The effect of the just-released Supreme Court decision is to give gays equal rights under the law, effectively undermining DOMA. 

They cited the Equal Protection clause, so this wasn't decided on a states rights basis. It has the effect of Federal law. 

Now, gays can apply for benefits which had been limited to heterosexual couples under DOMA. 

DOMA is gone!

Tags: Court, DOMA, Federal, Supreme, gays, law

Views: 614

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On a totally unrelated note (surprised?):

"First Atheist Monument: Please come join American Atheists for the dedication of the first ever monument to atheism at the Bradford County courthouse square this Saturday, June 29 in Stark, FL. This monument is being placed to complement the ten commandments monument that is already there."

Could we use this as a common come back for the 'hard to deflate' class of theists we get here?

Has it gotten quiet here since the ruling, or are we just seeing a nice moment of theist remorse?

"Rep. Michelle Bachman (R-MN) declared that that “no man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted”.

File that statement here!

Some of the grey areas left by the Supreme Court's decision yesterday, might be addressed if the new "Respect for Marriage Act" passes through the Legislature.  Here is a short synopsis.

Great. Now we just need marriage equality in all 50 states. It should be easy to do since this ruling suggests that there is no relevant difference between gay and straight couples in terms of marriage. This ruling makes it a lot more possible for the courts to decide even in my home state of Alabama that both straight and gay couples should be able to enjoy the full benefits of marriage.

While I still can't get married because I live in Texas, this decision does mean that I can go to another state that does allow it, and it will still count when I get back home. Now we just have to get them to work on the Patriot Act, and The Citizens United decision. Maybe we'll get lucky and a some of the older, more butthurt ones will die off and we'll get some actual American's in the Supreme court, rather than these right and left wingers.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 24 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service