I am curious to know some references etc or historical documents that can discuss how the doctrine of the trinity came about. Any of you former ministers/pastors etc...i want to understand it. It's my understanding that it's a matter of historical fact that it was invented, I just want to read all of that for myself. I also want to read something that discusses the history of the church......Any and all recommendations welcome. Thanks!!

Views: 273

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is a great Mystery.
Reg I know you too well.... your forgot the hyperlink lol
When I was in school I would ask the religion indoctrinators what the "Trinity" meant. This was always considered to be an "intelligent question". I would listen to their theological nonsense explanations and keep questioning them until they were exasperated with me. Before they got the chance to say it, I would suggest that "It is a great mystery, just like God. I suppose it's all a circulation of mind and will as Aquinas would say, don't you think?

Get out of my class now!!!

Certainly, that is very Christian of you.
Hahaha! Lmfao!

Hi Belle - I thought you might be interested in the following article concerning the early development and understanding of the Trinity. I'm not attempting to make a defense, its solidified in my mind. Though I'd admit, conceptually its a hard pill to swallow.

"It has become extremely common for various persons of an anti-Trinitarian persuasion (henceforth called Arians, though there are others) to treat the Christological witness of the Early Fathers as though it consisted of a veritable arsenal with which to assault Nicene Christians, or, at the very least, as though the first three centuries of Christology was a historical period that should cause us some kind of discomfort. This essay is an attempt to show why this is not at all true. The manner in which this will be demonstrated will be somewhat awkward, hence a brief preface is in order.

http://www.tektonics.org/guest/psnicea.html

The article mentions....

....And now we arrive at what is the heart of my Christology: 'grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God...

Not totally correct as 'ole Moses got a good look at God's butt in one of the oddest passages:

===========

Exodus 33:21-23

Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock: And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by , that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by : And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.”

===========

So god showed off his ass to a dude....hmmm....I am sure there is an alternate interpretation differing from my immediate reaction.

This concept of mortals being unable to look upon gods may have been borrowed from earlier religions. The Greek mortal Semele, pregnant with Zeus’s son Dionysus, foolishly asks to see her divine lover in all his glory.  When he reveals himself, she is burnt to a crisp, and Zeus has to rescue Dionysus from her womb.

Belle! So good to see that you and many other familiar names are still here. It's been awhile since I checked in.

The short answer is that it comes from logic applied to scripture. The long answer is that in the early days of the Christianity there were several ways of thinking about the relationship between the Son, Father, and Spirit, some of which were more popular than the others. If you want an intellectual history of the source of trinitarianism and explanation for where it came from, try the Catholic Encyclopedia. Once you get past the "but I'm right!" language, you'll see some other ideas to research more in depth like Arius and Sabellius. It was at the First Council of Nicea that the trinitarian view of God was affirmed and all others were considered heretics.

What Reg said is right, it is considered a mystery. In the language of the Catholic church it means that we wouldn't know about it if it wasn't for divine revelation and even then it defies common sense. If one doesn't accept divine revelation, then one has no need of accepting trinitarianism, and even if one does, it still must be admitted that it seems ridiculous. O.o

Sag Hawk!!!!!!!!where the hell have you been dude? Lol We missed you!!

School, work, now school again and just life in general moving along at what at times seems to be a perilous clip. How are you?

(For some reason, the site wouldn't allow me to reply to you but it would to myself? Weird.)

The Trinity, was imposed by the council of Nicea by Constantines team of Bishops.

It has pagan origins, noteably originating form Athanasius a oriental bishop, steep in Zoroastrianism. He was the prime proponent whose views were initially rejects.

It's a non biblical concept that constituted a significant departure from the miracle beaering apostolic faith and created the grounds for todays Orthodoxy. However an assault the Hebraic roots has lead to many pagan infusions including the Babylonian Mysteries and Tammuz celebrated durin the Winter Solstices celebrated as Christmas. Alledgely Jesus's birthday, falsely called. Jews do not celebrate birthdays: a complete pagan infusion, tipping the iceberg of the falsehood, known today as Orthodoxy

RSS

© 2019   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service