waiting on any Christian leader to do the same. If they do I will hear of it. They are allowing their religion to be usurped by their silence.

Which Muslims are you talking about? All of them, or those in specific regions?

The last question from the panel to the young Muslim girl:

"Can you tell me who the head of the Muslim Peace Movement is?"

Her answer:

"I guess it's me right now."

That is why the "peaceful Muslim" is irrelevant,  Islam IS a religion of HATE run and controlled by the radical violent element and left to it's own devices will continue to cause pain and hardship wherever it exists throughout the world.

Ignore Islam at your peril.

Can you tell me who the head of the christian peace movement is?

For that matter, who leads the atheist peace movement, or the American peace movement, Or the capitalist peace movement?

War requires leadership. Hate requires leadership. Peace does not require leadership.

Peace requires only that individuals develop mutual respect, honesty,  trustworthiness, humility and self discipline.

Can you tell me who the head of the christian peace movement is?

If you research your own question you will find several religious organizations dedicated to peace, Muslim, Christian and others.

While most wars and hate movements have a defined religious element or are god centric, peace movements to be successful tend to be more cosmopolitan and secular in nature, the Peace Movement during the Vietnam war is a good example.

Neither the Christian nor the Muslim religion are particular peaceful, both of their histories are strewn with war, violence, persecution and hate, not much peace.

While the Roman Catholic Church (the original christian church) was the driving force behind The Dark Ages, it is Islam today that pursues a return to those dark times.

War requires leadership. Hate requires leadership. Peace does not require leadership.

You my friend are way off the mark on this one.  All these three concepts require leaders, war and hate can get by with weak leadership, it's peace that requires extraordinary leadership, think Gandhi but even he failed, killed by religious hate.

Peace requires only that individuals develop mutual respect, honesty,  trustworthiness, humility and self discipline.

On some other planet maybe, the history of humankind proves a different reality.

I can't agree with you Gregg.

Peace requires no one telling you what to think, what to fear.
Peace is not reactionary, it is the the natural state we all seek.
Peace needs no organization, therefore peace needs no leaders.

The most peaceful activity an individual can pursue is a nap.

"If you research your own question" Actually I did. There are 1.6 billion Muslims world wide and about 2.8 billion Christians. About 94 percent of Muslim are are peaceful, Of the remaining 6 %, An estimated .05% are radical extremists

"While most wars and hate movements have a defined religious element or are god centric,"

About 7% of terrorist activities are related to religion groups.Most terrorism is driven by political movements.

BTW the Eastern Orthodox church predates the Catholics by 50 years.

@ Gary Clouse:

BTW the Eastern Orthodox church predates the Catholics by 50 years.

Not really.

"Until 1054 AD Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism were branches of the same body—the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. Divisions between these two branches of Christendom had long existed and were constantly increasing. The widening schism was caused by a mix of cultural, political, and religious differences. In 1054 AD a formal split occurred when Pope Leo IX (head of the Roman branch) excommunicated the Patriarch of Constantinople, Michael Cerularius (leader of the Eastern branch), who in turn condemned the pope in mutual excommunication. The churches remain divided and separate to the present date." source

But this is just semantics, I'm sure the main driving force of the atrocities of the Dark Ages were the Popes of the Roman Catholic Church.

.....................................................................................................................

To return to your main point that peace movements don't require leadership, I just don't see the evidence of that.  Our species have been killing each other thru out our history, I don't see where peaceful naps are our natural state.  I like the analogy tho of the peaceful sleeping while the violent slit their throats. 

The fact that the violent ones are so threatened by the peaceful that they find it necessary to assassinate the peaceful indicates peace is a threat,

BYW a little background on the video.

The panel is from a Heritage foundation event promoting anti hillary propaganda over the Benghazi. The ranting woman is Brigitte Gabriel

Also knoe as Nour Saman, she was formerly the voice of the SLA, a now defunct Lebanese Christian terrorist group which received considerable military and financial support from Israel in yhe 1990s.

The fact that the violent ones are so threatened by the peaceful that they find it necessary to assassinate the peaceful indicates peace is a threat,

But your "fact" is just your conjecture/assumption.

BYW a little background on the video.

The panel is from a Heritage foundation event promoting anti hillary propaganda over the Benghazi. The ranting woman is Brigitte Gabriel

Also knoe as Nour Saman, she was formerly the voice of the SLA, a now defunct Lebanese Christian terrorist group which received considerable military and financial support from Israel in yhe 1990s.

I'm not sure what your point is here, but you haven't really attacked the main question of the post with these factoids, which is that the extremists are the ones who drive the events and the peaceful people are irrelevant. Perhaps that is why she and the Israelis aren't peaceful, the alternative apparently being to take a nap.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service