I am about to enter into a nursing program and so have been taking an introductory course on it.  For this course we had to attend presentations made by senior nursing majors that were essentially designs for research projects based on peer-reviewed articles but not actually carrying the research out in the real world.  This is the senior project and it places an emphasis on "evidence-based practice," which has been important in elevating nursing as a profession.

While looking at these presentations, I decided to go over to the one that talked about Therapeutic Touch (TT).  I thought at first that it was talking about the effects of a hands on approach to nursing that was examining the effects of touch on patients.

Nope.  It was actually about TT as a way to manipulate some sort of energy field that somehow extends beyond the human body yet isn't one of the fundamental physical forces or anything else that is recognized by science.  I held my tongue since his evaluator was listening at the time and the presenter noted that the evaluator knew all about it.  I was staring at them because it was so odd to see an open display of belief in something with, as far as I know, no evidence to support it (apart from religion).

I remember watching an episode of Penn & Teller Bullshit that dealt with new age medicine and such.  In the episode, they have a girl on who has/had the Guiness world record as the youngest person to have research published in a medical journal.  At age 9 she showed that 21 practitioners of TT did worse than chance at being able to blindly guess whether her hand was over their right or left hand.  They only guessed correctly 4.1/10 times on average.  That happened in '98.  Yet studies continue to be done on the effects of TT while still making the claim that practitioners can sense a universal human energy field or something and then make a patient better by manipulating it.

This seems like a horribly unscientific thing to do for a profession that is trying to back up its practices with evidence-based research.  It's false and gives patients false hope.  If the benefit of it is the placebo effect, then it should be taught in such a way that practitioners know this and understand how to use it without teaching a lie to a patient.  However, it appears that proponents of it are still making miracle claims.

So I suppose I'm nervous that I'm going to have to fight against bullshit like this while learning and while practicing.  I want to be able to call "bullshit" when I see something like this, but I think that it would ruffle to many feathers.

Does anyone here work in nursing (or medicine) and see anything like this?  What are your thoughts on TT or other "alternative" or "new age" "medicines"?  Have you ever dealt with nurses or doctors who insist on wasting your time with these things?

Views: 887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OMG

I'm just letting you guys know so that when you're in the middle of a massage and you make a joke like that, you're not surprised if they stop the session and tell you to put your clothes on and meet them up front to pay full price and leave immediately. Lol up to you.

Sense of humor anyone? 

You're treating me like I'm an idiot who doesn't know that happy endings don't go for real masseurs/masseuses. I think everyone here knows that. THAT is the context that makes it a joke.

I know exactly what you said and how you meant it. And when you are sexually harassed by someone a foot taller and a hundred pounds heavier than you at your job, you can joke away all you want. In the mean time it's not something most people in that situation would find "humorous". putting a winky face after a stupid remark doesn't excuse the stupid remark.

We all understand that as well. 

RE: "You're treating me like I'm an idiot" - hmmmm

Perhaps there's some hidden meaning behind this?

With Unseen, you never know --

He's never been known for his good taste --

The laying of hands on wallets....that's all it is....a little reading here.

Ugh. My friend just visited today. She used to be a nurse. We got to talking about homeopathy and she revealed her experience of therapeutic touch during radiation treatment. She said she felt so relaxed and immediately she "saw" an image of Jesus floating over her. I had to refrain from asking if he was also in a supine position. As I explained that the energy forces of TT, Reiki and Chakras do not exist according to objective experimentation and what is known about the properties of energy and matter... she interrupted me. She began to talk about the "science" of how it works and I had to lay down the reality fast and hard. You don't get to pervert the word "scientific" like that. Not in my house. lol. 

On a lighter note, I learned that a local nun has become a Reike Master. She offers classes, for a price, of course. The Catholic ministry of far-eastern woo is expensive! I wonder if you can pay in hail-Mary's.

I have seen amazing results with personal touch such as Reiki. Nothing magical or spiritual about it. Touch and care in combination is a powerful force and often better than traditional medicine where they send no time touching your body where the pain and problems exist. Also, those who truly believe in the healing powers of touch and care dint charge money and make profit from helping in this way.

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 2 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 6 hours ago. 12 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Davis Goodman 9 hours ago. 63 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 10 hours ago. 7 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service