The Way to Be Happy is to Make Others Happy - "discuss"

What do you think? 

Views: 1014

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You can be OK and comfortable, strong and secure, have all your material needs taken care of, but that isn't the same as being happy. 

In fact you need to be OK in order to make others happy, and you need to be OK so that you're not depriving yourself of resources when you help others. 

You say "In fact," but in fact I think that's your opinion. I think people often make themselves unhappy while making others happy.

Sorry, just a turn of phrase. 

"I think people often make themselves unhappy while making others happy."

This is true. 

It's also possible for someone who is already unhappy, to cause someone else's happiness. 

However, I contend that that the unhappy person will be a little bit happier afterwards. 

@Unseen - RE: "people often make themselves unhappy while making others happy" - I certainly can't imagine you arrived at this though personal experience --

I just realized that by turning your assertion around, it would follow that other people are happy only when I am happy, and I can tell you for sure that that is NOT TRUE.

But they can always become happy through other means - they don't need to have been made happy by you and me. 

If I'm trying to influence someone else's happiness, if it's not necessary for me to be happy, at least it is necessary for me to know what I'm doing. 

It is also a sad truth that it gives many people pleasure when they see that somebody else is unhappy. 

many people pleasure when they see that somebody else is unhappy

Schadenfreude

Listeni/ˈʃɑːdənfrɔɪdə/ (German: [ˈʃaːdənˌfʁɔʏdə]) is pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.[1] This German word is used as a loanword in English and some other languages, and has been calqued in Danish and Norwegian as skadefryd and in Swedish asskadeglädje and Finnish as vahingonilo.

(And I hope everyone clicks on every link. Or hates that I left out the word "gives". Hahahahahahahahahaha! Hahahahahahahahahaha! Hahahahahahahahahaha! Hahahahahahahahahaha!)

@Unseen - Recalling your "sackful of kittens and a hammer," I think I can safely assume that that's an accurate statement.

Did I say that? I thought I had made reference to a box full of puppies and a chainsaw.

I'd suggest this discussion should be more analog, and less true/false binary. There's even analog wrt a box of puppies and a chainsaw. Like, I'd draw my line at never having fuel in (or an extension cord for) the chainsaw. Just the noise would cause trauma. Unless it were some future, super-quiet chainsaw.

"more analog, and less true/false binary"

Agreed.  Like real life, in fact.  50 shades of grey. 

If my partner isn't happy, I'm not happy.

RSS

Forum

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 60 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk 3 hours ago. 0 Replies

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 16 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service